Mod request: Cargo Tie Down

MunGazer

Hello programming folks, my deepest respect and admiration to you for having figured out how to mod KSP.  If I could get past all the confusion I have following tutorials, I would make my own but I'm very far from that.  I would just about pay someone 100 bucks a month to tutor me.

That said, I have a request for a mod that I think would have a tremendous amount of benefit to development time ratio.  In other words, I think it'd be easy to implement and help a lot of people, myself included.

I would very much love to have a way to drive a rover into the back of a cargo plane's mk3 cargo bay, then be able to somehow activate (via right clicking something or whatever would be most effective + easy to implement)  a very secure parking mode for that rover within the cargo bay.  This way, when you take off and fly to and fro, the rover or vehicle won't slide into the back of the bay or this way and that, and you don't have to fuss with docking ports which cause restrictions to cargo bay usge efficiency and loading/unloading operations.

There have been so many challenges on the forums involving flying cargo, and manual usage of docking ports and KIS/KAS to manipulate cargo for the end result described above is extremely time consuming, meticulous, and painful.  I respect KIS/KAS tremendously, and there are tons of ways that mod is very useful - it's just that I've spent many many hours using other mods to try and achieve a good system for many different types of operations - and there just isn't a good solution.

The proposed tie down mod.. I don't know much about the specifics, but perhaps it could work by utilizing auto-strut functionality dynamically on/off during a mission.

1 hour ago, MunGazer said:

Hello programming folks, my deepest respect and admiration to you for having figured out how to mod KSP.  If I could get past all the confusion I have following tutorials, I would make my own but I'm very far from that.  I would just about pay someone 100 bucks a month to tutor me.

That said, I have a request for a mod that I think would have a tremendous amount of benefit to development time ratio.  In other words, I think it'd be easy to implement and help a lot of people, myself included.

I would very much love to have a way to drive a rover into the back of a cargo plane's mk3 cargo bay, then be able to somehow activate (via right clicking something or whatever would be most effective + easy to implement)  a very secure parking mode for that rover within the cargo bay.  This way, when you take off and fly to and fro, the rover or vehicle won't slide into the back of the bay or this way and that, and you don't have to fuss with docking ports which cause restrictions to cargo bay usge efficiency and loading/unloading operations.

There have been so many challenges on the forums involving flying cargo, and manual usage of docking ports and KIS/KAS to manipulate cargo for the end result described above is extremely time consuming, meticulous, and painful.  I respect KIS/KAS tremendously, and there are tons of ways that mod is very useful - it's just that I've spent many many hours using other mods to try and achieve a good system for many different types of operations - and there just isn't a good solution.

The proposed tie down mod.. I don't know much about the specifics, but perhaps it could work by utilizing auto-strut functionality dynamically on/off during a mission.

The best way I found

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.