[0.20] RemoteTech: Relay Network – V 0.5.0.1

JDP

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, I search through the thread and didn't see anyone else reporting it.

I have a the crewpod full of five kerbals in orbit around Kerbin. There's a RemoteCommand module attached to it. It still reads "No Radio Contact" or whatever on the comsat list. Is this a bug? Do I need to have a kerbal in the regular pod that's connected to the crewpod for it to send out a signal?

@Zuff- Do you have any antennas/sat dishes attached to your craft? The 'remote command' unit does not transmit a signal on its own, it needs an antenna or sat dish to do so.

side-note: a fully staffed 'remote command craft' does not need to be in contact with KSC for it to transmit its own command signal.

Remote command + 5 kerbals + 5000k antenna and/or 50000k satellite dish=profit. No KSC connection required.

Hmm, i've had something similar happen in the very early stages of development, before release even. The whole ship would be rotated sideways and be completely uncontrollable and completely unaffected by physics. The cause turned out to be an uncaught exception thrown by incorectly iterating through a list of strings. Something akin to that might happen here. If it happens again, try looking at the debug menu and see if an error is printed to the console. It might still not be remotetech, but i find it very curious that only the rt part has a physical flaw.

Is your refueling station activated debris, or an original vessel?

It has a Remote command pod, so it's an original vessel. I'll see if i can reproduce the bug.

@Zuff- Do you have any antennas/sat dishes attached to your craft? The 'remote command' unit does not transmit a signal on its own, it needs an antenna or sat dish to do so.

side-note: a fully staffed 'remote command craft' does not need to be in contact with KSC for it to transmit its own command signal.

Remote command + 5 kerbals + 5000k antenna and/or 50000k satellite dish=profit. No KSC connection required.

EDIT - NVM, seems to work. I just put a remote controlled sattellite out and it's reciving a signal just fine from the command ship. Maybe I did something wrong last night. Oh well. Love it!

It has 4 Dishes + 1 Long Range Dish. It also has 2 antennae. There's a three-man pod connected to the 5 man crewpod tank. At the very bottom there is the RemoteCommand module. Here's a picture:

0oRzXl.png

ahuVcl.png

There's no one in the 3 man pod, but 5 in the crewpod tank.

What am I doing wrong? I can't this vessel to send a signal to other remote craft unless it has direct contact with KSC

Edited by zuff

i seem to have found a bug, if you have an unmanned command module (like one of the MechJeb eyes) and put an empty crew pod on the ship then it will always give the you need a crew to launch the ship error no mater what you do with it. if you remove the empty pod the ship flys just fine

i seem to have found a bug, if you have an unmanned command module (like one of the MechJeb eyes) and put an empty crew pod on the ship then it will always give the you need a crew to launch the ship error no mater what you do with it. if you remove the empty pod the ship flys just fine

That's a known bug with MechJeb and with RemoteTech (it's # 3 in the list of known bugs). Alchemist had a brilliand idea for fixing it a couple of pages back, and the fix is planned for release in v0.4.

I have not been able to reproduce the bug but i think it might be related to this KSP bug:

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/15664-0-16-Vessel-parts-misaligned-broken-on-flight-resume

It could very well be a KSP bug, but since so many other plugins are involved it could just as easilly be one of those, or a cross-effect between any number of them or even KSP. It's very hard to diagnose with this many possible factors. Thankfully it seems as though it's a rare bug. Still, I think I might build in a little extra bit of exception handling in 0.4 just to be safe. Since one possibility is that the problem shows itself because something throws an unhandled exception.

A little more 0.4 news:

Debris activation: I've taken a look at Zools major contribution to my debris activation method and am looking into adding it in 0.4. He basically found a way of keeping the staging setup in decoupled debris, which is a huge leap forward.

Combined with Alchemist's idea for making crewable but uncrewed vessels remotecontrolled, this could be a great addition to RemoteTech. As it is right now, it will however not work with MechJeb. I'm looking into a way of disabling RemoteTech activation if there is a MechJeb present on the vessel, so I don't end up forcing you to chose between RemoteTech and MechJeb.

autopilot: I've done a little conceptual work on a RemoteTech autopilot. Seeing as it will be neccesary for extraplanetary missions (and could be an awesome addition), I've decided to definitely add it.

Basic engine control is easy to implement (burn engine at x% for n seconds). I would like to get basic attitude control working (alá Smart A.S.S.) before I release 0.4, which is a huge challenge, as it involves areas of coding that are completely virgin land for me.

The autopilot will definetely not be anything to rival MechJeb, and it shouldn't be. It will be very basic and all burns must be guesstimated by the player. That way it's still challenging enough to make it a major achievement to orbit another planet, and even more so to land on one. I will probably be adding a very basic landing module, where you can set a specific vertical speed for it to maintain, and probably also a specific height at which to start breaking to the set vertical speed.

