[0.20] RemoteTech: Relay Network – V 0.5.0.1

JDP

I'd like to remind everyone that RemoteTech 0.5.0.1 (latest) is unsupported.

Wait for the new RemoteTech 2.0 which will break compatibility.

No, seriously, stop uploading patches to fix RemoteTech for 0.21. You're only making it harder on the people who are patiently waiting.

JDP mailed me the parts he's been tweaking and I've put my latest codebase on github, so we're now entering the playtesting phase. This doesn't mean the plugin is ready and there are bugs and missing features. This just allows us to find them more easily. If anyone wants to contribute, nick the GameData folder off my github and give it a go, but I will explicitly state that you are not meant to use it for regular play. I will personally slap anyone who tries doing so.

When I asked earlier, it was said that using stock antennae and probe bodies should be fine. Use of the satellite dish was not recommended because satellite dish function has been greatly changed in the new RemoteTech, so relying on it may break your network.

I was just about to launch some satellites, so I'm glad I saw this. Will the old antenna parts still be there, or do I need to remove them from my ship so I can still load it up in the VAB after the update comes out?

People, do you even read what he writes? just 5 posts ago he said - NO, only the stock long antenna MAY(as in has a REMOTE chance to) survive.

The parts are fine, but I just wanted clarification that anything RemoteTech related that's getting written to the persistence file will survive.

The parts are fine, but I just wanted clarification that anything RemoteTech related that's getting written to the persistence file will survive.

He said save-breaking, so no.

You can make a backup when RT2.0 comes out, sort what works and what doesn't, and modify you design by removing the old parts, importing save, then adding the new one.

It's pretty clear that anything RT dependant in space is toast.

we're now entering the playtesting phase

Do you have a bugtracker of any sort?

edit. Oh, wait, github. Is there any point in using github's issue tracker for that?

Edited by J.Random

well loaded it up took a look was going to post bugs but looks like you already found all the ones i saw with the exception of mechjeb integration couldn't find a button to enable mechjeb. then all of a sudden mechjeb started working. not sure if its a bug or my computer is just slow.

well loaded it up took a look was going to post bugs but looks like you already found all the ones i saw with the exception of mechjeb integration couldn't find a button to enable mechjeb. then all of a sudden mechjeb started working. not sure if its a bug or my computer is just slow.

I'd prefer to say "**** mechjeb", but do realise the build I put up has a one second signal delay added for debug purposes. I'll figure out Mechjeb integration when I overhaul the local control mechanic.

I think the current handling of mechjeb integration is just that it tells remotetech to piss off and have it do whatever it wants.

I can relate to this. Whats the point of building a complicated network just to have no signal delay? I personally like mechjeb because it makes it way easier. I just hope there is some way to incorporate the signal delay with it.

second impression. I realize this is a bug testing version but if that's the parts list that will come with the final version then I would like to take this opportunity to plead for the return of the aeroprobe and the little rugged radial mount omnidirectional antenna. The mono probe, as well, was nice for putting up quick and dirty networks but I always felt they should have a expiration date. ie after a certain amount of time had past they become debris.

Edited by toril

second impression. I realize this is a bug testing version but if that's the parts list that will come with the final version then I would like to take this opportunity to plead for the return of the aeroprobe and the little rugged radial mount omnidirectional antenna. The mono probe, as well, was nice for putting up quick and dirty networks but I always felt they should have a expiration date ie after a certain amount of time had past they become debris.

Microsat is coming back. Aeroprobe as well at a later point. Need SOMETHING to use the Aerial flight computer on, right ;)?

Microsat is coming back. Aeroprobe as well at a later point. Need SOMETHING to use the Aerial flight computer on, right ;)?

very nice. No hope for the very kerbal and very unobtrusive little omni then? the antenna I am referring to was basically a long spike center mounted on a short block

very nice. No hope for the very kerbal and very unobtrusive little omni then? the antenna I am referring to was basically a long spike center mounted on a short block

No clue, ask JDP. I probably just forgot to add it back in.

No clue, ask JDP. I probably just forgot to add it back in.

ok well my reasoning in this was why waste money on a retractable antenna for a disposable launcher when you can just, basically, hang a wire down the side of the ship :)

ok well my reasoning in this was why waste money on a retractable antenna for a disposable launcher when you can just, basically, hang a wire down the side of the ship :)

The DF-RD antenna already kind of fulfills that niche and I was going to leave the dipole antenna out of RT2, but you make a good point. I might add in a smaller version of it for use as a cheap-as-nails, low-range antenna.

Edited by JDP

The DF-RD antenna already kind of fulfills that niche and I was going to leave it out of RT2, but you make a good point. I might add in a smaller version of the old dipole antenna for use as a cheap-as-nails low-range antenna.

I used to use it as well... I'd put a couple on the outside for short range comm especially during launch, then have a larger antenna for the real communication. However it's all new, so will take some getting used to so may not really care after awhile that they are gone. It does look great though; I love the look of the new antennas, animations and UI integration overall. Great job :)

-Mike

So I just loaded this up and I'm not sure if I've got a bug already or some kind of strange interactions between mods... But my throttle controls are "jiggling" now. IE instead of staying at zero, it's "bouncing" between 0 and 1... Means I can't keep a stable orbit or time accelerate.

So I just loaded this up and I'm not sure if I've got a bug already or some kind of strange interactions between mods...

feel free to submit it to the bugtracker here.

Be as specific as you can be regarding which kinds of input (keyboard/gamepad/joystick) is used, if you are on local control or operating within the (for testing purposes) minimum 1sec signal delay.

It would also be helpfull if you test without using other mods, but still feel free to submit any inter-mod interaction issues.

You guys are doing great work in the playtesting and bugreporting department. Keep 'em comin' :D

feel free to submit it to the bugtracker here.

Be as specific as you can be regarding which kinds of input (keyboard/gamepad/joystick) is used, if you are on local control or operating within the (for testing purposes) minimum 1sec signal delay.

It would also be helpfull if you test without using other mods, but still feel free to submit any inter-mod interaction issues.

You guys are doing great work in the playtesting and bugreporting department. Keep 'em comin' :D

I was *just* going to ask that... so the 1sec delay, even on the ground, is expected?

-Mike