Airplane Replicas

Hello!

I've been searching around websites, and I've discovered a lack of shareable aircraft files. Henceforth, I challenge the great airplane designers to accurately model an aircraft of their choice. However, I have some guidelines.

1. If submitting a design, I'd like screenshots of the aircraft, and a link to the shareable. Also, if possible, include an image of the original aircraft you've modeled!

2. The aircraft the designer is using must be an aircraft that has been in service. I don't want to stray into prototypes that never flew, blueprint aircraft, etc. 

3. Keep the mod use to a minimum, though don't be afraid to use them. I'm fine if you need a mod for engines, landing gear, etc., but we're aiming for a stock-alike build.

4. The aircraft replica must fly under its own power and fuel without cheats, and must be stable. 

Thank you, and have a safe flight!

-RussianAround

I know you're still pretty new to the forum. And I understand you're still full or wonder and overflowing with, in your mind, new and unique ideas.
Trust me, this idea is neither new nor unique. It's been done countless times. And there are probably a few of those replica threads still active. I'd suggest you search for those.

How about this?

X-13 Vertijet - Stock replica of the 1950's era experimental test jet

Hide contents

Copied from the X-Jet of the Day post, which this was created for.

1024px-Ryan_X-13.jpg

The Vertijet was one of the first attempts of the US Air Force at a VTOL aircraft. It was actually derived from a though of whether the Ryan FR-1 Fireball would be able to take off vertically, given its greater than 1:1 TWR at low fuel levels. Interested, the United States Navy's Bureau of Aeronautics issued a contract to conduct testing in that area with the interest in submarine based aircraft. This craft was one pat of a larger program. After small tests between 1947 and 1951, Ryan was awarded a contract to develop a full jet powered VTOL aircraft, designated the X-13. Two were built.

S0Kr2PK.png

Interestingly, the craft was just about big enough to hold the pilot in a rotating seat and the Rolls-Royce Avon engine, producing 44 000 N of thrust. Control was maintained by thrust vectoring in the pitch and yaw directions and small puffer jets on the wingtips controlled roll. Underneath the aircraft was a small hook used for hanging (yes hanging) the craft from the test stand which could be raised or lowered for transport or for testing VTOL capabilities. This hook was also used for "landing" the craft during testing, conducted by pilot Peter F. "Pete" Girard and W. L. "Lou" Everett.

ohHB4Nd.jpg

First takeoff (horizontal) occurred in December of 1955. Afterwards, hooking practice was done before the first full flight where the craft took off vertically, transitioned to horizontal flight and back and hooked again in 1957. It was also apparently demonstrated in July of the same year in Washington DC. Development was canceled later that year as no operational requirement existed. Both prototypes were retired to museums.

Vj3J28D.png

The replica does not handle well as well as I'd like - Pitch is often sluggish to respond at high speeds, so be warned. Otherwise, it is quite stable.

Link to download: https://kerbalx.com/qzgy/Ryan-X-13-Vertijet
I have also made an experimental trailer that can be raised and lowered. It does not work currently, but if you are willing to try, go ahead! Link: https://kerbalx.com/qzgy/Vertijet-Trailer

Or this? XV-4B - Stock replica of the craft with the same name.

Hide contents

The XV-4 Hummingbird, or originally the VZ-10, was a US Army project researching the feasibility of a VTOL aircraft for surveillance purposes. It was part of a line of V/STOL projects conducted in the 1960's.

xv4-4.jpg

2 variants were made, the XV-4A and XV-4B. They differed in the method in which the vertical capabilities were achieved. The first prototype (XV-4A) had two JT-12 engines that had the thrust redirected through multiple nozzles to achieve vertical takeoff, helped by a secondary flow of cold air. However, this produced an abysmal 1.04 TWR which was below performance estimates, and the prototype later crashed on the 10th of June in 1964 with the unfortunate loss of the pilot. The second version as modified between 1966 and 1968 so that the JT-12 engines replaced by 6 J85 turbojets, with 4 acting as dedicated lift jets and the other two able to be diverted for vertical thrust. Additional changes were made to the aircraft, including the addition of an SAS system and conversion to a hybrid fly-by-wire system. The second prototype crashed the 14th of March, 1969, with the pilot managing to safely eject (an improvement over the last crash, if a bit grim).

nP9m42b.png         

While the first takeoff was early July of 1962, actual tests of VTOL capability was first conducted on a tether in November of the same year, with free hovers beginning in May of the next year. The 8th of November 1963 marked the first full transition from hovering to horizontal flight. Testing on the second vehicle was cut short by the crash, leaving little to no record to be found (on the internet, at least).

c4Nmcx5.png

Builder Notes: Like the real thing, the lift jets are angled at about 10 to 20 degrees. Keep this in mind when flying. Also try to remember to enable RCS for better control.  Action group info on the KerbalX page.

Download Link: https://kerbalx.com/qzgy/XV-4B

4 hours ago, Azimech said:

@qzgy although I admire your wonderful replica's, in the rules he states that the aircraft had to be in service, no X-planes ;-)

Ah, ok. But, technically, "must be an aircraft that has been in service". Those planes did fly and were registered with the military.... I would argue that's enough, but I won't fight if they are rejected.

Anyways.

Z2SFaME.png

A-10-A_Thunderbolt_II.jpg

A-10. Needs BDA. https://kerbalx.com/qzgy/A-10

I also have some other replica stuff on KerbalX, but those also need BDA as it was for dogfighting....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.