Azimech

Has Azimech gone insane?

Recommended Posts

Nope, I already was.

I made this unnamed jet fighter because I wanted to say something to "the KerbalX uploader". And I'm also very happy with the result.

  • What you see on KerbalX every week is a pattern. Fighter Jets. Some are original designs but often you see yet another A-10 Warthog, F16 Fighting Falcon etc etc. Gazillions of fighter jets are uploaded and often without ever looking if the type already exists and why it would ever stand out from the others (in the case of the A-10, just use the search, if that doesn’t give you the BRRRRT, I don’t know what will).

  • I would never touch the freedom users have to upload whatever they like. But with almost 20k designs on this website, you gotta do something extra to stand out of the crowd.

  • So I’ve chosen to build a fighter this time to have the opportunity to write that little thing above. You can do with it as you please. Judge it, take note, whatever floats your boat and don’t worry, I don’t care.

  • Okay, about this plane. It’s a multi-role. With tanks full (3200 units) it’s a fast interceptor and can supercruise at Mach 2+ at most altitudes.

  • With tanks filled at 1/3 it becomes a dogfighter. While not supermaneuverable, it’s decent enough for such a heavy crate. It also becomes a STOL. Look at the last picture in the album.

  • Flight control is excellent. Most of the time you don’t need SAS. Actually you never will. It never stalls (until proven otherwise by some excellent pilot).

  • Fast & lazy control sequence for taking off: Press 3,4,5,Z,1,2. You don’t even need to switch on SAS or touch the controls. Yes it will drive off the runway, no it doesn’t matter.

  • Landing: switch off roll on the rear outboard elevons to make the controls less twitchy. The rest: just try how crazy you can be with this one. The one thing I know for sure is it can’t land inverted.

  • Fun experiment: with dry tanks and at 3000m altitude, at any pitch or roll angle, just toggle the flaps, switch off SAS if enabled and lower the landing gear. If the terrain is flat enough, it will land itself without control input.

  • There’s enough room for hardpoints for the BDA lovers. This thing can do anything: CAP, bombing, intercept and air superiority.

  • Flying at Mach 2.2 it has a range of 29.000 km!

 

If you're still interested, you can download it here.

 

Edited by Azimech
Tested the fuel economy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You've been insane for a long time, @Azimech, and we like you that much more for it. Beautiful plane. Aside from the four landing gear, there seems to be a theme of three present in this design, so maybe a name of Trinity would fit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SchwinnTropius said:

You've been insane for a long time, @Azimech, and we like you that much more for it. Beautiful plane. Aside from the four landing gear, there seems to be a theme of three present in this design, so maybe a name of Trinity would fit?

Great suggestion and thanks! But I'm thinking ... since this is a weird plane anyway ... what do you think of the name Trinifour?

Ya know ... just to see the question marks floating above the heads of people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Azimech said:

So I’ve chosen to build a fighter this time to have the opportunity to write that little thing above.

Lots of users build non-replica fighters though. Most competition or performance ones are completely original or only lightly based on existing designs, so this isn't really groundbreaking or anything.

And to be completely honest, I don't really like its aesthetics. That's completely personal though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Azimech said:

what do you think of the name Trinifour?

Oh, like the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy trilogy of 4?

Weird. But that's ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, it is a taildragger aircraft. Almost no one builds it anymore. But otherwise, it is up to modern standards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Joseph Kerman said:

Ah, it is a taildragger aircraft. Almost no one builds it anymore. But otherwise, it is up to modern standards.

Yeah, I really love taildraggers. I'm a WW2 airplane nut. And besides they have a number of advantages (and disadvantages) ... the main reason jets use a nose gear is to prevent damage to the tarmac. Because KSP doesn't model this damage, I fully exploit this "feature". My first SSTO is a taildragger. The only controls are: 1. switch on SAS, 2. enable engines at full thrust, 3. retract landing gear, 4. kill throttle when you have the right AP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Azimech said:

Yeah, I really love taildraggers. I'm a WW2 airplane nut. And besides they have a number of advantages (and disadvantages) ... the main reason jets use a nose gear is to prevent damage to the tarmac. Because KSP doesn't model this damage, I fully exploit this "feature". My first SSTO is a taildragger. The only controls are: 1. switch on SAS, 2. enable engines at full thrust, 3. retract landing gear, 4. kill throttle when you have the right AP.

