Land the interplanetary transport system booster back on the pad

Elon Musk said that he will land first stage of the ITS back on the rocket holder (don't know what it is called) and that is what this challenge is.

Show that it is POSSIBLE.

Design a ITS-like rocket that can have the first stage land on the pad

Level one: land the booster back at ksc. Score is 100times(Launch mass/distance to the pad)/dv used to land.

Level two: land the booster back on the pad. Score will be Score will 20Launch mass/Dv used to land.

Level three: land the booster back on the launch holder (Dock with the launch holder using engines). Score will be 30 times Launch mass divided by Dv used to land. Docking ports are recomended for the launch holder.

Dv will be measured in m/s in a vacuum, distances in meters and launch mass in tonnes.

Rules

1. No f12 menu, hyper edit, cheating, or exploiting glitches.

2. You can use the landing guidance in Mechjeb as an informational tool, but not the autopilot.

3. The only three part adding/changing mods allowed kerbal reusabitity expansion, any life support mod, and deep freeze.

4. Must have at least 100% re-entry heating, plasma blackout, kerbnet enabled, have it so the signal is required for control, and must have no partial control allowed.

5. Must have no kerbals on the booster.

6. FAR, FMRS, and deadly re-entry are allowed

7. NO PARACHUTES

8. NO DROPTANKS/ASPARAGUS. Must be Two stages.

9. Modded. Only mods that don't offer a signifigant advantages over stock are allowed. If it adds fuel tanks with a better full to empty mass ration than stock, it is not allowed.

Prohibited;

Procedural parts and near future propulsion. Obviously, no using the ITS mod (It is WAY overpowerd).

Tweakscale can be used if it is not abused.

Spoiler

Examples of allowed uses of tweakscale are; scaling landing legs, scaling rcs thrusters, scaling structural parts, scaling batteries, scaling airbrakes, etc.

Not allowed examples; scaling up fuel tanks, scaling up reaction wheels (this is to encourage the use of rcs, because rcs is used on the real ITS), scaling up something for the purpose of adding extra mass to get a higher score.

Spoiler

KSP Interstellar
OSE Workshop
Impossible Innovations
Solaris Hypernautics
Deep Space Exploration Vessels
Any Orion nuclear pulsed propulsion
Any warp drive or propellant-less space engine
Any physics alteration that makes the challenge easier (reducing gravity, moving the moons, HyperEdit, or debug menu cheats)

(Copied and modified from the jool5 page)

Bonus points

Second stage goes into orbit

+1

Second stage lands back at kcs

+1

Second stage lands on launch pad

+2

Booster can refuel

+.1

Multiply final scor by ten

Documentation

Have informational tabs and Dv stats open (Mechjeb, not KER for dv) Keeping the landing guidance tab open with the information tab is highly recomended

Video is great.

If you take pictures, use an imgur album; when to take pictures;

Pre launch (on the pad). Gravity turn. Stage seperation. EVERY BURN. Re-entry Take plenty of pictures in during landing for level three and two. Refeuling (If done).

Leaderboard;

Stock;

Modded;

My exemple entry on level one. Score=1000*266.924t/75.2m/1995m/s+1=1.178

Edited by zeta function

I'm curious as to why you have disallowed Deep Freeze and life support mods, they don't effect this challenge in any way and therefore banning them is a needless restriction on possible payloads.  Also, allowing balanced part mods in a separate category is nice for mod users.

Edited by Thor Wotansen

21 minutes ago, Thor Wotansen said:

I'm curious as to why you have disallowed Deep Freeze and life support mods, they don't effect this challenge in any way and therefore banning them is a needless restriction on possible payloads.  Also, allowing balanced part mods in a separate category is nice for mod users.

They are allowed, I mean that those are the three part adding/changing allowed. I should make that more clear. I will add a mod catagorey.

7 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Okay, that's what I was trying to figure out.

Tweakscale is pretty balanced; it should really be allowed. At least have a mod/no-mod leaderboard. 

The problem with tweakscale is that you could just scale up the entire rocket to make it heavier. That would give you an easy high score. (Or redo the scoring system completely.)

3 hours ago, zeta function said:

The problem with tweakscale is that you could just scale up the entire rocket to make it heavier. That would give you an easy high score. (Or redo the scoring system completely.)

Then I'll submit an unscored version. 

EDIT: Or you can just ask people to avoid abusing TweakScale.

Edited by sevenperforce

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.