[1.9–⁠1.12] SmartTank v0.5.0

HebaruSan

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, N3N said:

@HebaruSan: Nice mod, good Work! :wink:

Does it still work with KSP 1.3.1 ?

Because in CKAN it's marked as incompatible.

It depends on ProceduralParts, which is not updated for 1.3.1. Once there's an update for that, I will check SmartTank and update if needed.

It seems to be working fine for me in 1.3.1. :-) The only weirdness I've encountered seem to be issues in ProceduralParts itself (that's not to say that I've given it a thorough testing, I've only built a couple of lifters with it.)

Good news, there's a new ProceduralParts fork updated for 1.3.1, which is on CKAN as of today. I tried installing it and SmartTank 0.1.2 on KSP 1.4.0, and it looked like everything was working.

Rather than releasing a new version just to adjust the compatibility, and because I want to take this opportunity to test something with CKAN, I've updated the .version file in the current download to indicate compatibility with game versions 1.3.0 through 1.4.8. This previously would have thrown CKAN for a loop, but if our recent fixes work, it should be able to download the updated version and update the version requirements. However, please note that until the bot does that, CKAN will give you installation errors due to the download being updated.

tl;dr: CKAN will probably have SmartTank for KSP 1.3.1 in a few hours, and for KSP 1.4.0 once ProceduralParts supports it.

• 3 weeks later...

How about this one?

It works, but SmartTank seems not to work, in VAB it always shows a totally wrong TWR when set to auto (like SmartTank says "TWR 1.3" for the PP tank but the KER readout as well as MJ readout say "TWR 7.4" or worse).
But perhaps this is a PP isue and not a SmartTank issue.

2 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

It works, but SmartTank seems not to work, in VAB it always shows a totally wrong TWR when set to auto (like SmartTank says "TWR 1.3" for the PP tank but the KER readout as well as MJ readout say "TWR 7.4" or worse).
But perhaps this is a PP isue and not a SmartTank issue.

Impossible to say what's going on from this description. It might be a bug in either mod or in stock, or it might all be working fine, with one mod working with atmospheric TWR and the other not.

2 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

It's not that one mod shows atmospheric TWR and the other not, the numbers totally differ ...

Or it could have nothing whatsoever to do with SmartTank. As I said, impossible to say from the tiny amount of information given.

Sometimes it's not that easy to find proper information, I don't see exceptions thrown or errors in the logs and still it does not work or behave weird.

But then, in the next session, i found this:

Actually I decided to remove PP and SmartTank, sorry.

1 minute ago, Gordon Dry said:

Sometimes it's not that easy to find proper information, I don't see exceptions thrown or errors in the logs and still it does not work or behave weird.

But then, in the next session, i found this:

Actually I decided to remove PP and SmartTank, sorry.

Oh right, you're the guy who likes to post random errors on unrelated mod threads. Sorry, I forgot. Good luck!

14 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

Well, it's in the Kerbalism thread, but the error I posted says "ProceduralParts" several times and also "Kerbalism" one time, if you didn't read that ...

And yet here you are on the SmartTank thread! Sigh...

• 4 months later...

Hey guys

when I start the game with Smarttanks v0.1.2, I loose all my stock Decoupler and Seperator! Deleted and reinstalled ksp and all mods!

Then I reduced the total mod count. Then I went through every Mod and so I extrapolated the failure to this mod.

The missing parts:

Spoiler
TD-06.png
TD-06 Decoupler              
TD-12.png
TD-12 Decoupler              
TD-25.png
TD-25 Decoupler              
TD-37.png
TD-37 Decoupler              
TS-06.png
TS-06 Stack Separator              
TS-12.png
TS-12 Stack Separator              
TS-25.png
TS-25 Stack Separator              
TS-37.png
TS-37 Stack Separator

The mod list and KSP Version provided by AVC:

Spoiler

KSP: 1.4.5 (Win64) - Unity: 2017.1.3p1 - OS: Windows 10  (10.0.0) 64bit
ClickThroughBlocker - 0.1.6.7
TexturesUnlimited - 1.1.2.14
Toolbar - 1.7.17.11
ToolbarControl - 0.1.6.13
Adjustable Mod Panel - 1.5
Astronomer's Visual Pack - 3.7.2
Chatterer Extended - 0.6.2
Chatterer - 0.9.95.2110
Contract Configurator - 1.25
Contract Pack: RemoteTech - 2.1.4
DecouplerShroud - 0.5
AGExt - 2.3.3.6
DistantObjectEnhancement - 1.9.1
EditorExtensionsRedux - 3.3.19.5
Environmental Visual Enhancements - 1.4.2.2
Ferram Aerospace Research - 0.15.9.3
FMRS (Flight Manager For Reusable Stages) - 1.2.7.2
FuseBoxContinued - 0.1.16.5
HideEmptyTechTreeNodes - 1.0.4
JanitorsCloset - 0.3.4.1
Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.1.5.3
KerbalKonstructs - 1.4.5
KerbinSide-Complete - 1.4.5
<b><color=#CA7B3C>Kopernicus</color></b> - 1.4.5.2
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.2.0.2
LoadingScreenManager - 1.2.5
Modular Rocket Systems - 1.13.2
ModularFlightIntegrator - 1.2.5
Docking Port Alignment Indicator - 6.8.2
PlanetShine - 0.2.6.1
Precise Maneuver - 2.4.1
Procedural Parts - 1.3.15
Recovery Controller - 0.0.3.2
RemoteTech - 1.8.12
SmartTank - 0.1.2
TextureReplacer - 3.2
Trajectories - 2.2.1
Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.9.1
Transfer Window Planner - 1.6.3
TweakScale - 2.3.12
Waypoint Manager - 2.7.2
[x] Science! - 5.16

