[0.20] RemoteTech: Relay Network – V 0.5.0.1

JDP

i would like to report a bug.

this is what happened:

i was placing a relay satellite so i made a manned rocket with a satellite in the middle.

the plan was to drop the satellite on a geostationary position then decouple from it and return home safely.

when i decoupled from the satellite i could not start my engines.

in further research i found that if i place the activation of the engine one more stage up it seemed to work.

further i used a mechjeb attached to my satellite.

i hope this could be fixed this is a great mod/plugin, btw sorry if i am writhing bad English i'm dutch:)

Don't count on it hapenning anytime soon. It would be a whole new line of programming for me to get acquainted with and I don't simply want MechJeb to be able to activate local control. I'd want there to be signal delay for each MechJeb button press.

So basically I'll probably write a basic autopilot for RemoteTech before I make it fully MechJeb compatible. I think that would probably be easier.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Mechjeb should be able to Local Control because it is on the ship, not in Kerbin. The only delay should be from when you first activate a mode to when it starts executing. If you can't do this right now, then I would request you simply put in either an exclusion to the delay if MechJeb is present or allow MechJeb-equipped craft to use Local Control until you can implement proper delay.

...The only delay should be from when you first activate a mode to when it starts executing. If you can't do this right now, then I would request you simply put in either an exclusion to the delay if MechJeb is present or allow MechJeb-equipped craft to use Local Control until you can implement proper delay.

That's actually what I meant.

Regarding your suggestion, I might implement it like that. But I'd also need to implement some sort of throttle fix for MechJeb probably. I'll look into it as soon as I get the time.

That's actually what I meant.

Regarding your suggestion, I might implement it like that. But I'd also need to implement some sort of throttle fix for MechJeb probably. I'll look into it as soon as I get the time.

what actualy happening when do not apply throttle fix on last release? if its making mecjeb use throttle again and making control throttle more long time i would prefer to using witout that fix... can you link alternate version without that fix for temporary provide mecjeb compatible until full fix come?

what actualy happening when do not apply throttle fix on last release? if its making mecjeb use throttle again and making control throttle more long time i would prefer to using witout that fix... can you link alternate version without that fix for temporary provide mecjeb compatible until full fix come?

The last experimental release does not fix any compatability with MechJeb. It was mostly meant to address the joystick bug in the current stable release (0.3.5.1). Which it failed to do misserably :).

Is there a throttle fix yet? Kind of annoying with the inverted throttle.

No throttle fix for joysticks yet. I found that I really needed a joystick to properly test and develop joystick compatability.

So I've dug a bit into my savings and found enough money to buy one. It should be arriving sometime this week, and I plan to take a half-day off this weekend to work on a proper joystick fix. Maybe, if I have the time, I'll also implement a low-brow MechJeb fix (where local control is enabled by MechJeb modules).

Ok, first of all, GREAT MOD! I only just started modding my game and this brings a great extra challenge.

Second, I cant seem to find the line in the config file that controls the number of kerbonauts needed for a remote command to *ahem* command. Anyone know?

Thanks in advance.

Currently remote controlled vessels have to be one-stage. It shouldn't mess with the staging of your main vessel though.

Regarding your control issues. Have you remembered to add antennae to your vessels? or you might simply be out of range. I've had no luck trying to recreate your bug so I think it might be caused by your vessels not having a signal connection.

I think we mis-communicated.

I have a rocket which has, let's say, four stages, arranged like this:

|Orbital rockets|Satellite|Command module|Manned Capsule|

The satellite has a remote control and antenna. The command module has a remote command and antenna.

My intention is to eject the satellite, which will stay in geosynchronous orbit and act as a comm satellite. Then, the command module has some rockets which de-orbit the manned capsule. I eject that stage and then splashdown the capsule. Everything works properly for the first section. I eject the satellite, it uses the manned capsule for remote orientation, etc. The bug I'm having is that once I eject the command module on my way down, the capsule bugs out. It refuses to accept input, telling me that it's out of radio contact and I can't engage local control.

I think we mis-communicated.

I have a rocket which has, let's say, four stages, arranged like this:

|Orbital rockets|Satellite|Command module|Manned Capsule|

The satellite has a remote control and antenna. The command module has a remote command and antenna...

My intention is to eject the satellite, which will stay in geosynchronous orbit and act as a comm satellite. Then, the command module has some rockets which de-orbit the manned capsule. I eject that stage and then splashdown the capsule. Everything works properly for the first section. I eject the satellite, it uses the manned capsule for remote orientation, etc. The bug I'm having is that once I eject the command module on my way down, the capsule bugs out. It refuses to accept input, telling me that it's out of radio contact and I can't engage local control.

hmm, that's odd. If your capsule doesn't have either a RemotePod, RemoteControl, RemoteCommand or RCAntenna module (signal processors) attached to it, the RemoteTech window shouldn't even be visible.

I tried recreating the bug by launching a vessel with staging exactly like yours and the only way I could recreate a result resembling what you described was to put one of the four modules mentioned above on the capsule itself (and in case of the RCAntenna, making sure that I decouple the pod somewhere where it wouldn't have a signal connection to another command station).

