Request to add drill toggle in action groups, and edit action group in flight

Hi KSP dev team

I found that toggling/deploy/retract drill in action groups for drill has been removed in the recent update, so I cannot toggle drills from action groups, it is annoying that toggle drills one by one,

Also if it is possible that we can re-define the action group in flight.

9 hours ago, duchenpaul said:

Also if it is possible that we can re-define the action group in flight.

A very old request indeed.
Don't expect Squad to add this any time soon. We've been asking for this for years. In the mean time you could use Action Group Manager. It will do pretty much exactly what you're looking for.

Edited by Tex_NL

Someone should move this to the Suggestion and Development Discussion subforum. And yeah, mods is always the best option.

Edited by NSEP

7 hours ago, Tex_NL said:

A very old request indeed.
Don't expect Squad to add this any time soon. We've been asking for this for years. In the mean time you could use Action Group Manager. It will do pretty much exactly what you're looking for.

Unfortunately this is a different issue.  AGM (and as far as I know, AGX) merely enable you to move existing actions in the action groups.  I think he is saying the actions aren't there anymore.  If that is the case, it would be a stock bug.  A lot of parts need actions added to various functions (Squad really needs to show that some love) but to have an existing one suddenly gone, that's gotta be a bug. (I am unsure if this is true, I haven't spent a lot of time playing with them)

That said, a mod could re-add it back.  I had a mod add a toggle to the Fuel Cells once, but the function was made stock so I abandoned it.

EDIT: Oops, I didn't see the whole post.  There were two requests there.  Nevermind me :D you are right.

Edited by Alshain

1 minute ago, Alshain said:

Unfortunately this is a different issue.  AGM (and as far as I know, AGX) merely enable you to move existing actions in the action groups.  I think he is saying the actions aren't there anymore.  If that is the case, it would be a stock bug.  A lot of parts need actions added to various functions (Squad really needs to show that some love) but to have an existing one suddenly gone, that's gotta be a bug. (I am unsure if this is true, I haven't spent a lot of time playing with them)

That said, a mod could re-add it back.  I had a mod add a toggle to the Fuel Cells once, but the function was made stock so I abandoned it.

No offence, but if you look closer to the part I quoted you'll see my statement is 100% correct. You of all people should know.

Just now, Tex_NL said:

No offence, but if you look closer to the part I quoted you'll see my statement is 100% correct. You of all people should know.

Yes, I just saw that, sorry.  I didn't see the second request in the post.

Edited by Alshain

13 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Ok, so my flub asside, @duchenpaul I'm looking at your first issue and I do see the option to start, stop, and toggle on both drill in stock KSP.  Can you clarify what you are looking for there?

Start, stop and toggle are indeed still visible in the action group listing. Deploy and retract are not. Obviously you can still deploy/retract the drill by right-clicking but sadly no longer through action groups.

I just checked with AGM, the deploy and retract commands are still listed and can be assigned to action groups. But trying to use said action group does not have any effect. Looks like Squad managed yet again to introduce as many bugs as they tried to fix.

Edited by Tex_NL

16 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

Start, stop and toggle are indeed still visible in the action group listing. Deploy and retract are not. Obviously you can still deploy/retract the drill by right-clicking but sadly no longer through action groups.

I just checked with AGM, the deploy and retract commands are still listed and can be assigned to action groups. But trying to use said action group does not have any effect. Looks like Squad managed yet again to introduce as many bugs as they tried to fix.

Ok, I see.  That is odd though, it must still exist in the game for AGM to see it.  That almost makes me wonder if they disabled it intentionally because they knew it was broken.

4 minutes ago, Alshain said:

That almost makes me wonder if they disabled it intentionally because they knew it was broken.

Strange. It wasn't broken in 1.2.2.
Why try to fix it when it aint broken?

Edited by Tex_NL

4 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

Strange. It wasn't broken in 1.2.2.
Why try to fix it when it aint broken?

Sometimes things break when you aren't even touching it. Fixing other things in the game can have unintentional side effects. This happened when you have complicated systems such as this game.

