[1.3.1] [Poll] Sunflares of Maar: GPP Bundle v1.2 [Jan 23, 2018]

JadeOfMaar

Favorite Flare  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which flare do you prefer? Development will restart soon™ and involve new Scatterer syntax. The winning flare will be trialed first.

• Canaan
    • Phi
    • Primus
    • Ursa Minor

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/08/2021 at 09:00 PM

Some things I wanna *get out there* whilst I develop my new planet pack.

1. Am I allowed to edit the Sun.cfg file to fit my needs (My star is called Helios, and I have to target Helios instead of Sun!)
  2. Am i allowed to move one of the sunflare configurations into its own scatterer folder? Or should I keep it as SunflaresOfMaar? (CKAN stuff)
  3. Am i allowed to bundle SunflaresOfMaar with the download, provided credit is given?

That stuff aside, some screenshots!

KpOe2cf.png

2U1t1nO.png

ysA3EL4.png

What a wonderful mod :) it's breathtaking

2 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

Some things I wanna *get out there* whilst I develop my new planet pack.

1. Am I allowed to edit the Sun.cfg file to fit my needs (My star is called Helios, and I have to target Helios instead of Sun!)
  2. Am i allowed to move one of the sunflare configurations into its own scatterer folder? Or should I keep it as SunflaresOfMaar? (CKAN stuff)
  3. Am i allowed to bundle SunflaresOfMaar with the download, provided credit is given?

-snip-

What a wonderful mod :) it's breathtaking

I'm glad you raised this question. Feel free to alter my config(s) to account for Helios and suit any other needs, but I will not allow my sunflares to be bundled except by GPO and very large or very eccentric multi-star mods. GPO counts as eccentric because Olu'um isn't just another red dwarf star.

The Isk sunflare is too good. Maybe I shouldn't have released it. :sticktongue: In any case your screenshots are very nice.

35 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I'm glad you raised this question. Feel free to alter my config(s) to account for Helios and suit any other needs, but I will not allow my sunflares to be bundled except by GPO and very large or very eccentric multi-star mods. GPO counts as eccentric because Olu'um isn't just another red dwarf star.

The Isk sunflare is too good. Maybe I shouldn't have released it. :sticktongue: In any case your screenshots are very nice.

So it's fine I add a MM config so that if someone decides to use your sunflare it will apply to Helios? (Provided they download separately)

@JadeOfMaar I can't make a MM config for it, you would need a compatibility patch I believe. I did a quick one for my upcoming planet pack "Before Kerbin" where the star is named 'Helios' (and so applying the sunflare to Sun will not work!)

Here's the patch (i just changed sun to helios hehe) https://www.dropbox.com/s/owlr8mck2zzq5t5/SOM BeforeKerbin - Unlicenced%2C Config Patch.zip?dl=0

(although your licence says don't copy/redistribute i imagine this counts as an exception since it's a patch?)

Edited by Gameslinx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey there, first off I want to say thanks for these awesome sunflares! It's amazing how much just one "tiny" thing can change the look of the game, superb work!

I do however have a question. I'm running a heavily modded career and I haven't yet figured out if my "issue" is coming from the sunflare itself or from some strange interaction with some other mod I'm running but form the sunflares I've tried from this pack they all appear veeery big. Like there's almost no point in having the sun "in the shot" so to speak because I can barrely see anything else. The flares being so big also seems to highlight the pixelcount of the images used for creating it leading to it not looking very "crisp".

Has anybody else noticed this or is it just my funky install? If it is a design choice then maybe somebody could direct me somewhere where the editing of sunflares is explained so that i could "shrink" it?

Much appreciated komrads.

8 hours ago, MrRadGast said:

but form the sunflares I've tried from this pack they all appear veeery big.

They're large on purpose. I'm a bit spoiled by the fact that my favorite Twitch streamer likes his sunflare large and has a super-large screen. I can reduce them all and post an update but in the meantime you can open my config and increase the third numbers in this area:

@Scatterer_sunflare:AFTER[scatterer]
{
	author = JadeOfMaar
	// Config for Primus sunflare
	@Sun
	{
		%assetPath = SunflaresOfMaar/Stock/Primus
		%flareSettings = 0.6,1,0.4
		%spikesSettings = 0.5,1,0.4

Replacing both 0.4 with 0.8 should be quite enough for you.

On 24/08/2017 at 6:24 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

They're large on purpose. I'm a bit spoiled by the fact that my favorite Twitch streamer likes his sunflare large and has a super-large screen. I can reduce them all and post an update but in the meantime you can open my config and increase the third numbers in this area:

@Scatterer_sunflare:AFTER[scatterer]
{
	author = JadeOfMaar
	// Config for Primus sunflare
	@Sun
	{
		%assetPath = SunflaresOfMaar/Stock/Primus
		%flareSettings = 0.6,1,0.4
		%spikesSettings = 0.5,1,0.4

Replacing both 0.4 with 0.8 should be quite enough for you.

Oooh, thanks, so pretty! Just out of curiosity, what are those three numbers connected to flareSettings and spikeSettings referring to? Would normally just fiddel with them but at this point my KSP install takes a good 15 min to start up which makes the trial and error approach a real hastle. Also, what streamer is that?

7 minutes ago, MrRadGast said:

Oooh, thanks, so pretty! Just out of curiosity, what are those three numbers connected to flareSettings and spikeSettings referring to? Would normally just fiddel with them but at this point my KSP install takes a good 15 min to start up which makes the trial and error approach a real hastle. Also, what streamer is that?

