[0.20] RemoteTech: Relay Network – V 0.5.0.1

JDP

I have encountered a serious bug

What happened: The game spontaneously freezes

How it happend: It seems that it could happen almost anytime. It already happened while entering the menu, on liftoff, while in orbit, after switching between map and spacecraft, and while just letting the game run.

I just made another test: first vanilla, started 3 rockets, no problem. With remotetech installed started 3 rockets, stock parts, no problem. With remotetech parts the game froze about 3 minutes after liftoff

Maybe someone has similar experiences with remotetech or maybe there a combination of parts (stock and remote tech parts only) that causes it...i´m really clueless here :(

I would be very thankful for a list of any and all bugs you may find. But make sure you tell me:

• what happened
  • how it happened
  • and make sure the problem is not solely with MechJeb (I.e.: the bug goes away if you do exactly the same but have removed all RemoteTech parts from the vessel)

Here's what happened, essentially- and removal of RemoteTech parts did fix it. I had RCS thrusters mounted on my craft to assist in aiming/turning. I launch it. About the time that MechJeb starts its gravity turn it suddenly turned off RCS. Thinking this was odd, I let the thing run normally. When Mechjeb attempted to compensate so that it could circularize the orbit, it failed. Having checked things, the combination of RemoteTech and MechJeb seems to utterly disable RCS/SAS both, outside of atmosphere. I have no idea why.

Hope that's enough info.

Actually, there is a little more info needed here based on your explanation.

1) What kind of command pod did you have (manned/unmanned)?

2) What did the Remote Command information say when the RCS "turned off"?

3) What Remote Command parts did you have on specifically (Remote Command, Remote SAS, UHF Antenna, Sat Dish)?

Sounds to me like you were out of radio contact with Mission Control when you started circularizing your orbit, not that RemoteTech did anything "wrong".

I used the remotetech remotecontrol that game with the modpack the first time. It said nothing when disabling SAS/RCS; just turned them off. I had that, plus two "remoteTech Dipole Antennas," Mostly for symmetry.

If I can't control it enough to circularize outside of range, how do I get ANYTHING into orbit? I know it has to be possible because it wouldn't make sense to make a mod without that, but I can't seem to figure any other way of getting these things anywhere useful.

The plan was to get a few of these orbiting Kerbin in the same (Roughly) altitudes, and then have one or two outside of that to direct signal to anything I sent elsewhere...

Edited by Tassyr

I'm having trouble trying to make a very simple unmanned vessel. I want to use the standard command pod but kick the crew out before launch. I've added the grey remote control signal processor, the larger antenna (also tried the RC antenna) and the remote SAS. Once I kick the crew out, it says vessel cannot be piloted without at least 1 crew.

I can make an unmanned rocket if I use one of the remotetech command pods but can't seem to make unmanned vessel with the normal command pods. Also, if I make a unmanned vessel with the remotetech command pod that works fine but if I add an empty crewable pod or the crew tank then I get the cannot be piloted without crew message.

I wanted to build an unmanned rocket with a crewtank to go and pick a group of stranded kerbs up. Oh well, it might have to be a manned mission!

This is just such a cool mod btw!!! Even if I can't do the above.

You need to use the addon's included unmanned remote pod to not have crew. There is no way to remove the crew once added unless you want to send him/them EVA and just stand around on the pad. Then put the crew tank below it.

I used the remotetech remotecontrol that game with the modpack the first time. It said nothing when disabling SAS/RCS; just turned them off. I had that, plus two "remoteTech Dipole Antennas," Mostly for symmetry.

If I can't control it enough to circularize outside of range, how do I get ANYTHING into orbit? I know it has to be possible because it wouldn't make sense to make a mod without that, but I can't seem to figure any other way of getting these things anywhere useful.

