[0.20] RemoteTech: Relay Network – V 0.5.0.1

JDP

Per MrMoog's testing (see his post in the Mechjeb thread here) Mechjeb 1.9.1 is broken when it comes to multiple decoupled parts. Version 1.9 does work better but the WASD controls are reversed (also reversed in 1.9.1).

If you're using 1.9.1 Mechjeb with this remote plugin there can be big problems with decoupled debris. I am doing some testing on my own to duplicate MrMoogs work and see how it will impact my deploying a relay network. I'll report back if I find any workarounds.

[*] Nerfed RemoteCommand.

As prewarned, I’ve nerfed RemoteCommand to only work if the vessel has at least 5 crew members to man the controls of the command station. This number can however be changed in the config file to as low as 1. So you don't have to go and download the crewtank if you don't want to.

-JDP

Is it possible to get a version with the new improvements but no crew requirement?

Here is the vessel in question with probes attached:

[spoiler=screenshot63%20%282%29.png]

Completaly off topic, but what are those boxy sqare things on the probes? An wich mod are they from?

Edited by gabmaia

Is it possible to get a version with the new improvements but no crew requirement?

You can go to your KSP install directory, PluginData\remotetech\settings.cfg and change RemoteCommand Crew = 5 to RemoteCommand Crew = 1, with a text editor. That's the minimum for a command vessel as JDP said in his post. Your remote vessels don't have a crew requirement.

About engine + decoupler problem. If it is that code from MechJeb it kills the visual mesh, but doesn't kill the collider (altrough the comment says opposite). So you can get engine firing into a collider attached to it.

Probably it was discussed before but i can't find anything regardless of this problem

i have this satellite with Satellite Dish antenna and three Omnidirectional antennas

616980_331048236988833_5547507_o.jpg

when i select, in relay setting, Point at... the satellite is supposed to turn at the selected object?

Probably it was discussed before but i can't find anything regardless of this problem

i have this satellite with Satellite Dish antenna and three Omnidirectional antennas

616980_331048236988833_5547507_o.jpg

when i select, in relay setting, Point at... the satellite is supposed to turn at the selected object?

Sadly no. My parts aren't that fancy. It seems that you use a custom dish. Have you edited the config to make it RemoteTech?

Having the dishes physically pointing in a direction would require some PowerTech integration and parts that are a lot more complex.

(edit)

On closer inspection it looks like you have a RemoteCommand on your satellite. You really don't need that, you just need RemoteControl if you want it to be a remote controlled comsat. RemoteCommand is only for bigger command stations with crew to staff the station (by default 5 crew members are needed).

Edited by JDP

Curious. I've never had that happen in testing before (attitude control completely not working after decouple). The way I implement attitude control in debris is so simple that the only reason for it failing AFAIK is if the debris somehow thinks it's still attached to the main vessel.

If you would like to troubleshoot, you could try launching the same vessel that has the problem now, with just MechJeb modules and RemoteSAS, no antennae or signal processors at all.

If the problem stops showing itself it would indicate that there somehow is an interaction between MechJeb debris activation and RemoteTech activation.

I did as such and you were right, the problem stopped showing itself. Here's a link to my test craft file, if it's of any use to you. Made sure to stick to stock parts besides RemoteTech and MechJeb. Crashnburn sounds like he may be on to something there as well, I'll have to keep an eye on the thread.

First time linking form dropbox, sorry if I've messed it up.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b0lgdm2fhllcb9z/aktest1.craft

all the relay system is working properly with all your parts (i've only rescaled the two modules and the omnidirectional antenna by a factor of 0.8 because they was too big for the probodobodyne core :D)

anyway, thanks for the rapid response! :D

If your firewall is the problem I can't see why you can't disable it long enough to download?

if your firewall is properly configured, you should *never* have to do this just for a web download. bad advice bro

i mean i link like peyti or something that K9 protecton wont block? thats the problom my dad wont buge at least these websites kerbal space yard,and peyti ik my grammer is bad;.; plz i cant take it anymore! its not the firewall

Edited by darkwolfpaw54
forgot something

Here is v0.34, a small bugfix-update to 0.33. But with it comes something extra:

Changelog:

• fixed an annoying issue where "List Comsats" could lag the game under certain situations.
  • Beefed up the link strength of all RemoteTech parts except antennae. (thanks to CrashnBurn for suggesting this)
    They should not be nearly as wobbly any more and should wobble exactly as much as the stock 1m fuel tank.
  • Added two extra parts; Satellite Dish - Interplanetary class and Dipole Antenna. Both where awesomely made by rkman.
    The new dish has a range of 500 million km, enough to reach from Kerbol to the equivalent of the orbit of pluto. It is however also a lot bigger and weighs a lot more.
    The new antenna is purely aesthetic, it's a lot smaller and, I think, a cool realisticy adittion to the standard antenna.

