[0.20] RemoteTech: Relay Network – V 0.5.0.1

JDP

I'm not keen on the idea of setting up remote stations ahead of my probes because it doesn't seem very thematic to send a manned mission first and then a robotic mission. It defeats the purpose of sending a low-cost unmanned mission first.

You don't have to. Say you launch a mission to Duna: have an orbiter with an interplanetary-class dish remain around Duna while the landing vehicle delivers a rover with a weak antenna. You can't control the rover whenever you want, for how long you want, but that's realistic. You should still have a window of several hours. If you want full convenience, you have to build a network, which seems fair, doesn't it?

Such a ship will act like a mission control if it has a RemoteCommand module. And this is noticable when you're flying some other craft that can receive a signal from it.

When you're flying the 3 manned ship itself, it will try to connect to some other command center, but where or not it succeeds it a non-issue because you have local control.

Maybe I'm missing something really dumb, but I don't see any Remote Command SPU in the RemoteTech 2 files. The only parts that I see are the antennae, microsat, and aeroprobe. I know that it's in the 0.5 version, but I can't get the Mk1-2 command pod to act as another control center version 2. I can see that module manager adds the "name = ModuleSPU" line to all of the probe cores, but nothing is being added to the command pods.

Is this something yet to be added, or am I just doing something wrong? I've seen the issue brought up a few times in this thread, but I've never really seen an answer, at least not one that made sense to me.

Maybe I'm missing something really dumb, but I don't see any Remote Command SPU in the RemoteTech 2 files....

Is this something yet to be added, or am I just doing something wrong? I've seen the issue brought up a few times in this thread, but I've never really seen an answer, at least not one that made sense to me.

Since stock KSP has an abundance of great looking probe bodies, they are all SPUs now, ModuleManager makes sure of that. Only one of the bodies have Remote Command functionality; the stock large stacking body. You can always see what type an SPU is by looking at the part information in the VAB/SPH.

And by the way. The crew requirement is currently 6 kerbals, not 3. This might be tweaked further in the future. But don't expect it to be lowered. It's become far to easy to cram a single ship full of kerbals, and with the advantages they provide, I'd want it to be a real challenge to set up command stations.

If I may ask, what are the differences between RT and RT2? Also, how buggy is it? I want to use it for my lets play of KSP and I am basically waiting for this to update... If .20 version works with .21 game version I will use it.

Thats the entire reason I'm asking about RT2 features and the amount of bugs in it to see if it is worth it or not.

The current version works fine for .21.1, and the new one is probably not ready for a lets play series where you want to keep playing in the same save for a longer period of time, as there will be bugs and new versions that might block you from updating to get rid of any bugs.

RT 1 is still awesome though, I use it in my LP :)

The current version works fine for .21.1

The RT functionality works, but it completely breaks SAS, making any ship that carries a probe core behave like the old pre-.21 SAS. Any rockets/ships built to work with the new SAS can (and often will) become nearly impossible to fly.

Okay, at least RT works with .21 that's good to hear, and know now as I've been waiting for about a week now on just RT lol.

Just be aware that most of the old RT1 parts are gone in RT2. So if you want to one day update to RT2, you will loose most of your vessels using RT1 parts, unless you manually re-add them with the correct RT2 modules in their config files. Or you use the current RT2 parts and modify their config files to use the old RT1 plugin.

Another thing. When RT2 finally goes live, I'd love to see it used in lets plays. It might get the word out about RemoteTech and serve as inspiration and explanation to players. So I'd love to feature a couple of lp's on the front page of this thread :)

Edited by JDP

Since stock KSP has an abundance of great looking probe bodies, they are all SPUs now, ModuleManager makes sure of that. Only one of the bodies have Remote Command functionality; the stock large stacking body. You can always see what type an SPU is by looking at the part information in the VAB/SPH.

And by the way. The crew requirement is currently 6 kerbals, not 3. This might be tweaked further in the future. But don't expect it to be lowered. It's become far to easy to cram a single ship full of kerbals, and with the advantages they provide, I'd want it to be a real challenge to set up command stations.

So the most recent version of RT2 that i just downloaded appears to work with MJ2, so that is pretty cool, i like the dish and antenna models, do all manned craft that use RT2 now require 6 kerbals?

Another thing. When RT2 finally goes live, I'd love to see it used in lets plays. It might get the word out about RemoteTech and serve as inspiration and explanation to players. So I'd love to feature a couple of lp's on the front page of this thread :)

I will probably do a new LP series when RT2 and Kethane 0.8 comes out :)

I'm kinda holding out for those two mods to update, as their current versions are central to the series.

Or you use the current RT2 parts and modify their config files to use the old RT1 plugin.