Wanna try the jet (pass it to TAPE, he needs to see this)?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where are the propellers or the turbo-shafts? Downvoted. 

Insane? Maybe Lunatic. 

Edited by Jon144

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pfft, fighter jets.... I agree with you though, it is quite boring to  I only make tanks, rockets, and occasionally things that are superior to every single vehicle in the game. See image below: 

Spoiler

2WUKTxy.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ghostbuzzer7 said:

Pfft, fighter jets.... I agree with you though, it is quite boring to  I only make tanks, rockets, and occasionally things that are superior to every single vehicle in the game. See image below: 

  Hide contents

2WUKTxy.png

 

Nice! What species is that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Nice! What species is that?

We call her the all-in-one fighter jet.

Advertisement Skit:

Do you need a plane? We got you. Do you need mobile drill? We got you. Do you need a relay satellite? We got that covered too. You see with the "Average Fighter Jet", she packs everything need to do it all. She can even travel at a lightning fast 75 m/s at sea level, now that's some crazy speed for a mobile brick I'd say! Turn rate is around 15 degrees per second. We wanted to rethink fighter jets so rather than giving her bombs, she is the bombs (part clipped with 107 parts of glory and 57 tons). So come pick yourself your very own all in one. VOID if missing part(s)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ghostbuzzer7 said:

We call her the all-in-one fighter jet.

Advertisement Skit:

Do you need a plane? We got you. Do you need mobile drill? We got you. Do you need a relay satellite? We got that covered too. You see with the "Average Fighter Jet", she packs everything need to do it all. She can even travel at a lightning fast 75 m/s at sea level, now that's some crazy speed for a mobile brick I'd say! Turn rate is around 15 degrees per second. We wanted to rethink fighter jets so rather than giving her bombs, she is the bombs (part clipped with 107 parts of glory and 57 tons). So come pick yourself your very own all in one. VOID if missing part(s)

That's pretty original :-)

On 26-6-2017 at 3:54 AM, NotAnAimbot said:

Lots of users build non-replica fighters though. Most competition or performance ones are completely original or only lightly based on existing designs, so this isn't really groundbreaking or anything.

And to be completely honest, I don't really like its aesthetics. That's completely personal though.

I never said it was groundbreaking ;-)

And I don't care how it looks, I didn't build it for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ghostbuzzer7 said:

We call her the all-in-one fighter jet.

Advertisement Skit:

Do you need a plane? We got you. Do you need mobile drill? We got you. Do you need a relay satellite? We got that covered too. You see with the "Average Fighter Jet", she packs everything need to do it all. She can even travel at a lightning fast 75 m/s at sea level, now that's some crazy speed for a mobile brick I'd say! Turn rate is around 15 degrees per second. We wanted to rethink fighter jets so rather than giving her bombs, she is the bombs (part clipped with 107 parts of glory and 57 tons). So come pick yourself your very own all in one. VOID if missing part(s)

I can't stop myself from laughing at this one....

 

I do remember building a cargo plane that apparently broke Mach 1 when it reached the sea. Oh, and my SSTO (Sinking Stage To Orbit) prototypes can unintentionally recover from a unintentional flat spin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Azimech said:

I never said it was groundbreaking ;-)

On 6/25/2017 at 5:10 PM, Azimech said:

I would never touch the freedom users have to upload whatever they like. But with almost 20k designs on this website, you gotta do something extra to stand out of the crowd.

That's what I interpreted from it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NotAnAimbot said:

 

That's what I interpreted from it.

Ah ... yeah I can imagine why it would sound that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2017 at 4:10 PM, Azimech said:

Has Azimech gone insane?

Yes...if nothing else for referring to himself in the third person. :sticktongue:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.