[0.20] RemoteTech: Relay Network – V 0.5.0.1

JDP

Additionally, when i try to load the flight computer it pops up and dissapears, i have reinstalled twice now

This seems to be intended behaviour, it happens to me too when the probe is out of contact.

Hi JDP,

Any chance that this new version will have an implementation of separation of transmitter- and antennae functionality, and inverse square law range calculation based on transmitter power and antenna gain (as we discussed way back when you started remotetech)?

Hi JDP,

Any chance that this new version will have an implementation of separation of transmitter- and antennae functionality, and inverse square law range calculation based on transmitter power and antenna gain (as we discussed way back when you started remotetech)?

Isn't the antenna / transmitter separation already present with you needing a Command Pod (transmitter) and an antenna? If not how would this work in the context of KSP?

I haven't tested RT2 out yet, but in RT1 this was possible by aiming the probe's dish at the orbital body instead of at a particular commsat. In your case, target Kerbin with the probe's dish and it will automatically receive signal from the appropriate geosynchronous sats.

Seriously? How did I not know this.

Edited by Tiktaalik

This functionality is in the new standard flight computer. On top of that I hope to finish DCPU integration so you can program probes in fictional assembly or C like Progcom.

Please don't make the flight computer an auto pilot. If I want my flights to be on rails I'll install MechJeb. The 0.5.0.1 Flight computer acts as more of a flight assistant and what I prefer. DCPU if required for satellite functionality is a bad idea. My .02.

I would love a programmable flight computer. Not in the sense of "activate autopilot", but in that I could try to write my own by controlling the nitty-gritty details. This will make it possible to land remote probes on distant airless worlds. There should definitely be RAM and MHz limitations, too, with higher capacity/speed chips taking more electricity to run.

Please don't make the flight computer an auto pilot. If I want my flights to be on rails I'll install MechJeb. The 0.5.0.1 Flight computer acts as more of a flight assistant and what I prefer. DCPU if required for satellite functionality is a bad idea. My .02.

The point of the DCPU computer is that it allows you to write your own programs as far as I gather.

If you don't want an autopilot, just don't write a program that does that. But if you want to play with delay and pull of a probe landing on a distant planet you really need a computer. The time it takes to send a command usually is longer than the actual landing, you can't just que the commands and hope it'll all work out.

The point of the DCPU computer is that it allows you to write your own programs as far as I gather.

If you don't want an autopilot, just don't write a program that does that. But if you want to play with delay and pull of a probe landing on a distant planet you really need a computer. The time it takes to send a command usually is longer than the actual landing, you can't just que the commands and hope it'll all work out.

I get that. I guess my point is I don't want to have to learn to program, especially an assembly type language, to use and enjoy this mod. If I wanted to program for entertainment I'd be making my own plugins.

I get that. I guess my point is I don't want to have to learn to program, especially an assembly type language, to use and enjoy this mod. If I wanted to program for entertainment I'd be making my own plugins.

Exactly my thoughts, I mean if there was an advanced button and a simple button that would work, let the die hards program, I want to play

They won't open and they have no functionality, they deploy automatically in the VAB when I place them and poof they are done after that :(

same problem here

It worked the first time i loaded the flight, but after returning to VAB it did the same thing.

they get deployed both in the vab and on the launchpad and you cant interact with them

dont remember but meybe i got b9 installed(not sure, was a couple of days ago)

same problem here

It worked the first time i loaded the flight, but after returning to VAB it did the same thing.

they get deployed both in the vab and on the launchpad and you cant interact with them

dont remember but meybe i got b9 installed(not sure, was a couple of days ago)

Turns out I had RT0.5.1 installed, you need to remove all RT before installing RT2 this should fix that issue

The DCPU to seems like an attempt to simulate even more the technicalities of landing something on another planet. Imagine sending a probe, programming it's onboard computer to land, then watching it and hope it all works out exactly how you want it to be, like they do IRL.

I hope it sticks to that KSP feel for simplicity yet have complexity, for those looking for a challenge and to test if they really could land something I think the DCPU will be that way.

The DCPU to seems like an attempt to simulate even more the technicalities of landing something on another planet. Imagine sending a probe, programming it's onboard computer to land, then watching it and hope it all works out exactly how you want it to be, like they do IRL.

I hope it sticks to that KSP feel for simplicity yet have complexity, for those looking for a challenge and to test if they really could land something I think the DCPU will be that way.

I think the speed of light will be the main difficulty switch here. If you just want to set up a relay system throughout the solar system and don't care about delays and programming you can just set the speed of light to some arbitrarily high value and fly the whole thing manual. But if you want a challenge and you play with the default speed of light you're forced to program elaborate landing sequences. So the DCPU seems mostly there for people who want to play hardcore or the programmers who want to automate some simple features (auto staging and docking comes to mind).

Turns out I had RT0.5.1 installed, you need to remove all RT before installing RT2 this should fix that issue

i installed it on a clean .21 save along with mechjeb quantum struts and b9 (not sure wich mods)

FWIW, I'm not currently so interested in the programming aspect of this mod (that may change later, once I go outside Kerbin's SoI). I'm using it more to create an interesting limitation on automated flights, and therefore as a justification for manned flights.

Unfortunately, I've now got my entire main pseudo-career game on hold waiting for a playable version of this mod. I've made peace with the fact that my current KEO relay network will need to be reinstalled, and that my existing space telescope and mapsat will need to be replaced (because all their antenna parts will disappear). I can justify this in-game as the result of a catastrophic meteor swarm -- the same one that recently pummeled the Mun and triggered rapid tectonic activity on Kerbin. Fine... But I can't start designing or flying their replacements until this mod gets updated. And I really want to map the new Mun...

So I guess for the immediate future I'll either be keeping RT1, or just bumming around on Kerbin.

I've been killing time building space planes, as my main savegame is also on hold until RT2.

Yeah I reinstalled RT 0.5.1 and am bumming around with that and testing CCP so I can wait till RT2 and MJ2 compatibility

so are the dishes working? as I've got 2 satellites in geosynchronous orbit one over kerbin space centre. When I set up a dish pointing at each other I get no signal.. no line of sight issues either. Both using a 50Mm ranged antenna?

No one give me any info on whether this indended or not?

Love how this mod makes long range control of probes much more realistic!

Have really just got it installed and been reading old threads to make sense of the flight computer and all the line of sight mechanics etc. Very nice stuff.

My one question/suggestion: at present there does not seem to be a way to give an unmanned probe a script to follow if it temporarily goes out of line of sight. Obviously this is a big part of how probes are handled in RL; indeed I seem to recall that many probes have whole programs for what to do if they lose contact with home. For the purposes of the game, I don't think this functionality would need to be extensive, but some capacity to includes scripts to run when the probe is out of contact might be good. Mechjeb has this in it I think, but might consider including it Remote Tech too?

Specifically, I'm playing the NT Space Program mission pack in Mission Controller and mission alpha requires that you send up a probe to 70km and then recover it. Because cash flow is limited there is an impetus to do this as economically as possible, not to mention that I have only KSC to send receive signals at start. It is actually pretty hard to get to 70km and stay in contact with KSC without being in orbit so I had to tell my probe to deploy his chute at about 45km or thereabouts in order to insure that he landed safely.

Pretty minor issues, but just some ideas if it is still being developed.

Edited by Diche Bach

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but why are you removing ModuleCommand from the probes? It seems to work with both ModuleCommand and ModuleSPU, and that will allow us to still select control from here and rename vessel (and will enable FAR display for the vessel!)