LF suggestions/help on new plane part concept

Avalon877

17 hours ago, TheKurgan said:

Have you tried OPT? the smaller Juno and Stail parts would be to your liking I think... but keep going!! we all like new stuff :)

I do like OPT, but the cockpit style is still not what I'm looking for. Maybe It's the thrill of designing your own stuff and flying it, I dont know!

11 hours ago, Urses said:

For your parts Collection it would be helpful to go and take a look at MK2 Extension and MKIV addons.

You will get a idea which parts are must haves to build a Part package?

The Cocpit looks realy interesting. And one option would be a switchable option for the Meshs? 

1. Like now (loocks realy nice!)

2. Free colliders for personally decidebale intakes.

3. Something like a open mouth intake on belly side?

My 2 pence for brainstorming:wink:

Funny Kabooms 

Urses 

A switchable mesh, didn't think about that, good suggestion, has that been done before? It's a good idea to make the air intakes optional. What I could also do, is make it like the MK IV, and make modules that can be fit on to complete the cockpit. So intakes, or airodynamic shapes or maybe even extra lighting or something?

Could you explane what you mean with the free coliders?

I realy like the open belly intake, perhaps it can connect to the side intakes, make it one huge intake. But then again, I dont wanna overdo it, maybe an intake is not always needed.

Thanks for thinking along, I't realy helpfull. :)

Intakes seem to only make sense on craft that will be primarily atmospheric flying?  I'd personally get more use out of something that is more 'spaceship,' but I'll never tell anyone what to include in their mod!   Yes, there ARE a couple of plugins that allow you to swap meshes from the right click menu in the VAB...   but damned if I remember what they are?   I think the JSI utilities might have this feature?  At least it can switch on and off parts of a mesh and swap textures, maybe?  

13 hours ago, Avalon877 said:

A switchable mesh, didn't think about that, good suggestion, has that been done before? It's a good idea to make the air intakes optional. What I could also do, is make it like the MK IV, and make modules that can be fit on to complete the cockpit. So intakes, or airodynamic shapes or maybe even extra lighting or something?

Could you explane what you mean with the free coliders?

I realy like the open belly intake, perhaps it can connect to the side intakes, make it one huge intake. But then again, I dont wanna overdo it, maybe an intake is not always needed.

Thanks for thinking along, I't realy helpfull. :)

Example for switchable mesh you can find in MK2 Expansion. One Cockpit with 3 Models in it. You can toggle the models per switch.

Open Colliders would be a 1.25m format colliders on the 4 or 5 mesh point on your actual intakes where you can add the vanila or mod intakes or nosecones moduled to fit your design. This way you have 1 modeled cockpit with a great flexibility and nice look.

Funny Kabooms 

Urses 

On 6/28/2017 at 4:38 AM, Alshain said:

Are those intakes at the front?  Intakes cause drag, if they are too far in front of the CoM it rips the plane around.

In your Imgur album I see a cockpit that looks allot like mine, with the discription : Condor - Station core delivery system, from the Aquila enterprises. Is it from a mod? and what are the cylindrical shaped/tubes along the sides of the plane for? From cocpit to tail.

On 6/28/2017 at 4:29 AM, artwhaley said:

Intakes seem to only make sense on craft that will be primarily atmospheric flying?  I'd personally get more use out of something that is more 'spaceship,' but I'll never tell anyone what to include in their mod!   Yes, there ARE a couple of plugins that allow you to swap meshes from the right click menu in the VAB...   but damned if I remember what they are?   I think the JSI utilities might have this feature?  At least it can switch on and off parts of a mesh and swap textures, maybe?  

You said more spaceship, that sounds interesting! Anything particular you have in mind?

11 hours ago, Avalon877 said:

Update, 2 meshes! One with intakes, the other with the bulge resolves into the cockpit. Is anything still missing? Think the rest is texture work.

wip_2.JPG

wip_3.JPG

Really good, are you going to make the RCS Ports/Hatches/Details as a bump map or as a part of the model?

Thanks for the nice comments!

On 4-7-2017 at 0:00 PM, HorizonFulcrum said:

Really good, are you going to make the RCS Ports/Hatches/Details as a bump map or as a part of the model?

I'm not sure yet, thinking of making the hatch part of the model but RCS ports will probably be too small. I'll make them like om the MK2, so that they are not actual RCS ports. You mean like these right?:

rcsports.JPG?dl=1

It would be great to create it in the model, but I don't want it to be too heavy. Is there a limit or guideline to what the max amount of triangles is for a part? Right now it's roughly the same as the MK2 inline ckockpit.

Edited by Avalon877
broken link

8 hours ago, Avalon877 said:

Thanks for the nice comments!

I'm not sure yet, thinking of making the hatch part of the model but RCS ports will probably be too small. I'll make them like om the MK2, so that they are not actual RCS ports. You mean like these right? :rcsports.JPG

It would be great to create it in the model, but I don't want it to be too heavy. Is there a limit or guideline to what the max amount of triangles is for a part? Right now it's roughly the same as the MK2 inline ckockpit.

Yeah, that;s what I meant.

On 6/30/2017 at 2:54 AM, Avalon877 said:

In your Imgur album I see a cockpit that looks allot like mine, with the discription : Condor - Station core delivery system, from the Aquila enterprises. Is it from a mod? and what are the cylindrical shaped/tubes along the sides of the plane for? From cocpit to tail.

Sorry I didn't get back to you.  Those are from the B9 pack (that's a really old plane built for KSP 0.25, it wouldn't fly in KSP today) and the outer tubes are fuel tanks, they piece together along the hull (also from B9).

Edited by Alshain

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2017 at 3:20 PM, Avalon877 said:

Update, 2 meshes! One with intakes, the other with the bulge resolves into the cockpit. Is anything still missing? Think the rest is texture work.

Thank you for fixing the nose cone, the first version was a nice, clean, elegant mesh with a nose cone that looked like it had been physically hammered on :) The design is really nice and will provide yet more cool spaceplanes, Johnny Quest would be totally pumped.

Another awesome cockpit/wing that's needed:

Related image

Related image

Related image

• 4 weeks later...
On 6-8-2017 at 2:18 PM, NISSKEPCSIM said:

These are all some brilliant tutorials for stockalike texturing, if that's what you're looking for:

Those are perfect, thank you very much!!

On 7-8-2017 at 0:15 AM, vossiewulf said:

Thank you for fixing the nose cone, the first version was a nice, clean, elegant mesh with a nose cone that looked like it had been physically hammered on :) The design is really nice and will provide yet more cool spaceplanes, Johnny Quest would be totally pumped.

Thanks for the kind words! :-)

On 6-8-2017 at 8:10 AM, HorizonFulcrum said:

Don't mean to rush you @Avalon877, just curious to see how your progress has been so far.

Sorry guys, I had to stop for I while. I'm getting payed right now to make a short animation :cool: It will be finished next week, and I will finally and slowly pick this up again! By the way, I see my picture links came down, I'll fix those.

Edited by Avalon877

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.