[0.20] RemoteTech: Relay Network – V 0.5.0.1

JDP

Just tested out the latest update. I'm running .21 via steam and have MechJeb2, KAS, and Kethane mods installed with your RT2.

What I've noticed is if I attach the MechJeb2 part to my ship and try to use MechJeb the throttle will jump to about 1/3 and bounce/shake at that position. I have tried toggling the delay via the probe part but hasn't seemed to help.

Any other solutions? I'm pretty sure it's MechJeb2, if I don't install the MechJeb part on my ship and launch manually it works.

Thanks again for the wonder work you're doing!

[…]1 with a 100Gm range[…]

Actually it's 900 Gm. (But with the new RT2 it doesn't really matter)

Fabian

Edited by xZise

Just tested out the latest update. I'm running .21 via steam and have MechJeb2, KAS, and Kethane mods installed with your RT2.

What I've noticed is if I attach the MechJeb2 part to my ship and try to use MechJeb the throttle will jump to about 1/3 and bounce/shake at that position. I have tried toggling the delay via the probe part but hasn't seemed to help.

Any other solutions? I'm pretty sure it's MechJeb2, if I don't install the MechJeb part on my ship and launch manually it works.

Thanks again for the wonder work you're doing!

It's MechJeb and RT Fighting for control of the throttle. Both of them want control and neither one can override the other. So you basically get a choice, launch with RT or launch with MechJeb.

I found a workaround for that. You can get your relay satellites to work properly by targeting them with a Comlar 1 dish on a craft within comms. This doesn't seem to work with the big reflectron, comtech-2 and cp-1.

Nope, that only boosts the range of the connection, which can in some cases make a connection. But won't increase the number of hops that the connection makes, and it doesn't work around the bug where protosatellites don't initialise correctly.

It's MechJeb and RT Fighting for control of the throttle. Both of them want control and neither one can override the other. So you basically get a choice, launch with RT or launch with MechJeb.

Which is unfortunate because it used to work with MJ

Could somebody please explain how to install RT2 the read-me on github is blank?

I use a Steam version, which might be slightly different than non-Steam. However, I get the impression the directory structures are identical even though their location on your computer can be different.

Figure out where Kerbal Space Program lives on your machine. For me it is:

C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program

Inside there you will have a

C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData

That is where the RT2 folder(s) you will download will go so you'll have:

C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\RemoteTech

Inside that RemoteTech you should have at least 3 sub-directories "Parts," "Plugins" and "Resources" as well as a Readme.txt, which btw here it is:

_______ _______ _______ _______ _________ _______ _________ _______ _______

( ____ )( ____ \( )( ___ )\__ __/( ____ \\__ __/( ____ \( ____ \|\ /|

| ( )|| ( \/| () () || ( ) | ) ( | ( \/ ) ( | ( \/| ( \/| ) ( |

| (____)|| (__ | || || || | | | | | | (__ | | | (__ | | | (___) |

| __)| __) | |(_)| || | | | | | | __) | | | __) | | | ___ |

| (\ ( | ( | | | || | | | | | | ( | | | ( | | | ( ) |

| ) \ \__| (____/\| ) ( || (___) | | | | (____/\ | | | (____/\| (____/\| ) ( |

|/ \__/(_______/|/ \|(_______) )_( (_______/ )_( (_______/(_______/|/ \|

Name: RemoteTech: Relay Network for KSP.

Version: 0.5.0.1

Author: JDP

Based on the Satellite Relay Network plugin by The_Duck

This plugin is free to use and modify as long as the original authors are credited.

This plugin, and derivatives thereof, may only be hosted on kerbalspaceprogram.com.

Changelog:

V 0.5.0.1

• Added target-tracking dishes.

• Added custom aeurodynamic model for shrapnel created if tracking dishes break apart under high speed.

• Added a timing field in the attitude computer akin to the field in the throttle computer.

• tweaked the time input field to now allow you to input days (dd:hh:mm:ss).

• Added support for throttle increment controls.

• Fixed issue where antennae breaking off at very high speed could cause game to lag.

• Added multithreading in relay calculations and tweaked calculation load to give higher performance.

V 0.5.0.0

• Rewrote entire plugin to use only PartModules.

• Expanded the RemoteTech animation modules to allow for multiple simultaneous animations, inter-module events and looped animations.

• Rewrote the modding interface to use only KSPfields and KSPevents.

