[0.20] RemoteTech: Relay Network – V 0.5.0.1

JDP

RemoteTech V 0.5.0.0 released

Important note: This version is not compatible with RemoteTech 0.4.0.4 and your old worlds will probably break if you try to load them under 0.5.0.0.

Now that the forums are back up I think it's high-time to release the next version of RemoteTech. A lot of work has gone into both coding and part making, hence the jump to 0.5.0.0. RemoteTech now functions on a whole new level compared to before. Let's get to the changelog shall we?

Changelog:

• Rewrote entire plugin to use only PartModules. Thanks to input from Alchemist I found a way of persistently handling data in PartModules, whether they be loaded or not. This hass allowed me to completely do away with the old RemoteTech part classes and in stead work only in PartModules. Making RemoteTech a lot more versatile.
  • Expanded the RemoteTech animation modules to allow for multiple simultaneous animations, inter-module events and looped animations. The modules have evolved to a small animation suite. Again they are made with RemoteTech functionality in mind, so each animation can be tied to certain RemoteTech variables in the config.
  • Rewrote the modding interface to use only KSPfields and KSPevents. This is mostly for other modders. With this new interface, it should be a lot easier to interface with RemoteTech. The way I've implemented the interface you don't need the RemoteTech assembly at all, and can still easily get RemoteTech data and influence the relay network.
  • Added a new RemoteCore handler to run parallel with vessel handling. RemoteCores used to be contained within each SPU, with only one per vessel activated. Now the RemoteCore handler cointains a RemoteCore for each RemoteTech vessel and the SPU's don't contain anything at all. This amounts to RemoteTech running smoother, a lot more eficcient, and does away with docking bugs.
  • Added an in-flight settings menu. If you press <modifier key> + f11, you now get a settings menu where you can edit everything you normally would edit in the RemoteTech config file. I've also included the option of resetting window positions in the settings menu.
  • Added rover mode in the flight computer. If your ship has wheels, it will now be possible to switch the flight computer into rover mode. This mode gives you rover oriented controls, such as turning specified degrees and driving at a certain distance at a certain speed.
  • Added remote access to other RT vessel's flight computers. If another RemoteTech vessel is within loading range and you have a signal connection with the vessel, you can now access the vessels flight computer directly from the "list comsats" menu". With a bit of advice from Romfarer, I've implemented a tweaked loading range to allow control of all vessels in a 2 km radius. This can be switched off in the settings if it causes you lag.
  • Added MechJeb 2.x compatability. Speaks for itself. From 0.5.0.0 onward, RemoteTech is compatible with MechJeb 2.x. I've scrapped MechJeb 1.x compatability though.
  • Tweaked loss-of-signal behaviour. Now your vessel will be truly lost if you loose signal. You won't be able to edit any of the antennae to switch on/off or point your dishes. So your only hope is to regain the connection naturally or mount a manned resque mission. Every antenna now has a manual override that can only be activated by a kerbal on EVA.
  • Added the MicroSat. This small satellite carries an omnidirectional antenna, small engine, onboard decoupler, and solar panels. it's very good for establishing quick preliminary relay networks.
  • Added the AeroProbe. This UAV comes complete with twin RTGs, powerfull landing light, deorbit-engine, onboard decoupler, lightweight folding wings and twin electrical ducted fans, that will provide thrust in any atmosphere.
    The AeroProbe can be a bit difficult to assemble, so I've included an example vessel; The Interplanetary Probe Vehicle. That can reach distant worlds and comes with remote command functionality, two AeroProbes and four MicroSats.
  • Added easter egg: Russell's teapot. I've managed to add the ultimate easter egg. I've made sure that it should be impossible to find, even with ISA MapSat.

As you can probably see. A lot has changed, hence your old 0.4.0.4 wolds will not be compatible with 0.5.0.0 and will probably break if you try to load them under 0.5.0.0.

