Seeking crash course on "love."

Tex

NOT love as a relationship, "love" or "affection" as a chemical response in the human body. I know there are a variety of endorphins/chemicals at play when emotions are felt, can anyone point me to any quote-unquote "love" hormone/endorphin/chemical thingy?

Hardy har. Just in case the meaning was actually unclear, I'm looking for what hormones/whatever is released when one experiences a feeling of love or affection, as in dopamine does in happiness responses.

Probably, love is not a specific hormone, but a specific biochemical disbalance pattern, when different hormones get produced one-by-one, causing sequentional changes of mood.
"Hormones of" "happiness", "trepidation", "anger", "win", "tranquility", "self-solace" and so on.
I.e. all same hormones as usual but in active response to a specific object appearance.

So, not a specfic hormone, but a specific reaction or syndrome

Edited by kerbiloid

Oxytocin aka 'the cuddle chemical' might fit the bill? It's a complicated beast but some of its affects seem to be the kind of thing you have in mind.

Edit: A quick Google search for 'love hormone' produces a load of articles about oxytocin, so it might be as close as you'll get.

Edited by KSK

Oxytocin is a hormone of softness, while the love can be a pain.

Love without a pain is like a positive loopback system without negative loopback regulator. Funny, but a short while.

Edited by kerbiloid

On a higher abstraction level cultural implications (concept of marriage, polygamy, ...), gathered life experiences, personal expectations, etc. play a role as well. Talking of large numbers the invoking of emotions are widely used in the modern media to transport all sorts of messages.

Searching "emotional biochemistry" brought quite a few links to me. I cannot judge how reliable they are, but they might calm your needs, if i may say so in this context :-)

Doing some research with your guys's aid led me to uncover just what I was looking for. Adrenaline/epinephrine, dopamine, norepinephrine, oxytocin, and vasopressin. Oxytocin and vasopressin are enormously complicated little buggers, but the other three are nice and simple, and actually quite similar in structure.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.