• Added a new RemoteCore handler to run parallel with vessel handling.

• Added rover mode in the flight computer.

• Added remote access to other RT vessel's flight computers.

• Added MechJeb 2.x compatability.

• Tweaked loss-of-signal behaviour.

• Added the MicroSat.

• Added the AeroProbe.

V 0.4.0.4

• Fixed the gear toggling bug introduced in KSP 0.18.4, and exacerbated by 0.19.

• Fixed some more remaining bugs in input lock removal.

• Fixed an exploit with maneuver nodes that would allow circumventing signal delays.

• Added a timing feature to the throttle flight computer.

• Added signal delay to stock rover controls.

• Rebalanced Parts.

V 0.4.0.3

• Added delayed ActionGroup activation.

• Fixed some remaining bugs in input lock removal.

• Tweaked the way HoldSAS is implemented

• Added a failsafe to the persistence loader. Now it clamps window positions to allways be within the screen.

V 0.4.0.2

• Integrated docking mode in the input and event handler fixing a lot of bugs.

• Added holdSAS to the event handler.

• Tweaked the throttle autopilot to calculate directional speed, making it more compatible with maneuver nodes.

• Added a new part; the MegaStrut. A massive strut riddled with attachment nodes. This should help out a lot in station building.

• Added a small cheat. Find it if you can.

V 0.4.0.1

• Fixed a bug in the animation module that caused antenna and dish ranges to be saved incorectly to the persistence file.

• Fixed a couple of activation issues that arise when undocking/docking. Still haven't fixed them all though.

V 0.4.0.0

• A major update to make RemoteTech 0.18 compatible.

• Tweaked the flight computer to more acurately handle PartModules.

• Changed the naming of the two part classes to better comply with their new roles in 0.18.

• Added animation module.

• Added Maneuver Node functionality to the autopilot.

• Added power consumption to all RemoteTech parts.

V 0.3.5.5

• Fixed the staging delay method so it doesn't disable staging in other ships.

• Fixed MechJeb compatability with integrated RemoteTech KillRot.

V 0.3.5.4

• Tweaked the delay method to also delay stage activation.

• Added custom RemoteTech icons.

• Implemented attitude control in unfocused vessels.

• Added delta-V mode in the throttle flight computer.

• Fixed surface attach on the interplanetary class dish.

• Fixed the issue where local control would be reset after decoupling debris.

V 0.3.5.3

• Implemented a new debris activation method pioneered by Zool. Staging is now supported in remote controlled debris.

• Implemented r4m0ns Smart A.S.S. code in a new flight computer. You can now remotely tell the computer which attitude to maintain and how long to burn the engine at a certain percentage.

• Revamped the list of targets in the settings menu. Now it's more obvious what is a vessel, planet or moon, and what's orbiting what.

• Optimized the way antenna states are saved and handled. This will not break compatability, but you will need to cycle through all your satellites to reset their savestates.

• Added in-game stat menus for all RemoteTech Parts

• Added a context menu, so the graphical menus can be hidden. It's also now possible to turn on inverse staging. This somewhat fixes an annoyance in some setups of activated and staged debris.

• Added persistence in window positions and which windows are open by default.

V 0.3.5.2

• Fixed compatability with joystick throttle. Bought a joystick to test it this time.

• Added compatability with MechJeb. Now MechJeb will be able to activate local control.

• Added support for crewable CommandPods that don't spawn crew in the RemotePod class.

• Added in-game stats drawn from the part config file.

V 0.3.5.1

• Changed the version naming convention to comply with kerbal.net standards.

• Made it possible to RemoteCommand crewable vessels without any crew on board.

• Hopefully fixed compatability with axis controls for throttle. I Don't currently have a way to test it though.

V 0.35:

• Applied the 0.17 compatability fixes developed by community members.

• fixed an exploit that could give zero delay at interplanetary distances.

• fixed the buggy throttle controls introduced in 0.17.

V 0.34:

• Fixed a lag issue with the "list comsats" submenu.

• Added two extra parts; Satellite Dish - Interplanetary class and Dipole Antenna. Both where made by rkman.

V 0.33:

• Added detailed satellite tracking in the "list Comsats" submenu, only satellites that have a signal path to the active Vessel are now editable, other satellites are colored red.

• Added the ability to point a satellite dish at an antenna, with a x2 range bonus for the antenna.