The three numbers there are Intensity (brightness), Aspect ratio (lower = wider), Scale (divides, not multiplies).

The streamer in particular is @RocketPCGaming, on Twitch.TV

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Scatterer_sunflare
{
    Sun
    {
        //path to sunflare textures
        assetPath = The New Crew/scatterer/configs/Sunflares/Cannus

//Flare and spikes: Centered on Cannus
        //
        //
        //sunFlare.png
        flareSettings = 0.45,1,0.85

//sunSpikes.png
        spikesSettings = 0.6,1,1

//distance under which the flare is faded out
        //to make the sun surface visible up-close
        //in scaled space coords, ie actual distance /6000
        sunGlareFadeDistance = 250000

//distance over 0.5 of which the ghosts are progressively faded out
        //full fadeout at  1.5 * ghostFadeDistance
        //in scaled space coords, ie actual distance /6000
        ghostFadeDistance = 13500000

// Ghosts, variable position along the sun to screen-center line
        //
        // each row is an instance of a ghost
        // 8 instances of each ghost maximum
        // if you want more ghosts or instances just contact me
        // for each row: intensity, aspect ratio, 1/scale, position on sun-screenCenter line

// position on sun-screenCenter line: can be positive or negative
        // 0 is sun position, 1 is screen center

//Ghost1.png
        ghost1SettingsList1  //2 used slots, 2 unused
        {
            Item = 0.54,0.65,2.3,0.5
            Item = 0.54,1,6,0.7
        }

//4 more unused slots for ghost 1
        ghost1SettingsList2
        {

}

//Ghost2.png
        ghost2SettingsList1
        {
            Item = 0.135,1,3,0.9
            Item = 0.054,1,8,1.1
            Item = 0.054,1,4,1.3
            Item = 0.054,1,5,1.5
        }

//4 more unused slots for ghost 2
        ghost2SettingsList2
        {

}

//8 unused slots for ghost 3
        //I include this additional ghost for modders
        //A texture needs to be included so I included a 1x1 texture
        //you can replace it with a texture of your own size
        ghost3SettingsList1
        {

}

ghost3SettingsList2
        {

}
    }
}

@Cyrus Playz "How I made sunflares so cool" requires a lot of imagination, the talent of a person born and trained in visual arts, a small amount of coding skill, and the resources to pick from, mix, match and even create from nothing in Photoshop or GIMP. That's my straightforward answer.

@Cyrus Playz Here's the heads-up:

• If you have the scatterer mod folder inside of another folder (assumed from your assetPath), put it back into the root of GameData.
  • Do not put spaces in folder names.
  • Practice setting up your sunflare configs outside of the scatterer folder. It's bad practice and obsolete technique to overwrite another person's mod's files.
    How you should arrange your sunflare stuff is: GameData\YourMod\sunflares
  • Try not to name any folders "scatterer." It can confuse other mods that expect the real scatterer.
  • Open scatterer's planetList.cfg and scroll down to the very bottom. Inside of sunflares {} add "Item = Cannus". This is where scatterer knows that a star is supposed to have a sunflare. This part cannot be edited easily by MM. You can do something about it but that's another lesson.
    Scatterer_planetsList
    {
    	sunflares
    	{
    		Item = Sun
    		Item = Cannus
    	}
    }

Edited by JadeOfMaar

• 1 month later...

What better day than Christmas Day to finish a new sunflare. Certain design elements and technique in it (I'm still quite a novice) needed to be nailed down, now others like it, particularly the anamorphic kind can arise.

Behold...
The Exodus Sunflare

JJtz3AQ.jpg

50yCJe1.jpg

JAtuucr.jpg

I'm not releasing it. Maybe the next one. :wink: 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, 

I've been trying to install some of the beautiful sunflares of this package. Thanks a lot for making them.
I run ksp 1.3.1 with EVE, scatterer and Astronomer's visual pack.
I've been trying to override stock config, scatterer and EVE by overwriting the sunflare files in their respective folders, to no avail. Is there something i'm missing out in the correct procedure to install the sunflares ?

Thanks a lot

1 hour ago, Space Marauder said:

Hello, 

I've been trying to install some of the beautiful sunflares of this package. Thanks a lot for making them.
I run ksp 1.3.1 with EVE, scatterer and Astronomer's visual pack.
I've been trying to override stock config, scatterer and EVE by overwriting the sunflare files in their respective folders, to no avail. Is there something i'm missing out in the correct procedure to install the sunflares ?

Thanks a lot

You're welcome. I'm glad you're looking forward to enjoying.

There's more than one of Astronomer's mod. Please link the exact one you used. It might be of value to my investigation into this problem. Have you tried editing my config file such that the line "assetPath = folder\sunflare" matches where you moved the sunflare folder to? (Do not include "GameData" in the path. Everything is relative to GameData).

3 hours ago, Space Marauder said:

Thanks for the quick answer :) 

I'm using Astronomer Visual Pack 1.6, medium res textures (4K), installed through CKAN. Eve and Scatterer have been installed this way too.

I've tried editing the config file to specify the path but it didn't work 

In the case you want to use an external sunflare package alongside Astronomer's Visual Pack, please navigate to GameData/AstronomersVisualPack and remove the "Scatterer-sunflare" folder before proceeding with installation of another sunflare.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.