Kerbal Express Airlines - Regional Jet Challenge

7 minutes ago, StupidAndy said:

do you plan on after this to open it again? because it looks like a REALLY good challenge

Not currently, but anyone is welcome to copy the rules and host their own :)

MinMax Spectre 200/300

Optimized for cutting-edge cost reduction, while meeting minimum requirements.

This as an example of an aircraft that would score very highly in this challenge.

GtnBorn.jpg

Edited by keptin

I've just discovered a huge error in the configuration of the KT6A engine.

Max speed is capped at Mach 0.47. The Piaggio Avanti has a top speed of Mach 0.6 using the real world engine. Goodbye realism.

There is no difference in fuel consumption between 130 and 163m/s.

There is also no difference in fuel consumption between 1 or 2 engines, at max speed.

Very unimpressed by these figures, I'll try another engine. If it also has these magical performance figures, I'll drop the turboprop altogether and go back to stock parts, a jet engine entry.

If I sound annoyed, I am. Just wasted many hours trying to figure out what's wrong with that thing.

Edited by Azimech

One More Booster Co. Presents their 2nd generation of medium regional jets

The S2-72b!

fJvgfTe.png

After receiving feedback that fuel efficiency was in fact a very important factor to our customers, we have come to the realization that spaceplane parts would not work out.

Weighing under 17t and only 19 seperate parts the S2-72b is both extremely fuel economic and easy maintenance. And if you happen to like pitch authority you will love 
this bird as it has it FOR DAYS! 

• passenger seats: 72
  • Crew: 2 
  • 19 parts
  • Range: ~2000 km
  • Cruising Speed: 240 m/s
  • Cruising Altitude: 11000 m
  • Takeoff/landing speed: 45 m/s
  • Prize: 48,335,000 

It only takes about 6:30 min to reach cruising speed and altitude making it great for medium flights. In its current configuration the tanks are not full, so range can easily 
be extended if necessary. 

Kerbalx page: https://kerbalx.com/Rosvall/S2-72b

Download link: https://kerbalx.com/download/craft/30872

5 hours ago, Vinhero100 said:

but as of now its still going on right? I'm about to finish the design of my plane. Just gotta transfer it over to 1.3

@Vinhero100, PM me the 1.2.2 craft. I'll see if I can get it working with 1.3.

It's really when I can get to them over the next week. I honestly didn't think the challenge would be this popular, so it's going to take a bit longer to go through all the submissions.

77 Industries: Kira 32SE and Kira 32SERT

My entry, small jet.

Company: 77 Industries.
Model: Kira 32SE.
Variant: Kira 32SERT (Rough Terrain), two extra wheels on the wingtips.
Fuel Units: 540 (2700kg).
Range: 2200km (500 fuel, Mach 0.85, 7000m, 0.06 fuel flow).
Special abilities: STOL, configurable landing gear.
Mass tanks full: 12.434t (RT: 12.464t).
Max speed: Mach 0.98.
Take off speed: 38m/s.
Landing speed: 35m/s (throttle at 26%, tanks full); 32m/s (throttle at 23%, 10% fuel). 
Price: 24,251,000 (RT: 24,551,000)
Parts: 51 (RT:53)
Parts type: stock.
KSP version: 1.3.

The Kira has the advantage of ease of control, never failing you and impossible to stall. Pilots may choose to take off and land with either a tricycle or taildragger configuration, or both if they're nervous or expect a rough landing. This technologically advanced plane has its price and needs more maintenance than others in their class. This is offset by its low fuel consumption and excellent safety features. Also reducing running costs is its ability to STOL, burning less fuel during take off and having less wear on the brakes after touchdown. Another advantage is the fact this plane uses no custom made parts but proven, reliable technology. All flight test were done without SAS except economy tests during which Pilot Assistant was used.

Take off: Choose take off configuration, (AG9) toggles taildragger, (AG0) toggles tricycle (double tap first time). Toggle flaps, start engine and go full power. Do not switch on SAS and do not touch the controls! When it's in the air, let it pitch up to 45 degrees, then retract flaps. It will gently pitch down until just above the horizon. After that, the pilot takes control of the yoke.

Normal flight: center of mass shift is negligible during fuel burn. The plane has a tendency to pitch up at high speeds and low altitude. If flying without SAS, trim needs to be used. Never extend the flaps at speeds higher than 50m/s! You and your passengers are not wearing G-suits!

Landing: Advice is to land in taildragger configuration, to reduce the risk of tailstrike. Max pitch during landing in tricyle mode: 5 degrees.
Best way to slow down for landing is to lower both landing gear sets and/or to use the thrust reverser (AG3). After speed has dropped below 45m/s, the flaps can be extended. Landing without SAS is suggested, for improved feedback.

Emergency landing (engine failure or fuel starvation): lower both landing gear sets (mandatory!), extend flaps. Try to maintain at least 37m/s during descent. Just above the ground, pull on the stick.

