[0.20] RemoteTech: Relay Network – V 0.5.0.1

JDP

So, uh, randomly KSP no longer shows my remote-tech parts in the 'command module' screen. And if I load up a ship that has remotetech parts installed, they're all question marks. They LOAD fine, but it can't figure out what to do with them. I've reinstalled the entire mod, to no avail. help? ;.;

so I've reinstalled the mod, and KSP. the only thing saved were my parts folder items. And it still won't go. Help?

[edit] it's not just this apparently. I've made a complete reinstall of KSP and NONE of my plugin-parts work either. They _ALL_ read 'this part is not available in this version of KSP."

Edited by Tassyr

So, uh, randomly KSP no longer shows my remote-tech parts in the 'command module' screen. And if I load up a ship that has remotetech parts installed, they're all question marks. They LOAD fine, but it can't figure out what to do with them. I've reinstalled the entire mod, to no avail. help? ;.;

so I've reinstalled the mod, and KSP. the only thing saved were my parts folder items. And it still won't go. Help?

[edit] it's not just this apparently. I've made a complete reinstall of KSP and NONE of my plugin-parts work either. They _ALL_ read 'this part is not available in this version of KSP."

Are you using the demo? If so, that's most likely the problem

Hello, i've tried this mod and my idea was to build an unmanned satellite with remote command function. The sat includes an empty pod which is meant to be manned in orbit via EVA when remote command would be useful.

The problem with this particular use case, is that "remote command" don't allow me to launch the sat unless it's manned. The sat use MMI unmanned pod and for that reason I should be able to control my vessel, naturally without the "remote command" function until is manned.

Do you think is a possible change in a future release? Or are there any workaround?

I played around with v0,34 in 0.17, everything seems to be working at first glance, but then it turned out that having more than one of any kind of pointed antenna dish on your ship causes a gamebreaking FPS drop (about 1-0.5 FPS that never goes away).

My wild guess is that it either has collision box\joint that became incompatible with how 0.17 handles part joints, or that .dll routine that deals with pointed dishes somehow became a bottleneck for a whole game - omnidirectional antennas are working just fine.

I played around with v0,34 in 0.17, everything seems to be working at first glance, but then it turned out that having more than one of any kind of pointed antenna dish on your ship causes a gamebreaking FPS drop (about 1-0.5 FPS that never goes away).

Ah I was getting the same problem. I narrowed the FPS drops down to the dishes also, but I can get away with 4-6 depending on size of ship.

My specs are:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 not OC'ed (although I temporarily bumped it up to 4.06 to see if it would help FPS drops. Not much effect.)

8 GB RAM

EVGA Nvidia 570 GTX factory OC'ed

Other bugs I've noticed in .17 is that Show path on map doesn't actually show any lines although it does give the relay path on top of the window. Celestial objects don't block radio signals properly unless I switch vessels and switch back, and only sometimes works after that.

Throttle controls are moving much slower as well, about 50%, even when sitting on the launch pad. Also killing the throttle (ctrl + x) isn't cutting it properly. Only cuts throttle to about 50%. Removing the remote module or switching to local control removes the throttle issue.

This last one, I don't know if it's mechjeb or this causing it, but when using the remote SAS stacked on top of the mechjeb 1m edition the auto ascend will not steer the ship, but staging and throttle work as normal. Putting the mechjeb module anywhere else on the ship, even right below the remote SAS seems to work though.

Also, I want to say thank you so much for this awesome mod! It's one of my favorites!

Edited by kk0425
Adding more bugs.

This mod works fine for me in 0.17. However one major issue I've seen so far: I can use a vessel equipped with the seniors array anywhere, i.e. the line of sight isn't working any longer, and I can pilot vessels on the other side of Kerbin and even many miles away.

I tried to recompile the code from source in 0.17 for myself, and it's impossible because the 'InverseScaleFactor' definition from the 'Planetarium' class does not exist anymore in 0.17. (why the dev removed it ? I don't know...)

As I just wanted to add the UI hiden by default (like mechjeb), I recompiled the DLL with the old version 0.16 with my little modification and it work. But I think this mod will be broken somewhere for 0.17...

If someone have enough skill, here is the line that cause problem :

line.SetPosition(i, network.ControlPath.nodes[i].Position * Planetarium.InverseScaleFactor);

Replacing 'Planetarium.InverseScaleFactor' with something working in 0.17 will maybe fix the problem.

I tried to recompile the code from source in 0.17 for myself, and it's impossible because the 'InverseScaleFactor' definition from the 'Planetarium' class does not exist anymore in 0.17. (why the dev removed it ? I don't know...)

It was removed because of the new "scaling of space" that was implemented in 0.17. With it, there are more than one "InverseScaleFactor"(s) so it needs to be handled differently because of it.

My wild guess is that it either has collision box\joint that became incompatible with how 0.17 handles part joints, or that .dll routine that deals with pointed dishes somehow became a bottleneck for a whole game - omnidirectional antennas are working just fine.

I have had the same issue with multiple antennas (antennae?!). I was almost persuaded that is might just be the dishes, but I think it goes deeper.

I have a pretty complex orbital station which can launch 4 remoteTech probes (each equipped with kethane detectors). In 0.16 it works perfectly but has a low fps of 10-15 during launch but once the first few stages drop off it goes up to 35-40.

In 0.17 it has a fps of 1 just sitting on the launch pad. If I remove all remoteTech antennae and dishes then I get 12 fps again. If I put a single antennae or dish on it the fps goes to about 4-5 and any more and it is floored. So my wild guess is there is an inefficient for_each loop going on somewhere.