The KSP log file: output-log.txt

Screenshot

Edited by Trigant
providing screenshot

22 minutes ago, Trigant said:

when I start the game with Smarttanks v0.1.2, I loose all my stock Decoupler and Seperator! Deleted and reinstalled ksp and all mods!

Yes, this is a feature of SmartTank. There's a "Hide non-procedural parts" option in the settings to control it.

• 4 months later...
On 7/1/2017 at 2:56 AM, HebaruSan said:

Tentative announcement regarding SmartTank on KSP 1.6:

To get the thrust and mass values of stages, this mod bundles the vessel simulator from KER. This was done by copying the code files, so any upstream changes aren't included unless the files are re-copied, which they haven't been. That code is by now fairly old, with some important stock features (like engine plates) having been introduced subsequently.

Now that stock has a built-in VAB delta V calculator (!!), it ought to be possible to make this mod work without any KER code. This would bring immediate benefits in areas where the stock calculator is more up to date (such as engine plates), plus future improvements to the stock delta V calculator "for free."

I'm planning a new release for KSP 1.6+ with that goal in mind. I haven't looked at the code yet, so I don't know how long it might take or even whether it's definitely possible, but that's what I have in mind. As always any feedback is welcome.

SmartTank v0.2.0 is released!

This version uses the new stock delta V calculator, and as such requires KSP 1.6 or later. All KER code is removed, which cuts the size of the code, DLL, and download substantially. Otherwise the functionality should be about the same as before.

https://github.com/HebaruSan/SmartTank/releases/tag/v0.2.0

Edited by HebaruSan

• 1 month later...

@HebaruSan

I had a problem reported to me about my Fill It Up mod, which allows a player to play with tank levels in the editor to adjust the balance of planes.  It doesn't  work with this mod, possibly because there aren't any resources in the tank while in the editor.

The mod does see that the type of resources the tank can hold, it just can't adjust them

I see this as a bigger problem than just my mod, for example, i can see someone wanting to launch a mostly-empty tank and then fill it up in orbit, but that can't be done with this at the present time.

Edit: I just realized that this may be a ProceduralParts issue, please confirm and I'll go there if it is

Edited by linuxgurugamer

6 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@HebaruSan

I had a problem reported to me about my Fill It Up mod, which allows a player to play with tank levels in the editor to adjust the balance of planes.  It doesn't  work with this mod, possibly because there aren't any resources in the tank while in the editor.

The mod does see that the type of resources the tank can hold, it just can't adjust them

I see this as a bigger problem than just my mod, for example, i can see someone wanting to launch a mostly-empty tank and then fill it up in orbit, but that can't be done with this at the present time.

Edit: I just realized that this may be a ProceduralParts issue, please confirm and I'll go there if it is

As far as I know SmartTank shouldn't do anything like that. Please let me know if there's a test case / screenshot / any info at all really about this.

24 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

As far as I know SmartTank shouldn't do anything like that. Please let me know if there's a test case / screenshot / any info at all really about this.

Here you go:

It only happens when the Preferred TWR is set.  Try this:

1. Disable the TWR ability
  2. Put a capsule in the VAB
  3. Attach a Procedural Tank
  4. Right-click the tank, you will see there is Liquid Fuel and oxiizer
  5. Now, remove the tank, and enable the TWR ability
  6. Attach the same tank (has to be new)
  7. Right-click the tank, no fuel or oxidizer is shown.
  8. Disable the Auto fit to TWR using the PAW button
  9. Fuel is now shown

Without looking at the code, I'm guessing here, but I suspect that it is constantly recalculating the TWR, which means constantly recalculating the fuel, etc

I think that once this is fixed, I'm going to fall in love with this mod

Edited by linuxgurugamer

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Right-click the tank, no fuel or oxidizer is shown.

Ahh OK, yes, SmartTank disables the ability to edit the fuel levels when it's auto-managing a procedural tank's size. Specifically, it sets PartResource.isTweakable = false and fills the tank (but the resource is still in the tank, just not editable):

https://github.com/HebaruSan/SmartTank/blob/d333376944d859f78b9637f01378f2021abb6d9e/src/SmartTankPart.cs#L348-L363

This is because it needs to be able to increase and decrease the mass of the tank to fit the target TWR, and editing of the fuel levels was messing that up.

What problems is this causing exactly?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.