Could you keep a human cryonically stored for cosmologically significant periods of time?

Souper

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

If the brain is a data storage rather than a network adapter.

What leads to the next problem, once we manage to freeze and unfreeze a living organism without damaging the cells beyond repair: for how much time the neuron's electric charge can be preserved before wearing off?

A "brain washed" individual would be of no use.

I'd have to say this is completely unknown. The important bit would be the ability to preserve the information content of the brain. Seems unlikely, and sans that, the issue is moot.

Exactly. I just read your post after writing mine - you got it first. :) 

Edited by Lisias
acknowledgments.

A dynamic IP based personality.

Let's hope there is a session ID somewhere in the system cache. As a cookie.

(Btw that would be the thing which is different for clones, including the startrek-teleported ones. Same hardware, same init values, different session ID.)

Edited by kerbiloid

59 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Take a look on Iceland's geological history. It's well known enough to make projections about the future eruptions. So you can have a reasonable confidence about the best place for such long term project. You don't need something to be "stable" for more time than you need it to be stable! :D 

Hehe, that's one of the few spots on earth with a natural floor heating :-) I assume that the Icelanders will be most thankful to house the coffins of a few meat popsicles :-) How about Hawaii ?

On the stability of such a power plant: years most probably with little effort, decades maybe if kept maintained, centuries no. Nobody can say how the volcanology on a transform crack develops(*) and if the technical stuff will still be suitable. I would say this is not going to happen to keep a few people cool for a "better" future, neither technically, nor politically. Apart from the fact that there is no way freeze them without killing them.

The only thing one can do is push ahead the funeral.

Hey, i am not 100% serious, ok :-) ?

(*) Edit: I'm not saying it might cease, i rather say it might be covered with ash and lava or shaken into pieces to the ground or swept away by a tsunami released by subterranean landslide. Because these things happen in such an environment and i don't think the aborigines will defend the "guests" with their last breath :-)

Again, not 100% serious.

Edited by Green Baron

31 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

Hey, i am not 100% serious, ok :-) ?

Who is? We are talking about shoving a unlucky guy into a freezer for centuries, perhaps Millenia! Nothing serious can be extracted from this! :D 

But… It's interesting maintain a discussion about, on the most "scientifically way" possible. The best SciFi histories born this way!

Edited by Lisias

1 hour ago, Lisias said:

GeoThermal sources, by all practical meanings, can be considered "infinite".

In lifespan yes, but not in output.  The amount of power they can produce at any one time has a limit, and our tourist is using up energy that could be put to better uses. 

On 9/2/2018 at 5:34 PM, Gargamel said:

In lifespan yes, but not in output.  The amount of power they can produce at any one time has a limit, and our tourist is using up energy that could be put to better uses. 

In order to continue our debate ins a still useless :P but at least consistent way, I need to understand what do you mean by "energy".

Are you talking about Energy on the Physics sense (thermodynamics, entropy et all), or you talking about energy on the common sense (efforts, resources, people's will to do something)?

Edited by Lisias
not sure if I expressed myself in the best way...

About that "knowledge is finickle" thing...

The "Museu Nacional", the oldest and more important Scientific Institute of my country just burned to ashes yesterday. From the first document about this country (the Pero Vaz de Caminha Letter), to the Declaration of the Independence (I'm serious, we let the flames burn our Declaration of Independence), not to mention the oldest human fossil found in Americas (Luzia), all is lost. Forever.

Any new technology that would help to better understand Luzia is now useless to this task. 12.000 years of Natural History, and 200 years of national documents just don't exist anymore. Any reproduction cannot be authenticated, our History can be easily forfeit as time passes.

Civilization is fragile.

21 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

I have read this. A terrible loss. My apologies !

I think that "Condolences" would be a better word. :) 

Thanks. Dude, you don't have the slightest idea about how I'm feeling right now. The Museu Nacional was a kind of "Smithsonian" for us (of course, way smaller).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.