This new version of RemoteTech should run a lot smoother, more efficient. And I've managed to sneak in a bunch of awesome new features and parts. Have fun :)

Cheers

-JDP

Liking the effort put into both the MicroSat and AeroProbe, although I won't be using them personally. (non-stock vibe, pre-assembled).

I've also found the teapot. Nicely hidden. Of course you can't prove I've actually found it, so you'll just have to assume that.

This is very awesome, just spent the last 2 hours flying one of the probes around duna. The microsats are also amazingly easy to use/launch. Seems much quicker though not sure I have enough of an infrastructure up to really lag it yet. So far an amazingly cool upgrade to an already cool mod.

Ahhh just last week ive started with older version and I think I will keep is since I dont really want to start over. It's not really that bad I just have to attach botch mechjebs on ship. But good thing is, I attach 1.9.8 so i can control the ship via remotetech but i can use also new mechjeb.

so using old mechjeb as a trigger for remotetech to recognize it.

now it will be not only forum wipe but ksp world as well... well you did a good job at the cost to consider, anyway thanks :)

Thankfully the Kerbal universe it not yet infinite. So at some point you could be "done" with your world. You can stay on 0.4.0.4 until then if you can live without the new features. Otherwise feel free to keep your old save file backed up. Some people can work wonders with savefile editing and one of them might just find a way to convert old worlds to work with 0.5.0.0.

Could you upload the original stack probe / antenna part.cfg ?...I don't have backup:(

Sure thing:

RemoteTech 0.4.0.4

Probe compatability 0.4.0.4

Thankfully the Kerbal universe it not yet infinite. So at some point you could be "done" with your world. You can stay on 0.4.0.4 until then if you can live without the new features. Otherwise feel free to keep your old save file backed up. Some people can work wonders with savefile editing and one of them might just find a way to convert old worlds to work with 0.5.0.0.

Sure thing:

RemoteTech 0.4.0.4

Probe compatability 0.4.0.4

I've install the Probe compatability before, but it not work at RT 0.5

how can I fix it?

I've install the Probe compatability before, but it [doesn't] work [in] RT 0.5

how can I fix it?

Download the updated compatability pack from Spaceport. The link is in the OP :).

All your existing saved worlds and ships won't work with 0.5.0.0, you'll have to start completely from scratch, or do some heavy savefile editing.

Hmm. I've noticed a couple of things with the new version.

First, I realize its not recommended, but I was able to migrate my old RemoteTech save to the new version. I lost contact with my comsats (and any other probe) since their dishes folded up, but once I re-established contact with them via their short range omni-directional antennas I was able to bring everything back online. I did have to manually load/control each comsat, but once I did that, they appeared to function normally. That said, I don't use MechJeb for what can only be described as religious reasons, so that probably helps, since you say there's a compatibility problem with the old version.

Also, I noticed this with the old version too, but RemoteTech doesn't seem to work with the native docking mode. Normally, in docking mode switching between rotation and translation mode with the space button will automatically enable KillRot (AKA, SAS), but with your mod switching between the two modes doesn't affect SAS. SAS either remains on, or remains off, so you have to manually toggle it. I know most people probably don't use docking mode, but it would be helpful, since it can be a nice docking aid.

Finally, I've noticed some very unusual behavior from the aeroprobe, though its likely a result of the F.A.R. mod. I've found that it can actually float at basically zero speed with the engines off as long as you point the nose up a bit, and the electric fans are ultra effective, getting it up to 1,000 to 1,200 meters per second, maybe even faster, at around 25,000 meters up, plus, they don't seem to require any electricity to run, which is a bit odd for an electric ducted fan. Again, this is almost certainly just a result of the F.A.R. mod, but if so, would it be possible to get a compatibility patch for it? I love the concept of a little aeroprobe like that, and your implementation is near perfect.

Anyway, thanks for the mod. It really adds a lot to the game. I look forward to seeing what you do with it in the future.

Edited by Firov

Hmm. I've noticed a couple of things with the new version.

