[0.20] RemoteTech: Relay Network – V 0.5.0.1

JDP

...so the 1sec delay, even on the ground, is expected?..

Yep. It's just for testing the signal delay mechanic and will be removed before RT2 is released.

Yep. It's just for testing the signal delay mechanic and will be removed before RT2 is released.

PHEW :) Between the 1s delay and getting used to the new "SAS" in .21, was a challenge with a launch.

-Mike

Hello i'm new to RT, will Module Manager be required or could we do away with it if we don't want stock parts to be modified? I see on Github it says "Patcher to fix Unity GUI interaction with EZGUI" in modulemanager.dll's description, so it could be doing something else.

PHEW :) Between the 1s delay and getting used to the new "SAS" in .21, was a challenge with a launch.

If you're gonna use the playtest version for more than playtesting, you're gonna have a bad time :)

...will Module Manager be required or could we do away with it if we don't want stock parts to be modified?

All RemoteTech specific modules are handled by ModuleManager now, even the parts that come bundled with RemoteTech. This means that ModuleManager is needed for RemoteTech to work.

If you want the stock parts to remain completely stock, all you have to do is delete RemoteTech_Squad.cfg and ModuleManager wont change any of the stock parts.

I see on Github it says "Patcher to fix Unity GUI interaction with EZGUI" in modulemanager.dll's description, so it could be doing something else.

that description was only meant for another file that was uploaded at the same time. it doesn't apply to ModuleManager.dll.

If you're gonna use the playtest version for more than playtesting, you're gonna have a bad time :)

Understood, was just playing around to see how it worked. :) I'm trying to nail down an odd issue I'm seeing with the new small omni antenna. Sometimes doesn't activate randomly whether manually or via action group. Also find that if I add two or more, it doesn't seem to work either.

-Mike

Just curious why we are being pushed into using ModuleManager when it doesn't seem needed? 0.5 worked perfectly without it. I'm not trying to be rude but just curious.

Now that the old probe compatibility pack will be merged with the main addon, ModuleManager certainly is needed. It also allows for a much cleaner config setup that will make it easier for you to tweak and change RemoteTech variables at will, without having to dig through subfolders and multiple config files with a lot of irrelevant variables.

Hopefully the devs will one day fix the PartLoader to work as intended (complete with all the functionality currently added by ModuleManager). By that time, we won't need to bundle ModuleManager with RemoteTech.

Okay, maybe I missed it, but how do I eliminate the unrealistic minimum 1s delay. There should be at most, 0.1s delay on launch. I'm sorry, but even the 1960's technology didn't have an appreciable delay between pushing the firing command and it actually doing it.

Okay, maybe I missed it, but how do I eliminate the unrealistic minimum 1s delay.

check the bugtracker (and the last couple of pages of other people asking the same thing :P). It's just in there for testing purposes. It'll be removed soon.

ok well my reasoning in this was why waste money on a retractable antenna for a disposable launcher when you can just, basically, hang a wire down the side of the ship :)

Why hang a wire down the side of your ship when you have a perfectly good metal spaceship chassis to use as an antenna?

Okay, I guess I misread the previous pages when I was scanning through them. :)

Will check the bugtracker to see if the one major issue I've found has been reported. Other than that, seems to be working okay so far.

Why hang a wire down the side of your ship when you have a perfectly good metal spaceship chassis to use as an antenna?

resistance dampens energy transmission, while using the hull as an antenna to receive signals may not be that bad an idea, it would add a lot of noise. transmitting through it would be expensive energy-wise, and the signal would suck, noisy etc. there is a reason they design antennas the way they do. The wire comment was referring to the dipole antenna configuration which is stiff not flapping in the breeze. it helps if you imagine radio as sound and the antenna as a speaker of sorts. how clear it is on the receiving end depends on the shape of both the transmitter and the receiver.(this is the main reason the army hides their antennas from view you can tell very easily what the antenna is for and how it works just by its shape)

So the way module manager works is not by downloading something related to it directly, but rather leaves it to the mod devs to include an appropriate dll in their mods which has the ModuleManager code in it?