This particular craft also also uses damnedRobotics, mechjeb, MMI kethane and ion engines and has 4 erkle64 warpclamps. I stripped all that stuff off but left the remote tech kit on; 1fps. Put all the other gunk back on and leave out remotetech and I get ~12fps.

I've also found that if I quickly slap an antennae on and hit launch it will often crash the game, but once restarted it will load the autosaved craft to the launch pad just fine. (that might just be a game issue with complex craft)

@JDP this is one of the best, game expanding mods out!! I really hope you can solve these 0.17 issues for us! :)

I can confirm it's RemoteTech. I've got GeoStationary Satellites that are very basic, 2 solar panels, 2 small batteries, 3 dishes, 2 UHF antenna, and the landing engine on the large 1m tank. On 0.16 they were running 20+ FPS from launch. On 0.17, they're getting 3-4 FPS max. Tried eliminating all but 1 dish, same issue. Tried taking off all antenna and just having 1 UHF, still too slow.

My guess is that if we pulled the debug, there's something the plugin is looking for/using that is no longer valid or is redundant now that accounts for the Line-of-Sight not working and for the FPS drop.

I can confirm it's RemoteTech. I've got GeoStationary Satellites that are very basic, 2 solar panels, 2 small batteries, 3 dishes, 2 UHF antenna, and the landing engine on the large 1m tank. On 0.16 they were running 20+ FPS from launch. On 0.17, they're getting 3-4 FPS max. Tried eliminating all but 1 dish, same issue. Tried taking off all antenna and just having 1 UHF, still too slow.

My guess is that if we pulled the debug, there's something the plugin is looking for/using that is no longer valid or is redundant now that accounts for the Line-of-Sight not working and for the FPS drop.

Indeed you are right! After slapping myself for not looking in the logs before (I'm a coder, I should know better!) I found this;

MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Planetarium.get_InverseScaleFactor'.
at RemoteTech.RemoteTech.onPartFixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown >:0
at Part.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown > :0

"in <filename unknown >:0" - that's extremely helpful!

The log file which is very detailed and darn near 50mb is mostly just that error repeated again and again.

So its the same thing which KospY is talking about, which I guess is better than it being two separate problems!

Have the core devs provided a replacement for that deprecated method/class?

Just out of curiosity; I presume if you have one antenna on a craft then it will be periodically calling a method(s). If you put two antenna are those methods called twice?

It was removed because of the new "scaling of space" that was implemented in 0.17. With it, there are more than one "InverseScaleFactor"(s) so it needs to be handled differently because of it.

Thanks a lot for all your work on singling out the incompatability :).

I was afraid that the krakensbane would throw a wrench in RT. I haven't looked into the ksp assembly yet, but i know they've implemented a whole new way of handling coordinates.

I'll look into a fix, but since i have a small exam this week, I won't have too much time. As soon as I get the time to troubleshoot, I'll get working on fixing RemoteTech to be compatible with 0.17.

In the mean time, if any of you coders out there stumble on the solution before I do, feel free to pm me, and I'll include your fix.

I don't have nearly enough knowledge of C to help (nor the workings of KSP), but I just want to offer some words of encouragement. RT is easily one of my favorite mods. Once I learned how to used it, I was so freaking goddamn happy with the results I probably squealed like a schoolgirl (if I did, this memory has been repressed). I hope that you'll be able to get this sorted JDP, or maybe someone else will offer a fix. (I'm just glad to hear that it's only one thing that broke causing these oddities, not the whole thing.)

Best of luck fixing this up. (I'm sure we're all looking forward to the day when Squad has their code settled enough that they can offer a well supported mod API.)

Edit: When it comes to the inconvenience of a debris piece having it's decoupler stay with it, would it be possible to create a custom decoupler that decouples and then deletes itself when activated? (I'm assuming here that decoupling anything in the other direction is impossible, or it would've already been done.) Sure it's a bit haxxy, but it could be a workaround until such time as there's a better solution created by Squad.

Edit 2: Scratch that, that'd require the ability to edit the persistence file and then reload it while the game is running...and that's more than a little crazy.

Edited by phoenix_ca

I'm sure this has been answered elsewhere, but I can't get any decoupled parts to do anything, just on the launch pad. I have various antennae, an RC unit, an RC SAS, and it still doesn't work.

When I first start the launch, the remotetech window pops up, but for decoupled stuff, there's no settings window, no staging, and no control.

What do I need on a decoupled bit for it to be controlled, within range of mission control?

Thanks a lot for all your work on singling out the incompatability :).

I was afraid that the krakensbane would throw a wrench in RT. I haven't looked into the ksp assembly yet, but i know they've implemented a whole new way of handling coordinates.

I'll look into a fix, but since i have a small exam this week, I won't have too much time. As soon as I get the time to troubleshoot, I'll get working on fixing RemoteTech to be compatible with 0.17.

In the mean time, if any of you coders out there stumble on the solution before I do, feel free to pm me, and I'll include your fix.

Dude! Good luck with your exam!!! Goram Real Life eh?

Quite a few good mods seem a bit mucked up in 0.17 (I've had issues with damned robotics and crewable pods) so don't sweat it. I think that a lot are going to have issues caused by that deprecated method so I guess others will be working out a solution to that.

Yeah i'm pretty much waiting solely on this mod to start playing.

Not trying to rush you or anything, It's just hard to play without it =P

Ditto, I am somewhat a moderate C# coder and am going to take a look at this tomorrow to see if I can fix it. Considering I don't know the KSP API at all, don't count on it.