First, I realize its not recommended, but I was able to migrate my old RemoteTech save to the new version. I lost contact with my comsats (and any other probe) since their dishes folded up, but once I re-established contact with them via their short range omni-directional antennas I was able to bring everything back online. I did have to manually load/control each comsat, but once I did that, they appeared to function normally. That said, I don't use MechJeb for what can only be described as religious reasons, so that probably helps, since you say there's a compatibility problem with the old version.

Well I can't guarantee that your world will still function. I've made so many changes that it really shouldn't. I may just have been very very lucky that the part loader is versatile enough to automatically rebuild your vessels to use the correct Part classes and PartModules.

Also, I noticed this with the old version too, but RemoteTech doesn't seem to work with the native docking mode. Normally, in docking mode switching between rotation and translation mode with the space button will automatically enable KillRot (AKA, SAS), but with your mod switching between the two modes doesn't affect SAS. SAS either remains on, or remains off, so you have to manually toggle it. I know most people probably don't use docking mode, but it would be helpful, since it can be a nice docking aid.

The docking mode implementation currently in place is a featureset that's only there due to player reuests, since I personally don't really use docking mode at all I must have overlooked the stock behaviour of toggling SAS. I'll look into adding this behaviour in the future. I might not add it though, since not having space automatically toggle SAS would give you a bit of extra control of vessel behaviour. You can still toggle SAS with 'T' if you need to.

Finally, I've noticed some very unusual behavior from the aeroprobe, though its likely a result of the F.A.R. mod. I've found that it can actually float at basically zero speed with the engines off as long as you point the nose up a bit, and the electric fans are ultra effective, getting it up to 1,000 to 1,200 meters per second, maybe even faster, at around 25,000 meters up, plus, they don't seem to require any electricity to run, which is a bit odd for an electric ducted fan. Again, this is almost certainly just a result of the F.A.R. mod, but if so, would it be possible to get a compatibility patch for it? I love the concept of a little aeroprobe like that, and your implementation is near perfect.

FAR might give you somewhat of a bad time, since the wings used by the aeroProbe aren't built with FAR compatability in mind. The AeroProbe was made as an end-game high-tech probe. So it having superb glide capabilities while being able to travel at blackbird comparable speeds at altitude doesn't concern me that much. Actually it needs to be borderline overpowered in order to be able to fly anywhere from Duna to Eve.

Actually it's possible to gain enough speed on Duna to completely escape Dunas SOI. All you need to do is fly at 45 degrees pitch with full throttle. Some future tweaks of the engine atmoshphere curves may happen :).

Oh and the engines do require electricity. If you test the wings out on their own, you'll see them flame out once they deplete their on-board batteries. The body of the AeroProbe has two RTG built right into it that supply enough electricity to keep all systems on for extended periods. You should be able to drain the batteries, but only if you turn on absolutely everything and run the engines at full throttle.

Hello JSP. I was thinking, it should be possible to make a land based relay network as well. Shouldn't it? That way I can build a series of rovers and drive them to different parts around Kerbin.

My orbitting skills are not that good yet and it is a pain to get them in high orbits. I will get them there eventually, but for now to get some coverage going I figured I could make some comtowers around the planet :P

W

Hello JSP. I was thinking, it should be possible to make a land based relay network as well. Shouldn't it? That way I can build a series of rovers and drive them to different parts around Kerbin.

Sure you can. A guy did a similar thing a couple of months back. It's going to be a lot of time consuming hard work though. Since you're on the surface, it takes a long time to drive anywhere and you quickly loose line-of-sight. So what you end up needing is a relay tower every 100 km or so. That comes up to a lot of towers if you want the network to cover the entirety of kerbin.

So I wouldn't recommend creating a ground-based relay network.

What you could do was to make mobile command centers: a three-kerbal pod, RemoteCommand and antennae. And then set up 3 or 4 of those around kerbin. They wouldn't provide that much in ground coverage, but they should be enough to provide a constant command signal to ships in orbit.

