[0.20] RemoteTech: Relay Network – V 0.5.0.1

JDP

I'd love to see a remote camera in these tools, kinda like the docking cam. This way you could use it to drive your rover w/o actually being there. It would feel more real.

You've pointed the outer sats' dishes at the inner sats... but have you pointed the inner sats' dishes at the outer sats?

Yes and I did all that before I lost contact with the sats.

A small request about the flight computer, would it be possible for it to switch modes for attitude in the same way the nav ball switches between surface, orbit and target? Having the flight computer burn towards the prograde or retrograde marker in surface and target mode would be awesome.

Thanks in advace

I'd love to see a remote camera in these tools, kinda like the docking cam. This way you could use it to drive your rover w/o actually being there. It would feel more real.

And what does this have to do with RemoteTech? This is about creating communication relays.

Yes and I did all that before I lost contact with the sats.

I'm wondering what happens over time: As the inner ring is "rotating" faster you need to point at least two antennae from the outer ring to the inner ring. When you only point one satellite in the outer ring at one satellite in the inner ring, it is sometimes on the opposite side of Kerbin. When this happens the outer ring satellite should contact one satellite in the inner ring on the other side of the other inner ring satellite. Of course this satellite then has to communicate with the outer ring satellite.

It really would be nice if you could target multiple satellites at once, and it selects automatically the most suitable one.

Fabian

And what does this have to do with RemoteTech? This is about creating communication relays.

Because the Rovers on Mars are controlled through Communications Relay.

Personally, although I don't see this being implemented, I would also enjoy this feature. It would make alot of my jobs I do in KSP easier than constantly swapping between my Rovers ect when I can just use them all as a Remote Control [as they are intended to be] and stay with my Station ect.

I'm wondering what happens over time: As the inner ring is "rotating" faster you need to point at least two antennae from the outer ring to the inner ring. When you only point one satellite in the outer ring at one satellite in the inner ring, it is sometimes on the opposite side of Kerbin. When this happens the outer ring satellite should contact one satellite in the inner ring on the other side of the other inner ring satellite. Of course this satellite then has to communicate with the outer ring satellite.

It really would be nice if you could target multiple satellites at once, and it selects automatically the most suitable one.

Fabian

Because the Rovers on Mars are controlled through Communications Relay.

Personally, although I don't see this being implemented, I would also enjoy this feature. It would make alot of my jobs I do in KSP easier than constantly swapping between my Rovers ect when I can just use them all as a Remote Control [as they are intended to be] and stay with my Station ect.

I was thinking the same thing. Remote defines ME not having direct control, or using a remote control. If I have control and I'm "actually there" then remote is a moot point.

If I have to be with my ship/rover/ etc, then I have no use for remote relay, unless it's for radio communication. For communication this mod is great but as yet we have no one to communicate with.

Please don't get me wrong.

I'm not in any way putting down the mod, or its creators, because it's cool and I'm playing with it, I just thought it could be expanded.:D

If I'm thinking off track, please tell me.

Well, RemoteTech defines wether you have control of this vessel. In my opinion, what you propose should be done in a seperate mod. Some people will want to remote control vehicles the way you describe without dealing with building a com network, and others only want to use the com network aspect. So why overcomplicate things?

Well, RemoteTech defines weather you have control of this vessel. In my opinion, what you propose should be done in a seperate mod. Some people will want to remote control vehicles the way you describe without dealing with building a com network, and others only want to use the com network aspect. So why overcomplicate things?

I do see your point. If this is a Com type mod then another mod could be spawned to go along with this. :) I was thinking robotics when I saw what I could do with this, only because at this time we don't have anyone to communicate with. LOL

hey there i read few pages out of them all but couldnt get the info w/o reading the whole thread well here is my little issue, i got myself a geosstationary relay satellites up, 4 of em are low range with only antenna and small dishes, and 4 of em got 4 large dishes , my question is this one: how do you manage to keep signal with a satellite i'd like to send out in the solar syatem i know that i can loose signal once in a while but as soon as my satellite went out of kerbin influence well i lost signal could you help me, is there a youtube guide i didnt find or anything,

thx

hey there i read few pages out of them all but couldnt get the info w/o reading the whole thread well here is my little issue, i got myself a geosstationary relay satellites up, 4 of em are low range with only antenna and small dishes, and 4 of em got 4 large dishes , my question is this one: how do you manage to keep signal with a satellite i'd like to send out in the solar syatem i know that i can loose signal once in a while but as soon as my satellite went out of kerbin influence well i lost signal could you help me, is there a youtube guide i didnt find or anything,

thx

Point the long range dishes at the interplanetary probe and the probe's dish at Kerbin.

A dish can point at a body it is not orbiting and achive a link with anything there. E.x. A a laythe probe can aim at kerbin and kerbin relays can point at laythe.

Because the Rovers on Mars are controlled through Communications Relay. […]

So? Should they add everything else, because Rovers on Mars are controlled through communications relays? This think makes a connection, what you are doing with it is up to you and your mods. For example Chatterer uses this plugin to calculate latencies. But should Remote Tech implement Chatterer because it simulates communication?