With the new dish and sudden possibility of deep space missions, I've found that "with great distance come great bugs". Nothing big though. The only two bugs i saw was a renderdistance of the blue line that did not scale properly, causing the line to dissapear at great distances from the camera. I also saw a wierd bug where range calculations are completely ignored at very high time acceleration. They kick back in the moment you return to normal time though, so it doesn't affect gameplay.

Finding fixes for these minor issues will be a big challenge, and a whole new area of research in this project. I'm quite looking forward to that :D.

But probably the fixes will not be released until the next major update (Where a lot of extra features will be added and RT will finally go to 0.4).

-JDP

Sadly no. My parts aren't that fancy. It seems that you use a custom dish. Have you edited the config to make it RemoteTech?

Having the dishes physically pointing in a direction would require some PowerTech integration and parts that are a lot more complex.

Yeah I noticed that my satellites didn't rotate and was disappointed. :( But thats ok, still got it all to work out. :D

Been playing around with this for a couple hours and so far have a LKO network and a Kerbosynchronous network. I'm still trying to set up a Munar one but I'm not sure of my timing on that one.

[spoiler=pictures. :)]lst5Z.png

Hqiwh.png

Too bad I now see your new update with the bigger dish... I may have to put that into Kerbosynchronous as well... Great stuff! This is so much fun!

Seems to not be compatible with the latest Carts. I replaced the carts.dll but I lose the right-click contextual menu on the cart and it then falls through the earth. It acts like it doesn't exist.

EDIT: Seems using the Cart.dll that comes with carts v1.33 works fine, the one packed with yours doesn't :(

Edited by zuff

Seems to not be compatible with the latest Carts. I replaced the carts.dll but I lose the right-click contextual menu on the cart and it then falls through the earth. It acts like it doesn't exist.

That's because the modified cart plugin included in this plugin is 1.32, not 1.33. I didn't think that the parts included in Cart v1.33 would be incompatible with the previous version, though it does make a lot of sense in retrospekt. For now you'll have to chose between Cart v1.33 with partial support for RemoteTech (going forward/backward and right/left is delayed, everything else is not) or Cart v1.32 with full support.

Thank's for the heads up regarding part incompatability though. I'll add a notice about it in the OP.

That's because the modified cart plugin included in this plugin is 1.32, not 1.33. I didn't think that the parts included in Cart v1.33 would be incompatible with the previous version, though it does make a lot of sense in retrospekt. For now you'll have to chose between Cart v1.33 with partial support for RemoteTech (going forward/backward and right/left is delayed, everything else is not) or Cart v1.32 with full support.

Thank's for the heads up regarding part incompatability though. I'll add a notice about it in the OP.

Ah ok. Well I'm not a fan of the delay in the first place. So this works out great! :D

Ah ok. Well I'm not a fan of the delay in the first place. So this works out great! :D

If you really don't like delays but still like the other parts of RemoteTech, I would recommend that you go into the PluginData/remotetech folder, open the settings file in any text editor and setting the speed of light to a very high number. That way you won't have any noticable delay.

It's a cheaty thing to do, but if it makes the game more fun for you it's all good :D

Does the new dish cause more drag on one side? (The side with the antennae piece?) listing This rocket wasn't doing this before with the older style dish.

Edit: This could also be caused by the dish not properly snapping to a hard point. Is there a way to change that in the cfg?

Edited by Shortsonfire79

A very good idea, I actually tried something like that in the early days of writing the activation code. Sadly it didn't work. The vessel would cease to exist the moment i tried to fiddle with parent/child settings. Which i guess I should also have expected. Parent/child assigning is AFAIK only ever meant to be done in the VAB.

parent/child is assigned outward from the Command Pod (in a normal vessel the Command Pod would always be the topmost parent). So as long as you dont put your engine directly on a decoupler it should always work. the topmost parent in the Debris would be whatever part was attached to the decoupler.

I don't mean anything that fancy, just a "buffer" part so that the engine isn't the senior-most part in the debris.

can you have a erta link? k9 protectson isnt leting me can you do it on peyti or kerbal space yard ;.; i cant do it

peyti? Do you mean playeti? They're uploading mods to their site without permission and then they act like the mod makers did.

Is dropbox blocked for you too? If not, I could give you the file, PM me then.