• Added a config file where you can edit the speed of light, number of crew needed for RemoteCommand and toggling detailed satellite tracking.

• Added an interface for use by other modders.

V 0.32:

• Fixed the staging setup on a mothership being reset after decoupling a RemoteControlled Vessel.

• Semi-fixed the issue where liquid engines would go dead if placed on top of the decoupler from which a RemoteControlled Vessel is decoupled.

• Gave the settings menu another overhaul so now it exactly matches the way the game handles the Relay Network.

List of known bugs:

• Renaming a Vessel in the settings utility only works for loaded Vessels, unloaded Vessels don't keep their edited name and revert upon next load.

• There is a visual glitch causing the visual representation of the signal path to be irratic at times, this is purely visual though and shouldn't affect gameplay.

If you want the stock science/communications parts to have Remote tech functionality then you should also install the

C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\RemoteTech_MM_ProbeCompatibility

Not essential for installing but a good 'best practices' mod installation procedure that I follow for manual mod installations.

1. Once I understand how mods work with an existing app, create a backup of (at least) those sections of the vanilla app that will be overwritten. This way, you can revert to vanilla without having to reinstall the entire program. In the case of Remote Tech, I do not believe any stock files are ever overwritten. However, for say, MechJeb 2.09, the stock command pods are overwritten so that they all have mechjeb functionality. So in that case I copied the contents of the whole Squad Game Data directory and created this

C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\Backup of Squad Game Data\Squad

I didn't actually need to back up that whole thing, only the

C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\Backup of Squad Game Data\Squad\Parts\Command

but it isn't really that much disk space and it was just easier to copy and paste the whole thing.

2. Before I ever start to download any mods, I create a sub-directory in a place that I'll be able to find, such as:

C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\Downloads

Then I create additional subdirectories for each mod I download, so I have for example:

C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\Downloads\B9 Aerospace Pack R3

C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\Downloads\Chatterer

C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\Downloads\HOME 1.03

etc.,

The archive files that you download from the SpacePort go into their appropriate download sub-directory, and get extracted there, and then you can examine how the modder has packaged it and what you need to move where. I find this is a much less headachy way to do it than to simply download the archive directly into the Game Data where the mod files will live and work. That tends to result in a lot of clutter and redundancy and makes it more difficult to know what goes where.

Once you have examined what you have downloaded and unzipped, then I typically copy and paste to the place they need to be to function with the game application, and leave the original copy alone so that I can always reference what the download included (in the event that I make any changes to the files myself later).

Again it is a bit more typing and you will have two copies (actually three counting the archive) of the files for the mod, but again, I find it can be helpful when you want to reverse the process of installing and or keep track of what you do and do not have installed.

Edited by Diche Bach

Thanks to the developers for a great mod! I decided to test the new version and ran into a problem - the effect disappeared jettison, steps were only separated. Had a clean game, no mods except for RT2.

Sorry for my English.

Which is unfortunate because it used to work with MJ

Agreed. But now that they changed the flight computer it won't work with MJ and to me at least, I will and have dropped this instead of MJ. Hope they can, and will, fix it. Loved the old RT. New one not so much.

Guys,

I'm glad everyone is reading the github bug list because I see multiple people abandoning ship and claiming that certain things are done and over with and are decisions being made based on absolutely NOTHING.

The MJ/RT2 problem is known, listed, and will be fixed. This was a problem with several of the early versions of RT too. Because both modules need to be able to manipulate the same things and they need to work independently and cooperatively (because some people may use one or the other... I know, what a concept, not everyone wants every addon), it doesn't always work right, especially when major changes in the BASE PROGRAM occur that makes both addon makers have to rewrite entire sections of code just to work with the stock game much less work with other mods that may or may not be installed on a given system.

There's a reason RT2 has multiple warnings it's in PLAYTEST. If you don't understand what that means, then you need to go sit on the bench a while and not post here unless you know what you're talking about. In fact, I would submit that maybe you re-think participating in an OPEN BETA of this program all together because too many on this thread alone (not to mention several others) don't seem to understand that this is still a game in major development and the mods are all in major development and thus guess what - stuff is gonna break, get broken, and need to be fixed.

If you don't like where RT2 is right now - then go elsewhere. Don't fill pages upon pages of your whining and crying about how woe are you because your "favorite" addon doesn't work. You didn't pay a dime for RT. You don't have a right to complain. Let JDP and Cliph do their thing and come back when they're done. If you want to be a CONSTRUCTIVE part of helping them improve the product, then stay here and do so. Otherwise, I think it's time for some of you to go away for a while.

