Damion Plays KSP!

RayneCloud

Great vid. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

A quick note:

You had 3 full tanks of RCS fuel left in that satellite, you could have easily reached your desired orbit position even after the main stack ran out.

Would you mind also linking to the mods you're using? I have most of them but I'm sure others would like to know where to find mechjeb and the like.

Damion Plays KSP!

ORLY o_O ??? I thought he did not :cool:

(Kiddin, just kiddin... :o)

And seriously -- Damion, why such heavy ship in S1E2? In v0.16 you can get a payload to Minmus and back with just 2 fuel tanks, 2 engines and 8 solids...

Probably I'll make a vid about it some time later.

ORLY o_O ??? I thought he did not :cool:

(Kiddin, just kiddin... :o)

And seriously -- Damion, why such heavy ship in S1E2? In v0.16 you can get a payload to Minmus and back with just 2 fuel tanks, 2 engines and 8 solids...

Probably I'll make a vid about it some time later.

Tiny ships are for babbies!

Nobody wants to fly tiny ship!

Honestly, I don't know what kind of payloads Damion's put into orbit, but ever since I started using more and more mods and building massive space stations and lander habitation module things that are pretty much nothing but dead weight, I have a hard time making a small ship because it's just too damn easy to pilot. At least if I have something massive then there's that brief tense moment after establishing my Kerbin AP. It's a delicate dance between barely thrusting to give myself enough to turn (I hardly use RCS and SAS anymore), maintaining the correct degree of attack, time, and not raising my AP any more than I want to.

Tiny ships are for doing job :P. When I need to perform 10 or 20 flights to the Mun to test some top-secret equipment, I just don't want much problems. And don't want my computer to lag)))

Nobody wants to fly tiny ship!

Its not hard to make a big rocket fly, it just needs to be big enough its just not a chalange..

Try making a craft as small as possible.. make it efichent, have it just enough to do it and... its easy doing something when you have 1000l of fuel..

Try and make the same thing with just 100l..

Also the smaller the craft Efective,cheepre and more agile it is that a big craft.. therefore better in every way..

having a inefficient rocket its not always a bad thing spashley when it from someone official. simple and efficient rocket in the video just kills the fun of werking it out yourselve. that and watching stuff blow up or go wrong is a lot of fun.

Its not hard to make a big rocket fly, it just needs to be big enough its just not a chalange..

Try making a craft as small as possible.. make it efichent, have it just enough to do it and... its easy doing something when you have 1000l of fuel..

Try and make the same thing with just 100l..

Also the smaller the craft Efective,cheepre and more agile it is that a big craft.. therefore better in every way..

I've already done the whole tiny craft thing - those were the first kinds of rockets that I built. After I sat down and learning to do things properly (like optimizing my gravity turns, injection phases, etc.) and understood why I was doing them , efficient design became pretty boring and monotonous. After venturing into mods (because the design capabilities for stock parts plateaus pretty quickly) I started making pretty big space stations and habitation capsules to land on the moons. It's quite more challenging to pilot a giant craft with 20 KMU's of dead weight strapped to the top of it (not counting the weight of the engines and fuel powering the thing) when you neglect to add RCS to it because RCS just makes things too easy. I design them to get into final descent stage not using any of the on board fuel as a bit of an additional challenge.

Tiny, efficient rockets and landers are boring for me now. I just continue to make things more and more complex and more difficult to pilot and land because its the only thing challenging anymore. My next little self-made challenge is a craft that can get to and return from the Mun using nothing but SRBs (from mods as well as stock) and then the same thing to Minmus, a massive rover/mobile base powered by the Katerpillar wheels and constructed with Kosmos parts, and fixing up my drop pod design so it uses more SRBs and feels more automated. I've gotten to the point where as long as it has enough fuel, I can pretty much pilot anything, big or small, into space, landing, and return, so the only way for me to make the game more difficult is to strap on more dead weight, make it less manageable to control, and make it more complex.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.