In that case I could always regain control of the pod simply by turning on local control.

Are you sure that you decouple all signal processors from your pod?

This does sound very strange. Whenever you remove all signal processors from your vessel, you are in effect also removing RemoteTech code from the vessel. Allmost no RemoteTech code should be running at all, certainly not the bits that draw the window.

...I cant seem to find the line in the config file that controls the number of kerbonauts needed for a remote command to *ahem* command. Anyone know?

Thanks in advance.

I've just ammended the OP with an explanation as to where to actually find the config file :). In addition to the part config files, RemoteTech uses a global config file for global settings. What you're looking for is at the bottom of the file.

The window might not have been drawn, come to think of it. Basically, I remember a string of capsules hurtling into the ocean without a deployed parachute after ejecting a satellite and the command section.

But is there any situation where, even leaving the modules on the capsule, that the lack of radio contact would supercede control of the ship?

EDIT: Solved. My bad. I missed a couple bits of information in the original post.

So, I decided to set up an unmanned relay network without using manned ships, whether temporarily or not. It actually went well at first; I set up a geostationary network that covers the system (except behind the Mun and Minmus, of course), so I decided to send up a Munar satellite. I found that, despite having a clear view of Geosats 1 & 3 (directly above Mission Control), it did not find a path until much later.

0ZnYO.png

7DosY.png

Other than that (which is only really a minor annoyance - I could use manned ships temporarily), I think it's a great plugin. I plan on having most of my manned missions use ZOxygen (to be more realistic), so unmanned missions can sometimes be preferable.

EDIT: I actually realized that the orbit of the vessel was clockwise, rather than the normal counterclockwise. I now have a vessel with a counterclockwise orbit, and it seems to be better (Though even when approaching the mun, it decided to route through the previous munar satellite instead of going directly from one of the geostationary satellites - which I would think would take a longer time).

Edited by Roandask

Do your Kerbin-orbiting satellites have a dish pointing at the Mun? If they're not, then that can be where the issue is. I always put 3 dishes on my Kerbin relay sats so that one can point at Mission Control/Kerbin, one at the Mun, and one at Minmus. That has always seemed to make sure I get maximum relay capability from whatever I have in orbit or landed on the moons. I also have 2 "Deep Space Network" landers spaced 120 degrees from KSC to give coverage of the other planets and moons and will simply point the dishes at whatever planet I need coverage of at the time. If I need to start covering multiple planets at once, I'll just deploy additional landers to the sites. :)

Oh, shoot, I missed those 2 lines in the information. Yeah, that's my problem, thanks. (Also explains why it sometimes worked - the omnidirectional antenna boost sometimes put it in range). I'm probably going to need to need to relaunch my relay network.

I browsed the thread in search of this suggestion and couldn't find it...so I figured I would offer it up. Is a smaller remote controller in development? It would be handy to have a smaller, radially attachable module for tiny satellites. Just my opinion, if this is a repost, fell free to delete this one.

RemoteTech V 0.3.5.2 released

Another week and another update. I've fixed the big joystick bug, but also had time to do a little more development. RemoteTech is now partially MechJeb compatible, so those of you who want to RP a proper flight computer now have the option of doing so.

I've also done some more work in controlling crewable but empty vessels. With permission from the guys at squad, I've now made it possible to mix and match as many pods and cockpits as you want on a single vessel and even have a crewable vessel be completely without crew from the get go. So unmanned rescue missions are finally a reality :D.

Changelog:

• Fixed compatability with joystick throttle.
    Bought a joystick to test it this time.:)
  • Added compatability with MechJeb.
    Here by popular demand, now MechJeb will be able to activate local control.
  • Added in-game stats drawn from the part config file.
    in the same way you'd normally check stats like specific impulse, crew capacity and so forth, you can now check each parts RemoteTech Stats.
  • Added support for crewable CommandPods that don't spawn crew when the flight starts.
    With permission from the guys at Squad, I've included two sets of modded stock pods; one thats available together with the stock pods but doesn't spawn crew, and one thats available with the normal parts.
    All modded pods carry some RemoteTech gear with them. All the 1 man pods are RemoteControl and the 3 man ones are RemoteCommand.

I am somewhat excited about what interesting missions can be conducted with this addition :)

Cheers

-JDP

Wow... you're the man! I can't wait to download this and get it insta

Edit: Seeing those crewless pods puts a big smile on my face. I still need to try the RC Duna Challenge, almost ready for it. :)

Edited by Spaceghöst

I browsed the thread in search of this suggestion and couldn't find it...so I figured I would offer it up. Is a smaller remote controller in development? It would be handy to have a smaller, radially attachable module for tiny satellites. Just my opinion, if this is a repost, fell free to delete this one.

There already has been, since the very first release by the way :).

the RC Antenna is specifically designed for that purpose (RC stands for RemoteControl). It's even got a tiny little antenna so it doesn't need other antennae, as long as your're somewhat close to a command station (250 km).

It's very good for rovers with a landing station close by, that can relay long range signals to it.

It's also proben itself to be very good on small satellites. But you'd need to also add an antenna to boost the antenna range a bit. The dipole antenna is the smallest, but still has a decent range.