*Wall-O-Text*

*looks up* Nice soapbox preacher-man.

Just a few small issues with your logic. One, Yes we know that this is a free mod being made out of the creators own time and energy. HOWEVER we are the consumer and that does give us a right to complain if something doesn't work.

Two, Most of the issues I have seen have been over the fact that it appears, both from what I have seen and how they phrased it, that the creators are scrapping a system that works perfectly. This may or may not be the actual case but regardless it is how things appear. Us users stating our issues IS constructive criticism as we are simply informing the makers of what we do and don't like.

Three, Honestly it is rather insulting that you, for whatever reason, feel that if somebody doesn't understand something that they shouldn't be here AT ALL. Try actually helping them understand first.

If you want the stock science/communications parts to have Remote tech functionality then you should also install the

C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\RemoteTech_MM_ProbeCompatibility

Nope, he's asking about RT2, which has the probe compatibility already built in. No need to install the probe compatibility pack on RT2

The archive files that you download from the SpacePort go into their appropriate download sub-directory, and get extracted there, and then you can examine how the modder has packaged it and what you need to move where. I find this is a much less headachy way to do it than to simply download the archive directly into the Game Data where the mod files will live and work. That tends to result in a lot of clutter and redundancy and makes it more difficult to know what goes where.

I have a different opinion on that, just dumping the archive into GameData keeps all data from a mod together, and keeps data from different mods separated. I find that this results in a lot less clutter, and makes it in fact easier to know what goes where.

As a programmer, I'm going to have to side with CAPFlyer on this one. The amount of effort that goes into making something like RemoteTech is tremendous, and some of the complaints about the open beta I've seen here definitely qualify as "whining". Calm down, people. Either play-test and report bugs, or hold off on RT2 until it's released.

As a programmer, I'm going to have to side with CAPFlyer on this one. The amount of effort that goes into making something like RemoteTech is tremendous, and some of the complaints about the open beta I've seen here definitely qualify as "whining". Calm down, people. Either play-test and report bugs, or hold off on RT2 until it's released.

And I can appreciate the effort that goes into this and the skill required to make it.

Dont worry cap, the attitude shown here on this early release is exactly the same shown to squad for their early releases. At least the community is consistent.

Ive decided not to test it and thats fine by me and presumably fine for everyone else. When comprehensive bug reports are filled and 2.01 is out then ill marvel at how awesome the community is. :)

Just a few small issues with your logic. One, Yes we know that this is a free mod being made out of the creators own time and energy. HOWEVER we are the consumer and that does give us a right to complain if something doesn't work.

No it doesn't. This is a PRIVATE forum. As such, you have no rights. Add to that you didn't pay for anything and you have no legal, moral, or "implied" standing to demand anything of the mod creators. Period.

Two, Most of the issues I have seen have been over the fact that it appears, both from what I have seen and how they phrased it, that the creators are scrapping a system that works perfectly. This may or may not be the actual case but regardless it is how things appear. Us users stating our issues IS constructive criticism as we are simply informing the makers of what we do and don't like.

Two issues here -

1) You are not reading JDP and Cliph's statements to make the above comment. There has been nothing implied or phrased to say they are scrapping the current system. What they have said is that they are having to rebuild the system to function with the new way the core program handles certain things and to clean up the badly written (by their own admission) code in RT (v1). The statement has been made several times, quite clearly, that the end product for RT2 will contain the SAME FUNCTIONALITY as RT1 with additional features added. It may go about handling that functionality differently, but it will still be the same functionality. The only ones talking about changing functionality are USERS, most of whom haven't read what JDP and Cliph have stated nor have they actually looked at RT2, they're just making assumptions based on a few users complaining about how parts of a very early alpha of a new version isn't working (and which they were told wouldn't work) and then running with it and then 3 pages later, suddenly it's now "fact" that something has been removed, added, or changed, all without a single post from either of the developers.

2) Issues are not what you were stating. You stated that the flight computer has been changed when it hasn't. The CORE PROGRAM has changed and that caused the problem between RT and MJ, not the developers. They even put as a "bug" on the GitHub tracker before they even released the playtest version that it was a known issue. That says they are going to *FIX* the issue and that it is not a design or implementation change that is planned or permanent.

