[1.4-1.7] BetterLoadSaveGame 2.4

jefftimlin

An addon for Kerbal Space Program designed to improve the user interface for loading save games.

I was always frustrated with the in-game GUI for loading saved games, as it lists them in alphabetical order making it really hard to find the save you want when there's lots in the list. It also gets really slow to open once you have a lot of saves.

This mod attempts to fix that by:

• Listing the saves by creation time (descending)
  • Including thumbnail screenshots

Looks like this:

screenshot

Installation

Available for install via CKAN.

Alternatively, download the latest release and extract the contents of the GameData folder into the GameData folder inside your KSP install.

Usage

Press F7 in game to toggle the window on/off, and click on the buttons to load games.

Note for best screenshot quality, ensure "Texture Quality" is set to "Full Res" in your game options (under "Graphics").

Recommended mods

Highly recommend also using a mod like Dated Quick Saves or Kerbal Improved Save System to address my other favourite problem in the game of only having one quicksave slot when you press F5.

Current state

Currently has basic features including screenshots, summary info, sorting and filtering.

I'm keen to make further improvements to it. If you have any ideas for new features or improvements, or if you find any bugs, please let me know!

In particular I'm not aware of any way to replace the official "Load Game" feature in the game menu, which is why you need to press a key (F7) to open the new dialog. If you have any idea how to fix this, please let me know.

Change log

• Rebuilt for KSP 1.7 (also tested working with 1.4, 1.5, 1.6)
  • Improved error checking when resizing screenshots (thanks linuxgurugamer)

• Fixed a bug where loading games that were saved at the space center would just load the "persistent" save instead.

• Fixed duplicate named saves appearing in the list
  • Fixed missing screenshots when multiple saves made at the same time

• Fix scroll position not being reset when showing window

• Major rewrite to improve performance. Now opens and scrolls much faster, and uses less space on disk for screenshots.

• Rebuilt for KSP 1.4.1

• Reduced lag when loading screenshots while scrolling
  • Reset scroll position when showing window
  • Fix screenshots not being displayed when filtering
  • Fix broken funds display when loadmeta file missing

• Increased screenshot and window size
  • Reduced memory usage
  • New placeholder image

• Added KSP 1.3 support

• Initial release

Download: https://github.com/jefftimlin/BetterLoadSaveGame/releases

License: MIT

Edited by jefftimlin
Released 2.4

Great idea!  

Did you know that Mod-F5 allows manual input of save name in stock? But I do like to use Save mods that help to customize the save name automatically. If you are interested, it kinda feels like this mods scope could be increased to aid saving as well.

6 hours ago, JedTech said:

Great idea!  

Did you know that Mod-F5 allows manual input of save name in stock? But I do like to use Save mods that help to customize the save name automatically. If you are interested, it kinda feels like this mods scope could be increased to aid saving as well.

Yep I often use that feature to specify names for important saves - in fact it was all that would help me find them before sometimes :) But yeah my mod should work with existing Save mods - I personally use Dated Quick Saves, which I find that now just pressing F5 and having the screenshots in the load list is enough in most cases. I'm not sure about adding that sort of functionality in my mod too though, as I'd just be repeating others work which already seems to work just fine.

7 hours ago, jefftimlin said:

Yep I often use that feature to specify names for important saves - in fact it was all that would help me find them before sometimes :) But yeah my mod should work with existing Save mods - I personally use Dated Quick Saves, which I find that now just pressing F5 and having the screenshots in the load list is enough in most cases. I'm not sure about adding that sort of functionality in my mod too though, as I'd just be repeating others work which already seems to work just fine.

Your mod is beautiful as is! Where are you saving the images? Are they just small thumbnails or are they entire screenshots?

2 hours ago, JedTech said:

Your mod is beautiful as is! Where are you saving the images? Are they just small thumbnails or are they entire screenshots?

They're saved in the same folder as the save games themselves. Currently they're full size screenshots on disk, but I might change them to be just thumbnails to save disk space.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, scottadges said:

Has anyone else gotten this to work? I've downloaded and installed where it should go, but I don't see any changes to the Load/Save window. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

It doesn't change the regular load/save window, you have to press F7 to bring up my window. I'm not sure how or even if I can change the real one.

I'm also working on a new version of this mod at the moment to improve performance and other things.

Released v2.0

Changes:

• Major rewrite to improve performance. Now opens and scrolls much faster, and uses less space on disk for screenshots.

As always, if you have any ideas for changes, features, or find any problems, please let me know and I'll be happy to update it :)

• 2 weeks later...

@jefftimlin I've noticed some issues with your mod. I have reloaded a quicksave and noticed that it doesn't place me at the right save time. Everything looks good in terms of craft and orbit but the timing is off. It's almost as if it loaded the persistant save. In another case, I made a save, spent some science and purchased parts to explore what direction to take next. I reloaded the save expecting for all the purchases to revert but they were still purchased.

In both cases, after loading the saves through the stock pause menu, they loaded as expected. The quicksave timing was correct and in the other case, the science purchases were back to where they were.

I'm not sure if there is a conflict with another mod. Let me know what additional info you would like.

Has anyone else experienced this? Did I fat finger the tiles? 

@KraterKreator thanks for the bug report and sorry it's not working for you. I've just tried out the issue with spending science and reloading the game, and I see the problem happening as well. I haven't yet been able to reproduce the issue with it not going to the right save time, though it might be the same underlying problem. I'll continue to investigate.

Edit: Actually I can reproduce the save time issue as well. It looks like its broken when you load any game which was saved while at the space center. It just seems to load the persistent save somehow instead.

Edited by jefftimlin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.