What do you think KSC recovery team looks like?

ARS

2 hours ago, LordFerret said:

It's truly amazing that any science gets done.

Huh? They do science?

Wonder if they do it by locking a couple people in a room and refuse to give them snacks until they figure something out.

Hi all

Since I first started playing KSP I always felt the game needed rickety looking 1950s style helicopters like the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikorsky_H-34 flying in to recover the Mk1 Capsule from the sea, or grasslands.

And I think Jeb should take out his fishing pole and get some quality fishing time done while he waits for the recovery team. Bob and Bill are just way too professional and will continue fretting about their precarious situation until they're back at the Astronaut Complex. I don't know what Val would do.

Regards

Orc

Hi all and LordFerret in Particular.

That is exactly the sort of helicopter I had imagined. It needs to be in the same colors as the vehicle and ground crew that move around the interior of the VAB, and needs to fly erratically with occasional puffs of ominous black smoke.

Despite all this the Kerbal waiting to be recovered will STILL BE HAPPY to see it. What hidden dangers lurk beneath the otherwise tranquil terrain of Kerbin? Could these unseen terrors have something to do with the sudden urgency that Kerbals have about leaving their home world?

Regards

Orc

4 hours ago, Orc said:

Despite all this the Kerbal waiting to be recovered will STILL BE HAPPY to see it. What hidden dangers lurk beneath the otherwise tranquil terrain of Kerbin? Could these unseen terrors have something to do with the sudden urgency that Kerbals have about leaving their home world?

Land sharks.

There is a video floating about somewhere on the line in which a talented individual has created a full recovery team; boats, planes. trucks, etc. I tried to find the link as i have posted it before. Unfortunately I could not, if someone can find it please post it. I imagine the Kerbal recovery team looks very similar to this. 

• 2 weeks later...

They probably use one of these...

That's just for the Kerbals though. For the capsule, a large "FOR SALE" sign is placed. Some guy named Jeb usually buys these for his junkyard, but only so that he can sell them back to the KSC at a higher price.

• 5 weeks later...

@luizopiloto Those are some brilliant designs. Very fun to watch. And that helicopter was incredibly clever, though evidently somewhat difficult to accurately pilot. I really feel like I should make some spacecraft recovery vehicles like that some time, though perhaps not a helicopter (I think that's a bit beyond my engineering capabilities).

I always assumed it was some sort of cross between International Rescue and SHADO, but staffed by Kerbals all hidden underground.  And despite what I expect would be more...interesting times during the recovery than the preceding mission, never seen, never told.  Like Tag and Bink, somehow it all never gets noticed.

2 hours ago, dangerhamster said:

Good team for a bank job but lacking the greatest space engineer of them all.

What, Bill Kerman was too busy up in the galley eating snacks again!?!  Never shows up for the photos. :)

Ha, I like the car wash.

I have a plane in my fleet designed for crew recovery. For craft that have landed in terrain where the plane can't land it air drops a rover to bring the crew to the landing site.

33vnnfq.jpg

I see no reason why the rover couldn't be dropped with a recovery crew and tools to dismantle the craft to be recovered. I also have this old quad tiltrotor design. It's equipped with a grapple for carrying cargo, so it could be used haul salvaged goods back to waiting transports, or even used in case of a water landing.

nezj4.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.