Yep, it also happens a lot when things are not well protected.  Method A is using Variable B to do something, Method C comes along an changes Variable B which breaks Method A.  It's why object oriented programming is so popular.  It gives you the power to isolate things your class depends on and prevent them from being tampered with.  I'm not saying that is what happened here, I can't see KSP's code any more than anyone else, but it can be a common problem.

I'm looking to see if I can fix it with a modded patch or not.

Edited by Alshain

Ok, so I could not fix the existing action.  But I was able to make a dirty little patch to replicate it.  It's a temporary workaround until Squad can fix it.  As per forum rules.  License is MIT, no external dependencies were used internally but it does require Module Manager, and here is the source code:

namespace ToggleDrill
{
    class ModuleActionableAnimationGroup : ModuleAnimationGroup
    {
        [KSPAction("Toggle Drill (Modded)")]
        public void toggle(KSPActionParam param)
        {
            if (isDeployed)
                RetractModule();
            else
                DeployModule();
        }

[KSPAction("Retract Drill (Modded)")]
        public void retract(KSPActionParam param)
        {
            if (isDeployed)
                RetractModule();
        }

[KSPAction("Deploy Drill (Modded)")]
        public void deploy(KSPActionParam param)
        {
            if (!isDeployed)
                DeployModule();
        }
    }
}

I gave it a unique action name so you could distinguish it in AGM, as I said it's a dirty little workaround.

Download

Edited by Alshain

22 hours ago, Alshain said:

Ok, so I could not fix the existing action.  But I was able to make a dirty little patch to replicate it.  It's a temporary workaround until Squad can fix it.  As per forum rules.  License is MIT, no external dependencies were used internally but it does require Module Manager, and here is the source code:

namespace ToggleDrill
{
    class ModuleActionableAnimationGroup : ModuleAnimationGroup
    {
        [KSPAction("Toggle Drill (Modded)")]
        public void toggle(KSPActionParam param)
        {
            if (isDeployed)
                RetractModule();
            else
                DeployModule();
        }
    }
}

I gave it a unique action name so you could distinguish it in AGM, as I said it's a dirty little workaround.

Download

I prefer one retract and one deploy binding as drilling and extracting is two actions. 
Now I click 5 (my standard) to drill, 5 again to extract. 6 to retract who also stop extracting, this make it visible that I'm not mining, if I need to stop some drills to save power I stop one after one until power balance. 

33 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

I prefer one retract and one deploy binding as drilling and extracting is two actions. 
Now I click 5 (my standard) to drill, 5 again to extract. 6 to retract who also stop extracting, this make it visible that I'm not mining, if I need to stop some drills to save power I stop one after one until power balance. 

I can do that.  Updated the original post with a new download.

10 hours ago, duchenpaul said:

Hi Alshain

How to apply your code into the game? do i have to install the AGM?

Nope, you don't need AGM.  Just copy the contents of the zip anywhere in your gamedata folder (it's not specific) and install Module Manager if you don't already have it.

However, without AGM you won't be able to add this to existing drills, only new ones.

Edited by Alshain

On 7/2/2017 at 7:37 PM, duchenpaul said:

I found that toggling/deploy/retract drill in action groups for drill has been removed in the recent update, so I cannot toggle drills from action groups, it is annoying that toggle drills one by one,

The missing actions are a bug that looks like it is fixed once the next patch comes.  You can apply the solution yourself, from the bug report:
"It can be fixed by removing "displayActions = false" from config files" which files would be GameData/Squad/Parts/Resources/MiniDrill/MiniDrill.cfg and similarly for RadialDrill.

Usually Module Manager is the better way to override configurations, so you keep your customization between game updates, but in this case it makes sense to correct a one-time mistake in the *.cfg files directly.

8 hours ago, Alshain said:

I can do that.  Updated the original post with a new download.

Nope, you don't need AGM.  Just copy the contents of the zip anywhere in your gamedata folder (it's not specific) and install Module Manager if you don't already have it.

However, without AGM you won't be able to add this to existing drills, only new ones.

Nice, thanks

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.