Links:
Kira 32SE
Kira 32SERT

Edited by Azimech

14 minutes ago, Vinhero100 said:

the craft is on KerbalX, If you can get It working I'll post it here. Thanks!

You changed the version number, it says 1.3. It should be 1.3.0. It works now.
When building something in 1.2.2, you don't need to change the version number when loading it in 1.3. That's only the case when your craft is built in 1.3 and you want it running in 1.2.2.

3 minutes ago, scottadges said:

Not sure if this has been asked/answered already. Have you thought about making this an ongoing/persistent challenge?

10 hours ago, keptin said:

Not currently, but anyone is welcome to copy the rules and host their own :)

Already addressed.

11 hours ago, Azimech said:

You changed the version number, it says 1.3. It should be 1.3.0. It works now.
When building something in 1.2.2, you don't need to change the version number when loading it in 1.3. That's only the case when your craft is built in 1.3 and you want it running in 1.2.2.

I changed it, because at the time I didn't know that changing the version wouldn't work.

Edit: Thanks @Azimech, It worked! Is it too late to post it here?  I have 2 hours left!

Edited by Vinhero100

13 minutes ago, Vinhero100 said:

I changed it, because at the time I didn't know that changing the version wouldn't work.

Edit: Thanks @Azimech, It worked! Is it too late to post it here?

Since you made it and stated you wanted  post it before the deadline,  I would just post it.

77 Industries: Kalyani 80SERT

SJfdafH.png

My second entry, medium jet.

Company: 77 Industries.
Model: Kalyani 80SERT.
Fuel Units: 1100 (5500kg).
Seats: 80.
Range: 1850km (1050 fuel, Mach 0.85, 7000m, 0.15 fuel flow).
Special abilities: STOL, configurable landing gear.
Mass tanks full: 26.025t.
Max speed: Mach 1.07.
Take off speed: 52m/s.
Landing speed: To be determined.
Price: 34,520,000
Parts: 79.
Parts type: stock.
KSP version: 1.3.

The Kalyani can be seen as the big sister of the Kira, most advantages and disadvantages apply. Thanks to its rugged landing gear and STOL capabilities, it enables lesser developed regions to boost their economy without having to invest in expensive facilities like airfields. While there are more parts to maintain than the competition, it's all off-the-shelf proven technology which means the average mechanic doesn't have to be certified for custom parts, lowering costs on the other end. It also means replacement parts can be found anywhere, even lying by the side of the road.

Take off: Choose take off configuration, (AG9) toggles taildragger, (AG0) toggles tricycle (double tap first time). Toggle flaps, start engines and go full power. Do not switch on SAS and do not touch the controls! When it's in the air, let it pitch up to 30 degrees, then retract flaps and take control.

Normal flight: center of mass shift is negligible during fuel burn. Unlike the Kira, Kalyani has no tendency to pitch up, to improve fuel consumption. If flying without SAS, trim needs to be used. Never extend the flaps at speeds higher than 60m/s! You and your passengers are not wearing G-suits!

Landing: Advice is to land in taildragger configuration. Max pitch during landing in tricyle mode: 8 degrees.
Best way to slow down for landing is to lower both landing gear sets and/or to use the thrust reverser (AG3). After speed has dropped below 55m/s, the flaps can be extended. Landing without SAS is suggested, for improved feedback.

Emergency landing (engine failure or fuel starvation): lower both landing gear sets (mandatory!), extend flaps. Try to maintain at least 57m/s during descent. Just above the ground, pull on the stick.

Link:
Kalyani 80SERT

Edited by Azimech

Test Pilot Review: Kramer. - 150-100 Baltimore

5jI8KOG.jpg

Figures as tested:

• $116,033,000
  • Fuel: 3160/3160 kal
  • Cruising speed: 243 m/s
  • Cruising altitude: 3500m
  • Fuel burn rate: 0.43 kal/s
  • Range: 1785 km
  • Mass: 51.045t

Review Notes: The Kramer 150-100 Baltimore is a sort of an odd duck in our reviewed medium-haul aircraft submissions. Most notably, it's a turboprop, using soviet-era contra-rotating engines. These old designs are notoriously noisy, reducing passenger comfort, and limiting airport availability due to noise regulations. More notably, they're inefficient. We found the Baltimore's fuel burn at the rated cruising altitude to be almost three times the competition, at 0.43 kal/s, making it costly to run. And with four turboprop engines, maintenance would be higher still. At 96 passengers, it's quite larger than most other offerings, meaning it would be unfilled on our less busy routes, leading to additional profit loss. The final nail in the coffin is the price. At $116,033,000, it's twice the price of the competition's medium-haul offerings.

Our verdict: The Kramer 150-100 is not what we're looking for in a medium-haul jet aircraft. It under performs on all accounts, and is nearly twice the price of competing aircraft.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.