The plan was to get a few of these orbiting Kerbin in the same (Roughly) altitudes, and then have one or two outside of that to direct signal to anything I sent elsewhere...

there is 5 way to do that; depends on persistance of mecjeb functions on your satelites or not... (or maybe more donno :P:))

1) You need to send your first relay satelits with manned missions if you go signal disconnect before complete orbiting.. you still complete your orbit with local control... cause you have man on your spacecraft.... decouple your satellite and go tracking station you can swich your satellite and control them (dont forget to put RC antenna -to make it RC, and Remote sas)...

mecjeb is not working on decopuled satellites... even if it stays with them.... so no more autopilot... you need to manually do your orbital operation -if you want to use it-) so when you done, you can swich to your manned mothership and try yo make it home or simply delete it from persistance file... :)

you can build all your network on this way (your satellites will not use mecjeb)

note: if you want to use anyting from first ''Command Module'' selection tab on your satellites; turn them to ''RemoteControl (part)'' with simple cfg edit... (on that way you dont have to add that little rc antenna or that remote control part also)

2)Or (hard way) if you want to use mecjeb on your satellites for later orbital operations; attempt to send your second satellite with mecjeb and witout a manned capsule... (so your satellit is become actualy mothership) just before your first satellite come in range of kerbal mission control and also your current on orbital progres satellit... so that one can transmit signal to you if you go out of sight from kerbal mission control and complete orbit :)

But on this way you have still 1 non mecjeb satellite and your satellites have to be close to each other... so you need to use more satellites to complete network...

3)Other way; send them with powerful rocket and edit your ascend path on mecjeb ascend autopilot so you can complete your orbit before go out of sight....(wich im using atm)

4)Make first satellit Geosynch with kerbal mission control, so it will not go out of sight any time and your other orbital progres satellites can link with it at least to complete their orbit

5) Make 3 satellites with Geosynch orbit around kerbal planet and shape of triangle... one corner sits on kerbal mission control to compelete easy way network...

Edited by ashrutoraman

You need to use the addon's included unmanned remote pod to not have crew. There is no way to remove the crew once added unless you want to send him/them EVA and just stand around on the pad. Then put the crew tank below it.

Cheers for replying. I understood your first sentence, that's clear. But the other bit confused me. Sending the crew EVA to just stand on the launch pad was what I tried, but without crew it won't launch (if it has any capacity for crew). If I make a unmanned rocket with remotetech command pod and then put a crew tank below it that does not work either.

Nco6xl.jpg

b9H1jl.jpg

Basically seems that its impossible to remote control anything which has any capacity for crew which is a pity, but this is still a great mod.

Well, it took nigh forever but here's what I did. I got a sat into roughly geosynch, manned. I launched my others based around information/communication with that one. Once I had two in orbit it got -really- easy. Then I brought the 'almost' geosynch one down to Kerbin, so as not to clutter the skies. :D now each sat can use MechJeb to correct if I need it.

Random question. I'm now making a Rover transport. (Basically two rovers held in an unmanned module that's set to land on the Mun, drop the rovers, and act as a relay.) Do I need a -command- module for any of this, or will the Remotetech Remotecontrol unit work for the lander -and- rovers? It's a little unclear...

Crewtank? I thought part of the point of all this was that I didn't need to send Kerbals into explosions. o.O I'm bouncing this signal from KSP command, to my geosync set of sattelites, then to the Mun.

Hey, I noticed in the first post it said that your ship can act as a second KSP if you have 5 kerbals to operate it. I was wondering if someone could explain this a little more, do I have to have 3 in a command pod and 2 in a crewtank or am I just completely misunderstanding the post?

you need 5 man command pod to get fuction of remote command.... you can edit this number...

Where? I've been poking around in the files but I can't seem to find anything that would let me change it to a standard 3 man pod. Cos there isn't exactly a wealth of 5 man pods out there.

Where? I've been poking around in the files but I can't seem to find anything that would let me change it to a standard 3 man pod. Cos there isn't exactly a wealth of 5 man pods out there.

When RemoteTech has run once in the game, it creates the config file. You can then find it in your KSP folder:

PluginData/remotetech/Settings.cfg

You can open the config file with something like notepad. Change;

//Here you can edit the required crew for a command station (Minimum: 1, Default: 5)
RemoteCommand Crew = 5

to

//Here you can edit the required crew for a command station (Minimum: 1, Default: 5)
RemoteCommand Crew = 3

I'm confused. If i have 10 satellites pointed at one antennae will that antennae have 10 times its original power? And how do i point satellites at the antennae?

nope its only expanding dish range + antenna range... you cant point dish to antenna you can point to planet/moon if its have sat in orbit with antenna it will get signal

Edited by ashrutoraman