0.4 beta: I've been thinking about maybe starting to release the most current beta build of 0.4 as an alternative download to 0.34. You guys have been a huge help in the development of 0.3 and it could probably be a great help to have your continual input and bug reports during 0.4 development. But since 0.4 will be a huge release with a lot of new features, it stands to reason that it will have a lot of bugs, therefore I think it should only be released as an alternative to 0.34.

Edited by JDP

wOOt nice idea with setting crewCapacity to 0! :) I've a lot with those "crewable-but-uncrewed" pods recently :mad:

JDP, when should we expect 0.4beta? I wonder should I postpone carts compatibility update (yep, it's almost ready; thanks for your code! :wink:) in order to test with 0.4...

JDP, when should we expect 0.4beta? I wonder should I postpone carts compatibility update (yep, it's almost ready; thanks for your code! :wink:) in order to test with 0.4...

Yeah, I could have slapped myself when I read Alchemist's idea. It's so awesomly simple! :D

Maybe I shouldn't call it a beta, but a development snapshot, since that's more what it would be. The first version will mainly be a cleanup of the 0.34 code, with an optimized method for comsat recognition and an implementation of Alchemist's idea. Kreuzungs idea to do it in partModules will probably have to wait for a later beta release. I plan to do that together with adding Zool's modified activation method, since that (as far as I can see) needs to be done in partModules too in order to avoid the current rootPart bug. The part class names will stay the same, and the only possible change in the interface is a change of the RelayPath class, but I don't imagine you are even using that, since the only variables you'd need are inRadioContact, localControl and controlDelay. Those will not change in 0.4, so no need to postpone your release :).

The only other plugin than RemoteTech I use in testing is Cart, So you can allways count on RemoteTech having been tested with Cart before I release anything. And in 0.4 I will be switchig from my own modified Cart 1.32 dll, to the newest stock version.

The finished version of 0.4 won't be released for a long (loooong) time, since I'm looking at a very long list of features, most of them interconnected, and having a lot less time than I had for 0.3.

Edited by JDP

...the only variables you'd need are inRadioContact, localControl and controlDelay. Those will not change in 0.4, so no need to postpone your release :)...
Ah, I see. Keep in mind that I rely on class names ("RemoteTech" and "RemotePod") in addition to property names.

OK, I'll update Carts plugin it as soon as I complete all the tests (darn, there are lots of them "tests" to go :()

Ah, I see. Keep in mind that I rely on class names ("RemoteTech" and "RemotePod") in addition to property names.

OK, I'll update Carts plugin it as soon as I complete all the tests (darn, there are lots of them "tests" to go :()

Don't worry. Those will never change, they've grown on me too much :D. And if I ever change them, I'll loose backward compatability with custom cfg edits too. It seems a lot of people have changed other parts to be RemoteTech and I wouldn't want to make them go through their entire parts library.

And yes.. testing can truly be a *female dog* sometimes :)

You could make a part module that is applied to all crewable parts once you make the vessel uncrewable, holds the crew count of it and resets it if the active vessel is an EVA and less than 10 meters away or so...
...or even detect whether some of EVA's colliders overlap with current vessel's airlock (which is also a collider having Tag == "Airlock" -- see here). Traversing some gameObject's Transform hierarchy could require some code though... ten lines, or something like that :)

...you may even catch pressing <Use> key when EVA's at the airlock!

Or another idea: just make the vessel crewable again as soon as it becomes non-active. How would you expect to control an adjacent RemoteTech vessel when you're walking EVA? :sticktongue:

UPD. *derp* it's exactly what Alchemist initially proposed :D

Edited by Tosh

This mod just keeps getting better and better :)

Keep up the awesome work!

I hope you're not too stressed though, remember that it's only a game. ;)

No worries. It's a lot of work and a lot of time spent. But it's also a lot of very rewarding fun :D

I've read the entire thread, and still have some trouble sometimes figuring out what combinations are needed for what to make everything work right. Does someone think they could do an image with what parts are needed instead of just text?

soz couldnt read 20pages :) ; do i need to delete The_Duck's Satellite Relay Network mod for using this one?

It should work just fine alongside SRN. Some of The_Duck's comsats are even recognized by RemoteTech, they just aren't recognized as having any antennae unless you put some RT antennae on them.

I've read the entire thread, and still have some trouble sometimes figuring out what combinations are needed for what to make everything work right. Does someone think they could do an image with what parts are needed instead of just text?

I'll look into an image to go along with the "which parts are needed for what" chapter. The problem is just that there is a lot of imformation to condense, so an image that properly represents what you can do, could be more confusing than just doing it in text.

I (unfortunately?) didn't try the original The_Duck's plugin but nice work with this one. I'm wasting a bit too much time on the game since I installed it. I could finally build my multi-rovers launcher.

Jeb having a look at the tanks on a rover that landed near his munbase:

screenshot443.png

Injecting GEOIP-3, a satellite equipped with Inter-Planetary-class dishes, into geosynchronous orbit:

You only need two parts. Easy mode: Start with the Remote Control pod, build a rocket as usual, and add an omnidirectional antenna on the last stage. Voilà.