Mostly, when I establish my first relay network, I do it all in one mission: launching a big carrier ship that functions as a command station and has a lot of small satellites on board. You can use the IPV included in the plugin for such missions. remove the two AeroProbes and add a couple of extra MicroSats.

When I launch such missions I follow these steps:

1. Launch carrier and keep burning until I get an apoapsis of the target altitude for my satellites (typically around 1000 - 1500 km). Deploy any solar panels and antennae on the carrier.
  2. Wait 'till I reach apoapsis and burn prograde until I raise periapsis to something like 100 km.
  3. While at apoapsis I decouple one MicroSat, switch focus to it, deploy its solar panels and antenna, activate its engine and burn prograde until its periapsis is equal to its apoapsis (circularizing its orbit)
  4. Switch focus back to the carrier and timewarp until its made a complete revolution and is back at apoapsis. I then repeat step 3.
  5. When there are no more MicroSats left I deorbit the carrier.

This will give you a bunch of satellites at the same altitude, orbiting at the same speed, but at different positions around Kerbin, making up a functioning relay network. Of course it's important that each satellite has line of sight with the next one so that you don't leave any blind spots.

Edited by JDP

Hmmm, sounds interesting. I will see how far I get, I only started playing the game for a week now and am still experimenting with good ways to reach nice orbits. I like to start out with unmanned which is why I need to build a relay network first (an added difficulty for a newby).

I actually had 6 satelites in orbit at one time all of them at different orbits and speeds and functioned reasonably well. Especially my second generation satelites, the Letstalk2 Sat, I got into nicer more circular orbits. But after I had done this Remotetech 5.0.0 got released and am now restarting from scratch LOL.

Four sats in orbit: 4%20Satellites%20and%20debris.png

First satellite design in orbit, Kerbin1 Probe: http://walter.kimbruning.eu/~walter/Kerbalspace/Kerbin1probe%20against%20Kerbin%20back.png

Letstals2 Sat design my first design with a lot of parts: Letstalk2-SAT.png

ok..so im having a little issue and i have a question....i have a probe with a sat dish with 900GM range on it, and an antennea with a 8MM range...i have my sat dish pointed to one of the sats i have in keostationary orbit...however..every time i get past the 16MM mark in altitude i lose connection...are the 900GM sat dishes notworking? do they ONLY work if you have them pointed at another planet(same question for all dishes)? what, if anything, am i doing wrong here? i open(activate?) the dish so im pretty sure it should be connecting up

ok..so im having a little issue and i have a question....i have a probe with a sat dish with 900GM range on it, and an antennea with a 8MM range...i have my sat dish pointed to one of the sats i have in keostationary orbit...however..every time i get past the 16MM mark in altitude i lose connection...are the 900GM sat dishes notworking? do they ONLY work if you have them pointed at another planet(same question for all dishes)? what, if anything, am i doing wrong here? i open(activate?) the dish so im pretty sure it should be connecting up

It would seem that a dish-dish connection has not been made. Are you sure that you've set up both dishes? both the reciever and sender.

It would seem that a dish-dish connection has not been made. Are you sure that you've set up both dishes? both the reciever and sender.

ive tried it both ways....no go

edit: i think i KINDA figured it out..the antennea was on the same pod as the sat...i changed it so it ditched the antennea suring flight and it kept signal up to 38mm +4 for orbit to other sat...with a 50mm sat...but even with this...seems a little off when you do the math as thats only 42mm....

Edited by apoch1999

i put the command one on when i made the ship cause i didnt know they didnt shorten command times on long flights...i see now on the list that it still has to be a manned pod to issue commands...will change it with next iteration...think that has anything to do with the range?

I encounter some problem,

I have a group of satellite at 600Km orbit to prevent kerbin block signal

all satellite have one 50Mm dish pointing to kerbin and connected each other by antenna

I send a interplanetary satellite which have 1 50Mm dish and 1 900Gm dish

orbiting 40Mm*40Mm orbit

50Mm dish pointing to kerbin

but it can't receive signal from 600Km orbit's satellite

Do I did something wrong?:(