Tips for a successful colonization/base-building save?

I am considering starting a colonization/base-building save.  This would be a new game folder with its own mods starting with the full tech-tree unlocked but a limited amount of funds too keep things interesting.  The objective would be to established manned bases with 10+ Kerbals on each of the land-able bodies in the stock Kerbol system.  Core mods would be:

for the base modules,

for constructing bases on-site, and most likely

or similar for roving around once at the base.  I would also use KAS/KIS and some form of life support mod.  I'm debating between Kerbalism and TAC-LS.  Kerbalism sounds cool because it has resource use in background, and minimum housing space/comfort requirements, but I'm nervous because a lot of things seem to break when using it from what I've heard.  TAC-LS would be a simpler system and not as likely to break other things but wouldn't be as realistic from a living space perspective.

So now to the questions:

1. Has anyone tried something similar, and if so, how did it turn out?
  2. Does Kerbalism play nice with Kerbal Planetary Base Systems and long-term surface habitation?
  3. Is using life-support do-able with multiple colonies with or without in-situ life-support production?
  4. Am I insane for wanting to try this?

how about this one?

Abuse of reusable specialized vessels like Kerbin<->[celeestial body] transfer vehicle and [celestial body] lander and return to orbit with freigther and passenger versions for each.

BTW: AYBABTU!

On 6/28/2017 at 3:44 PM, Spricigo said:

how about this one?

Abuse of reusable specialized vessels like Kerbin<->[celeestial body] transfer vehicle and [celestial body] lander and return to orbit with freigther and passenger versions for each.

BTW: AYBABTU!

I have Konstruction on the list.  I don't know what AYBABTU means.

9 minutes ago, captainb said:

I have Konstruction on the list.  I don't know what AYBABTU means.

I think I was temporally blind or something. While AYABABTU is just a nerd reference for something that really don't matter anyway.

On 28/06/2017 at 3:32 PM, captainb said:

Is using life-support do-able with multiple colonies with or without in-situ life-support production?

It adds a lot of management, either because constant resupply missions or production supervision. But people have done it before and liked. Maybe look at the mission reports subforum  if there is some about a similar endeavour.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.