Three, Honestly it is rather insulting that you, for whatever reason, feel that if somebody doesn't understand something that they shouldn't be here AT ALL. Try actually helping them understand first.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but I can't help someone who doesn't want help. When every 3rd or 4th post is someone saying how they're "not going to use this mod" or something to that effect based on incomplete and/or flat out false information being posted by other users instead of what's being posted by the developers or users actually involved in the testing and trying to get it to work, then why should I try to help them? They've already shown they don't want to spend a few minutes to read the bug list or read the posts by JDP and Cliph about the development progress, so how would I be able to help them when they make assumptions based on the assumptions of assumptions?

CAPFlyer here is the thing, if you aren't the developer and are just filling up the thread with inflammatory comments towards users expressing valid concerns about a mod they LOVE and i think you are forgetting this the fact that these people most likely love this mod, then it really has no point in this thread. People have come here to express what they feel were vital features of a mod the LOVED and want to continue to use, same as those users saying "i wish it was more programming", that is just a user expressing a wish or a desire about a mod the LOVE, not whining about it. So lets just try to get this thread back on track shall we. We all have a right to disagree but lets not foul up this thread with that.

The problem is they aren't vaild concerns being voiced. They are statements being made (i.e. "I'm not using this because of the changes made to the flight computer that conflict with MechJeb"), and those statements are based on assumptions made from information that either doesn't exist or from information that has been put forth by other users whom have been complaining about things that are known bugs and are being put forth by those users as if they are intentional changes and not bugs.

If someone "loves" the program and they want it to be better, then don't come on this thread and say you're leaving because of something being changed. Either leave, or say "hey, I hear all this about the flight computer being changed, is it being changed?" instead of making demonstrative statements.

I have no problems with people bringing up concerns about existing functionality that they want preserved, but there is a way to say you support keeping a function versus saying "I'm gonna take my ball and go home unless you do it the way I want it," which is how it's being put forth by many of the users here.

Call it inflammatory if you want, I'm just tired of every 3rd or 4th post being someone complaining about woe is them because RT2 is in playtest and doesn't work perfectly and they're gonna take their ball and go home because of it.

They are statements being made (i.e. "I'm not using this because of the changes made to the flight computer that conflict with MechJeb"), and those statements are based on assumptions made

I'm going to have to correct you here and refer to an actual github post when a user asked about MJ and the response from a(one of) developer of this mod was "F&%$ MechJeb" so they aren't assumptions but it's fun you actually gave me a chance to point that out.

RemoteTech won't require anything of the sort. It gives players an option they didn't have before; to write programs for their probe that can be executed with remote instructions. Say you wanted to make your probe land in the previous version, and your signal delay is 10 minutes-- good luck landing anything when the controls take 10 minutes to respond to your input. In the new version, you can write a landing program that starts a deorbit burn, orients the craft away from the surface and starts a burn if the altitude is below a certain number, then extends the landing legs below a certain altitude, then switches off the engines.

Or, you might write a program that checks the battery power level, and if power level goes below a certain value, it executes an emergency procedure that turns off unnecessary equipment and extends solar panels. (At least, I hope that'll be possible!)

Basically, it gives you a lot of flexibility in controlling craft remotely. If you choose to to just deal with the signal delay and use full manual control, that's fine too.

Oh right, signal delay. Silly speed of light. Does anybody know if players will be given the option to toggle the delay and act as if transmissions are instant? I don't mind having delay, but I'm not to keen on trying to hand-program landing sequences, etc. It would be nice to have the option to use Mechjeb in conjunction with RT to plan maneuvers ahead of time while the spacecraft is in radio contact, though it seems the MJ + RT compatibility is a bit... contentious right now.

I'm a bit on the fence about whether or not I will use the mod once it's out of beta, but I'll keep my eye on it. I like the idea of having to build a communications network to use my probes, I'm just not too keen on having to figure out how to perform orbital maneuvers or land them with hand-written programs.

I'm just not too keen on having to figure out how to perform orbital maneuvers or land them with hand-written programs.

To each their own. Pre-programming a probe to launch/fly/land on the Mun sounds really exciting to me.

Anyway it sounds like you aren't using RemoteTech right, you can already use MechJeb to plan maneuvers and use RemoteTech to execute them. It just goes finicky when you try to let MechJeb fly everything on autopilot at long distances.