Groups. A More Robust Addition to The Upcoming Mesh / Texture Switching?

Part Group Organisation!

Texture and mesh switching is a very exciting new feature, a great decision by the development team, it provides a huge avenue of opportunity for modders and players.
That being said, there could be a reasonably easy (Said as a .NET programmer monkey) to implement addition or alternative that offers far more possibilities and addresses one of the longest running complaints about the game - VAB part overload!

I have summed it up in this image:

nrCD6t1.png

Edited by Beale

My gripe with this kind of "hidden tank view organization thingy" is that I like to see ALL the options I have with minimal work. I don't want to have to click another button to get to the part I want in some form of tree. Sure, its great for organization, but it's also a hassle.

3 minutes ago, qzgy said:

My gripe with this kind of "hidden tank view organization thingy" is that I like to see ALL the options I have with minimal work. I don't want to have to click another button to get to the part I want in some form of tree. Sure, its great for organization, but it's also a hassle.

Maybe it could be a toggle? (Collapse groups?) Just a checkbox at the top of the part icons. Would be a very minor addition / option if this suggestion were implemented in the game.

In that way, everybody is happy with their preference (You are seeing all parts vs. other are seeing a reduced view).

I guess in a way, this is more of an addition that could live side-by-side with the mesh and texture switching - more of a (in my opinion huge) quality of life improvement for modders and players in the VAB.

Edited by Beale

Just now, Beale said:

Maybe it could be a toggle? (Collapse groups?) Just a checkbox at the top of the part icons. Would be a very minor addition / option if this suggestion were implemented in the game.

In that way, everybody is happy with their preference (Seeing all parts vs. reduced view).

That I would be good with. Suits a larger audience than one simple permanent change.

10 minutes ago, qzgy said:

That I would be good with. Suits a larger audience than one simple permanent change.

Nice :) 

To be honest, the fuel tanks are an extreme example, I pictured this more for like "This RCS block has four nozzles, this other one has three, let's merge them into a small group".

Edited by Beale

I think fuel tank series make sense. But definitely the bigger advantage would be, as you said, things like RCS block variants, things like sea level / vacuum versions of the same engine (common in mods like mine), things like that.

23 minutes ago, nascarlaser1 said:

texture switching is coming to stock ksp? I thought it was only in the DLC?

(if this is true then this is a great idea)

It's been confirmed that the code for it will be in the stock game. Whether any stock parts will gain texture switching is unknown at this time.

That looks like a great idea, and I'd surprised if they didn't add a feature like this with the expansion. (Quick note: the weekly confirmed that different part types will have different mass and drag, so that removes one of three cons in the first image)

26 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

That looks like a great idea, and I'd surprised if they didn't add a feature like this with the expansion. (Quick note: the weekly confirmed that different part types will have different mass and drag, so that removes one of three cons in the first image)

That's good to know!

I'm curious what stats can change, interesting.

On 7/1/2017 at 5:16 PM, TheRagingIrishman said:

It's been confirmed that the code for it will be in the stock game. Whether any stock parts will gain texture switching is unknown at this time.

Would be REALLY nice to not have to rely on Firespitter, IFS, b9PartSwitch, or any of the other great texture/mesh switching mods out there, as dependencies for simple parts mods...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.