Ooh! That sounds like a good idea! I hadn't thought about that possibility... Has anyone tried this? How easy is it?

This would allow me to begin building a new RT2-compatible infrastructure now (and decommission my existing one), instead of sitting on my thumbs, unable to build anything until this comes out.

Third option: only use the stock antenna and dish, maybe modifying the unextended range of the stock antenna. Or just add a short-range antenna to the probe cores (a 50km antenna seems reasonable to me, for how much I've made probe cores cost!)

would this be possible:

In theory, I want to get my remote tech out in space. I already have kerbin, mun and minmus with probes orbiting sending signals.

Again, in theory...could I create a new prob with all new 2.0 parts and simply copy paste the .craft file from the new 2.0 .probe and past to the probe I want to replicate.

And, I only tried 2.0 the first day it came out, it was pretty wonky plus i didnt understand how all the satellites worked with my current setup. Has it come along since, and when will it be official?

would this be possible:

In theory, I want to get my remote tech out in space. I already have kerbin, mun and minmus with probes orbiting sending signals.

Again, in theory...could I create a new prob with all new 2.0 parts and simply copy paste the .craft file from the new 2.0 .probe and past to the probe I want to replicate.

And, I only tried 2.0 the first day it came out, it was pretty wonky plus i didnt understand how all the satellites worked with my current setup. Has it come along since, and when will it be official?

So you want a new save with new sats in the same orbits as your old sats? So you can pick up where you left off? or something else?

You don't have to. Say you launch a mission to Duna: have an orbiter with an interplanetary-class dish remain around Duna while the landing vehicle delivers a rover with a weak antenna. You can't control the rover whenever you want, for how long you want, but that's realistic. You should still have a window of several hours. If you want full convenience, you have to build a network, which seems fair, doesn't it?

True, but I don't think I explained what I want to get out of RT very well.

I like the idea of having to establish a communications network to operate my probes, but I don't want to deal with realistic delay, which would require programming or sending a manned mission first. I'm not interested in the first option because I'm not into the idea of programming my missions it's a little more work/trial and error than I want to deal with while playing. I don't want to do the second because it doesn't fit within the theme of the way I want to play, i.e. send cheap unmanned missions first, followed by longer manned missions.

That's why I am favoring the suggestion to raise the 'speed of light' transmission speed so I can have instant communication with my probes, no matter how far away they are. Assuming I have the proper network setup, of course, which is the part I am interested in. Less realistic, yes, but it imposes only the limitations I'm interested in setting on myself.

csiler2, Good thing all it takes is opening RT settings and changing it then :)

ebaydan777, all you really need to do is copy the modules over. And add whatever's needed so the dishes connect, if you're out of antenna range.

In fact, just replacing the craft without doing that latter part will leave the craft RT2 compliant but still disconnected.

Could someone write up a guide for how to get to orbit in RemoteTech 2? The default 1s delay even on the ground combined with the lack of the old "MechJeb Control" option make it quite difficult for me.

EDIT: More specifically, is there a way to queue a thing to happen at a certain time, like wit the old flight computer?

Could someone write up a guide for how to get to orbit in RemoteTech 2? The default 1s delay even on the ground combined with the lack of the old "MechJeb Control" option make it quite difficult for me.

EDIT: More specifically, is there a way to queue a thing to happen at a certain time, like wit the old flight computer?

The trick is to only give small inputs, don't make any sudden moves. You'll get up there.

And if that is not enough help, right-click the probe, and click "Toggle debug delay". It'll get rid of the 1 second delay, and leaves only the real delay.

Indeed there is. In RT2 you can input a custom delay by typing it in the lover-right corner field of the queue window of the flight computer.

Regarding getting into orbit, you're going to have to use the flight computer pretty extensively.

Here's a guide I made, showcasing the CAPFLYER method of attaining orbit. It's made in RT1, but the method would stay the same in RT2, just note that maneuver node integration is yet to be added in RT2:

ADDIT: That is Great JDP, thanks!

So I gather that right now, RT and MJ can't work together to allow MJ to execute actions while a vehicle is out of RT contact?

Anyway, not a problem as one can clearly use the RT Flight Computer to get it done. Thanks for showing us how!

Indeed there is. In RT2 you can input a custom delay by typing it in the lover-right corner field of the queue window of the flight computer.

Regarding getting into orbit, you're going to have to use the flight computer pretty extensively.

Here's a guide I made, showcasing the CAPFLYER method of attaining orbit. It's made in RT1, but the method would stay the same in RT2, just note that maneuver node integration is yet to be added in RT2:

Ah, I'm having the same problem (I think) so I'll have to check this out.

Edited by Diche Bach