[0.20] RemoteTech: Relay Network – V 0.5.0.1

JDP

I don't really get why we need the long-er attenna.

just making it so that the range from the undeployed attenna would be long enough that said attenna could be kept undeployed until it was out of the atmosphere, or that dynamic pressure wasn't a factor in its deployment

You're talking about the ESC-EXP antenna. Which is already in there. If you want a litthe longer range on your deployed antennae, I'd want it to be a bit more difficult to launch them.

Eh... I don't understand it fully atm. Tried to look for proper tutorial but can't find it. Can somebody point me to one?

There are not really any tutorials on RT2 yet, as new as it is. You can find some info on RT1 though floating about the wiki. I've also made a small intro video a while back. You should be able to find it either in this thread or on the youtubes.

I plan to make a complete suite of tutorial videos on RT2 after release.

I don't have a github account and don't see a need to create one right now, but... The RT2 download, as of this posting, includes two ModuleManager.dll files. One is set to go in its proper place in the root of the GameData directory, with the second one in the RemoteTech2 folder. From what I understand the second one is unnecessary, should be removed, and may be adding to people's confusion about MM's utility.

My 2c. Nice mod, looking forward to the full release of RT2.

Edited by XeroXion

Two semi-related questions:

Currently RT2 is only for testing. Any idea of how long until it will be properly released? Even an order of magnitude would be nice. (Minutes, hours, days, weeks, months...)

Second, will RT2 be compatible with RT1?

I'm looking into starting a "KSP Hard-mode" game, one that will be long-running, as usual for me (I've had... 3? saves so far), and wondering if I should a) wait for RT2, B) use RT1, or c) don't use RT at all.

Also, a suggestion: would it be possible to auto-assign free antennas? i.e. if a loaded vessel would be without control, search through any vessels that currently have control and have free antenna(s)/dish(es) and automatically try to connect with the vessel.

I don't have a github account and don't see a need to create one right now, but... The RT2 download, as of this posting, includes two ModuleManager.dll files. One is set to go in its proper place in the root of the GameData directory, with the second one in the RemoteTech2 folder. From what I understand the second one is unnecessary, should be removed, and may be adding to people's confusion about MM's utility.

My 2c. Nice mod, looking forward to the full release of RT2.

Good catch. Fixed and deleted.

Two semi-related questions:

Currently RT2 is only for testing. Any idea of how long until it will be properly released? Even an order of magnitude would be nice. (Minutes, hours, days, weeks, months...)

Second, will RT2 be compatible with RT1?

1) Not this wednesday, as was the projected one week from 0.21. JDP has been busy/missing lately and I've been working on other stuff, so we had a few weeks where we didn't do much.

2) For the love of the flying spaghetti monster, read a few pages and you will see that the answer is no.

3) RT 2 is very buggy and in playtesting. No one should use this for their game yet.

Edited by asmi

2) For the love of the flying spaghetti monster, read a few pages and you will see that the answer is no.

Sorry. I read back to page 127 and didn't see it. Looks like I was just short. Could you add that (the disclaimer that it will break save compatibility) to the main post, please?

1) Not this wednesday, as was the projected one week from 0.21. JDP has been busy/missing lately and I've been working on other stuff, so we had a few weeks where we didn't do much.

3) RT 2 is very buggy and in playtesting. No one should use this for their game yet.

Ok.

Looks like I won't be using it then. Too bad, I like the mod.

Edited by asmi

I understand the need of the 1S delay to test for math glitches, ect, but its making it bloody hard to nicely control things. Esp Remote rockets. Any easy thing we could get to turn it off for a bit and test things when I'm derping around on the Mun?

I understand the need of the 1S delay to test for math glitches, ect, but its making it bloody hard to nicely control things. Esp Remote rockets. Any easy thing we could get to turn it off for a bit and test things when I'm derping around on the Mun?

For now you can use a crewed vehicle and get rid of the signal delay via local control.

Do this work with the 0.21 version of the game? I would like to try this mod.

0.5.0.1 offically won't work and the new RemoteTech2 version is ONLY for testing (e.g. a default delay of at least 1 second).

Fabian

0.5.0.1 offically won't work and the new RemoteTech2 version is ONLY for testing (e.g. a default delay of at least 1 second).

Fabian

I would argue that the reason it's only for testing is the atrocious amount of bugs and missing features.

I would argue that the reason it's only for testing is the atrocious amount of bugs and missing features.

I didn't tested it yet. I even not updated KSP to 0.21.1 because I wanted to have RemoteTech (for real). So I don't know what features are missing/bugs exist.

Fabian

I'm writing this out of optimism since I don't know what's feasible and what isn't with mods. Anyway, in the new version of the mod it would be really awesome to see dishes able to automatically change between a chosen set targets depending on which are in range. Imagine you have three relay satellites at geosyncronous orbit and you have a probe in really high orbit. It would be really handy if when selecting targets, you could give it a priority list rather than one fixed target, that way it would switch as the satellites come in and go out of range. You would have one dish doing the work of three.

Another handy feature which occurred to me while docking is that if you had two craft really close to each other that were both in the network, close enough that you could rightclick on components of the craft you're not controlling, that you could interact with those components like you can with the ones on your craft. So for example if I were coming in close enough for docking with a craft and it had solar panels, I could toggle those solar panels before I've docked and without switching craft.

Edited by Tiktaalik

Anyhow folks, some dev news. I've attached the flight computer to each individual spu instead of the vessel. If you have multiple, one serves as a master. The advantage of this is that you can preload others with either attitude controls or Progcom assembly and have them execute on decoupling.

Cliph or JDP,

thinking about this master/slave device functionality and I was wondering: Would it be possible to have the active craft act as a Master, and be able to communicate with ships which are within the 2000m vicinity?

My idea with this is:

-be able to load commands to individual ships from the one currently being controlled.

-Have all ships which are set to be Slaved mimic the controls of the craft currently in control.

With the second idea, you can have all ships do a coordinated maneuver and basically have an interplanetary convoy (if all the slave ships have almost 0m/s relative velocity to the Master). All ships would modulate their throttle to achieve the same TWR among all the ships (ship with lowest possible TWR will be the limiting factor) so that their relative distances between each other remain the same (or close to it) during the maneuvers.

My idea with this is:

-be able to load commands to individual ships from the one currently being controlled.

-Have all ships which are set to be Slaved mimic the controls of the craft currently in control...

This has been possible for quite some time in RemoteTech 1 (you can open the flight computer of multiple vessels at once) and is supported by the backend of RemoteTech 2. We just have yet to implement an interface for it.

For now, you can actually get multiple flight computers open at once by simply not closing them when switching vessel focus. Each flight computer will control the vessel from which you opened it.

I am assuming that some of the antennas and dishes are broken on purpose at the moment? The EISA I think ones?

How are they broken? Apart from some bugs having to do with the network itself they work just fine on my end.

How are they broken? Apart from some bugs having to do with the network itself they work just fine on my end.

They won't open and they have no functionality, they deploy automatically in the VAB when I place them and poof they are done after that :(