[1.3.1] [Poll] Sunflares of Maar: GPP Bundle v1.2 [Jan 23, 2018]

JadeOfMaar

Favorite Flare  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which flare do you prefer? Development will restart soon™ and involve new Scatterer syntax. The winning flare will be trialed first.

• Canaan
    • Phi
    • Primus
    • Ursa Minor

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/08/2021 at 09:00 PM

With scatterer for KSP 1.5.1 out I've begun preparing to re-release these sunflares. There will be 5 downloads, one per flare, each containing support for, or the framework for easier to write support for your favorite star system mods (except SSRSS). In addition to easier configs, the re-releases will be CKAN friendly and the flare sizes will be half their current. :sticktongue:

Edited by JadeOfMaar

• 2 months later...

The instructions are there in the OP but they're easy to miss.  Select and download one of the packs (Stock, SSRSS, etc.), then

Install instructions: Unzip entire thing the first time to preserve folder structure. Then delete the sunflares you don't want.

Or, you could download and open the zip.  It contains five zips.  Select one.  Open it and copy the GameData file you see there to [your KSP install]\GameData.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey there, I know this is old but there doesn't seem to be an updated topic... So I'm trying to use the stock Canaan flare in 1.8.1 alongside AVP and Scatterer. Originally I deleted the AVP sunflares only, and the Canaan flare worked properly in the tracking station/map view, but wouldn't appear in-flight. So I did further reading here, found that Scatterer also has sunflares built in, so I deleted the Sun.cfg in the Scatterer folder. Now I don't have any sunflares at all, in-game or map view. Any idea what I have done wrong? I have left the SoM folder untouched (other than editing the size of the flare in the config, which worked fine and caused no issue). Any idea what's gone wrong or would you need a log? Thanks in advance, if anyone sees this. Sorry again for the necro.

Edited by RyGuy_McFly

@RyGuy_McFly Sorry. I never tested support with the various foreign visual mods since my PC and I don't have much tolerance for 3D clouds. My configs do edits to the Sun node within the scatterer file you deleted. No file --> no node to edit --> no sunflare. My configs don't delete and re-declare that node. When the sunflare shows in other scenes but not in flight, that's a scatterer bug. Quickloading a few times should fix it (?), otherwise search in the scatterer thread for an answer, or ask. Your issue seems very unique.

I got really turned off from visual mods at some point about KSP 1.5, 1.6? And the structure of this mod is a real mess (It is both very wide and very tall from a developer POV) which is why I left this.

I understand now that it's a scatterer issue. I've since returned scatterers' config to at least have sunflares sometimes, and after further testing, determined the sunflare is only missing while within any sort of atmosphere/atmospheric effect (missing on the surface of Moho, but visible above the ablation effects at 15km). I'll do some snooping in the configs and see if I can figure out what hides the sunflares within atmospheres, see if I can isolate it to only certain bodies.

Edited by RyGuy_McFly

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

@JadeOfMaar The beautiful part is that particular properties of the viewer's lens creates them so ideally we can assume that every craft should have the different cameras and obviously different flare.

If we use at least a few different crafts in orbit, then it won't make a big difference whether the flare will depend on a specific craft, or they will simply be random.

From a visual point of view and my satisfaction with the game, I don't care at all whether it is logical to have different flares or not.
It's just very inconvenient for me to close the game and replace files by hand.
And it would be just perfect if they just changed from time to time.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/23/2021 at 2:52 PM, Jason Kerman said:

Hello! I found it looks abnormal under scatterer v0.0723.

For everyone using those sunflares, just need to add a line in the sunflare of maar configs excluding the new syntax that scatterer added.

Will look like this:

@Sun
    {
        !syntaxVersion = 2
        %assetPath = SunflaresOfMaar/Stock/...

• 1 month later...

After a long time of consideration, and watching as Scatterer evolved, I'm going to (re)do this mod the complete and right way. But I'm not going to prepare every flare at once. Choose your flare from the attached poll (open until July 8, 2021...time might extend).

The right way:

• Full Spectrum (OBAFGKM+T)
  • Scatterer + Unity
  • As far as I can manage, produce a mechanism for easily applying the right flare to each star

8waY3QW.png

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.