On another note I don't think it is possible to a second craft far away and watch what it is doing there. And in fact I could understand that remote controlling something might be in the scope of this plugin, but it sounded simply as you (not you EmissionGeneration) wanted a camera mod.

Fabian

You guys do realise that the screen you are looking at the craft with -is- the remote camera, right? Unless you want a little screen in your corner that shows a view of a rover on Duna while sitting on a chair on Kerbin, because that is never going to happen.

Anywho, decided to do some coding during the KSPTV marathon and managed to add signal delay to the Part Action menus. Yes, there is now signal delay for folding solar panels.

Edited by Cilph

You guys do realise that the screen you are looking at the craft with -is- the remote camera, right? Unless you want a little screen in your corner that shows a view of a rover on Duna while sitting on a chair on Kerbin, because that is never going to happen.

I think what they are talking about is having a camera mounted on the craft itself and you are only allowed to view through that camera when under remote control. As opposed to the magical floating camera we have now :sticktongue: It makes no difference to me though, the signal delay is the main thing that always reminds me that i'm not actively controlling the probes.

I think what they are talking about is having a camera mounted on the craft itself and you are only allowed to view through that camera when under remote control. As opposed to the magical floating camera we have now :sticktongue: It makes no difference to me though, the signal delay is the main thing that always reminds me that i'm not actively controlling the probes.

Yeah, no, sorry, not gonna happen. I can think of a dozen technical reasons on why you can't put cameras such a distance away.

Yeah, no, sorry, not gonna happen. I can think of a dozen technical reasons on why you can't put cameras such a distance away.
Well, I sometimes miss some kind of IVA view for probes and rovers. Some kind of camera part with an IVA-like view. I guess that would get the job done. It's kind of annoying that all my screenshots taken from my probes have that probe in them. But I'll stop the OT now. :wink:

I bet I could end this, and yes I didn't think about that - the camera is the remote camera. LOL I was thinking the small screen.

But there could be a separate mod with just a camera and a screen. :) And that ends my conversation.

And I still love this mod.

Back to your regular scheduled channel.

5 km limitation on KSC?

what, is Jeb standing on the roof whistling control tones into his walkie-talkie??

JDP is from one of those freaky countries where they use periods to split up large numbers and a comma for decimals. :P So KSC has a range of 5000 kilometers, not 5.

JDP is from one of those freaky countries where they use periods to split up large numbers and a comma for decimals. :P So KSC has a range of 5000 kilometers, not 5.

The SI recommendation is to use whitespace to group decimals and comma or period as a decimal seperator. Sounds logical to me. Or avoid grouping at all and use the SI prefixes (5 Mm), which may be weird units for some people.

Fabian

The SI recommendation is to use whitespace to group decimals and comma or period as a decimal seperator. Sounds logical to me. Or avoid grouping at all and use the SI prefixes (5 Mm), which may be weird units for some people.

Fabian

The period is typically used as a decimal separator in English, though.

The period is typically used as a decimal separator in English, though.

Same for miles and pounds. Luckily this game doesn't.

@Cliph: How does the new target system works? I lost a probe, because it antenna was located at “sun†and when it got into a solar orbit it didn't connected to the other probes in the solar orbit. I know this is the default behaviour of 0.5.0.1 but it's kind of strange that within Kerbin's SoI I got a connection and suddenly it left the SoI and the connection terminates. This is even weirder when you are between Mun and Kerbin: A relay satellite points at Mun with the 50 Mm dish, but a satellite between Mun and Kerbin outside Mun's SoI got no connection.

Actually I don't have a good solution for this, except allow multiple targets and when a connection failed it tries the next one. For example I would add Kerbin to my probe as a secondary target and I could establish a emergency connection from Kerbin with another satellite. And at lest the satellite between Mun and Kerbin could target all relay satellites around Kerbin. It won't fix the problem for this satellite as I still have to manually target the satellite from a relay satellite. Another “workaround†is to target the Mun, but this only works with a relay satellite network around the Mun and there is the same hazard of losing connection forever, when this target isn't changed to Kerbin and it is entering the Mun's SoI. Although this could be fixed by an omnidirectional antenna (as there needs to be a relay network already) or another dish pointing at Kerbin.

And another thing about the expandable 50 Gm antenna: It's quite heavy, twice as heavy as the fixed one, although it looks relatively small. Now I did reduce the mass to 250 kg and I'm now able to control my little probes (and those go into interplanetary space so I need the 50 Gm one), but I personally want to be as “original†as possible so maybe there could be another way to reduce the antenna's mass? For example to use a less effective one with a lower bandwidth, but I don't know how the plugin can simulate bandwidth. It only seems odd that you always have to use the very large antenna. And afaik real world satellites use different types of antennae allowing connection without pointing at each other (like the omnidirectional ones) but with a very low bandwidth simply as backup to fix the satellites orientation.

But in the end I'm pretty happy with the plugin! Nice work.

Fabian

Ok, This has probably been mentioned before but I have a problem with the solar-dish dish. Sometimes I reload the craft and the dish disappears, like when they break, Is their a fix?

A quick check of the files doesn't show an obvious way to change that, Moon Goddess. Just think of it as encouragement to set up your own network. You can, of course, build a rover with a strong antenna (and maybe some satellite dishes) and park it somewhere nice.