Rotor blade instead of parachutes

drwolf

i was thinking about ways to land on the purple planet, and the idea came to me why not use Rotor blades instead of parachutes?. so i thort i would test it aut with Damned aerospece part. all of this got me thinking wat abut alternative ways to land your kerbuls on the new planets when we get them. i would like to hear some ideas from people :).

oh and heres sume pics of my craft. and the craft file.

screenshot109.png

screenshot105.png

screenshot108.png

So you mean powered descent, yes it is a option but is extremely inefective, the gravity is stronger by 10% and the atmosphere is 10 ticker..

To land you need more fuel than you need to lansd on Kerbin and after that even more to get back up.. while you can land 10x heavier ships with the same parachutes..

when it comes to alternatives.. why not use lift to guide you and slow you down.. no need to use fuel, just proper flight..

i was thinking of sumthing more like a sycamore tree seed, Rotor blades to slow descent insted of a parashut. the pod would be for landing rovers and cargo. i had no plans to get the thing back into space this why.

its a shame i have zero moding skills.

That's a very interesting idea, and I got to wondering why nobody's tried a gyrocopter with real probes. I suspect that folding the arrangement for liftoff and unfolding at the destination would be frought with ways the thing could go wrong, and in a thin atmosphere, I'm not sure it would be more effective than the structurally much simpler parachutes. And if you only had one rotor and it was powered, you'd have to worry about the torque on the vehicle. But it is interesting.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.