So the way module manager works is not by downloading something related to it directly, but rather leaves it to the mod devs to include an appropriate dll in their mods which has the ModuleManager code in it?

NO!

There is only one modulemanager.dll and you should only have one (preferably newest, downloaded from Module Manager thread link) in your GameData folder (in root GameData folder, not in any particular mod folder). Each mod however comes with it's own, perfectly editable .cfg file which contains all the changes that have to be applied to part.cfg in stock parts/other mods. There is a manual in the first post of Module Manager thread on how to write/edit these files to make own changes.

And JDP, you should, for that reason, remove modulemanager.dll from your mod and just give link to it in install instructions, because it causes confusion - people end up with multiple modulemanager.dll files in their install, which breaks their game, as each of them processes all cfg files on its own and people end up with duplicated entries, causing e.g. antennas to have multiple 'deploy antenna' buttons in right click menu/action groups (or double/triple energy drain from multiplicated SPUs).

Edited by m4ti140

ModuleManager will be included and it will be mentioned in the final installation instructions where to put it. If people can not comprehend this I refuse to accommodate their stupidity. Fin.

For those worried about being 'forced' to use a seperate DLL: ModuleManager is a hundred line small plugin that runs once at boot. Would you rather every plugin developer re-invent the wheel and make their own ModuleManager?

my stock antennas are now retracted in v2... is there a debug menu to temporary disable RT2!?

You have been told RemoteTech 2 WAS NOT FOR REGULAR PLAY. *kicks StainX*. Do you people not listen?!

Edited by Cilph

The only thing ModuleManager does is, in a sence, patch the PartLoader to work as mu intended: complete with the ability to modify other config files. Nothing is downloaded and nothing is written to harddisk.

my stock antennas are now retracted in v2... is there a debug menu to temporary disable RT2!?

nope. no debug menu. we recommend you only install the playtest version of RT2 if you want to test it, and not in your main worlds.

When playing your main world, simply delete or move the RemoteTech2 folder from GameData.

And thanks for testing by the way *GlaDos voice* :D

You have been told RemoteTech 2 WAS NOT FOR REGULAR PLAY. *kicks StainX*. Do you people not listen?!

Ouch, that hurt^^

Just wanted to test around with it, and not send up a satellite network again :D

And thanks for testing by the way *GlaDos voice* :D

Aperture Science, we do what we must, because we can! :D

Isn't a debug menu not a good idea anyway? :/

Edited by StainX

NO!

There is only one modulemanager.dll and you should only have one (preferably newest, downloaded from Module Manager thread link) in your GameData folder (in root GameData folder, not in any particular mod folder). Each mod however comes with it's own, perfectly editable .cfg file which contains all the changes that have to be applied to part.cfg in stock parts/other mods. There is a manual in the first post of Module Manager thread on how to write/edit these files to make own changes.

And JDP, you should, for that reason, remove modulemanager.dll from your mod and just give link to it in install instructions, because it causes confusion - people end up with multiple modulemanager.dll files in their install, which breaks their game, as each of them processes all cfg files on its own and people end up with duplicated entries, causing e.g. antennas to have multiple 'deploy antenna' buttons in right click menu/action groups (or double/triple energy drain from multiplicated SPUs).

Thanks. Though that does not explain how RT2 works on stock parts in my installation when I have never installed anything related to MM.

And I was just asking how it works, since I don't use MM, but I would like to use RT2, to which Cliph answered.

Thanks to both of you.

Thanks. Though that does not explain how RT2 works on stock parts in my installation when I have never installed anything related to MM.

And I was just asking how it works, since I don't use MM, but I would like to use RT2, to which Cliph answered.

Thanks to both of you.

RT2 uses the modulemanager to modify the stock parts, if you look into the rt2 gamedata folder there is a .cfg file in there for stock parts, also one in there for AEIS parts. without the modulemanager.dll those 2 files will not modify the parts they intend too!

I don't really get why we need the long-er attenna.

just making it so that the range from the undeployed attenna would be long enough that said attenna could be kept undeployed until it was out of the atmosphere, or that dynamic pressure wasn't a factor in its deployment