Down satelite in Brasil

felcas

I just got news of what appears to be a satelite that re-entried and landed (aparently with chutes) in Brasil.

But there is no burn marks and I find the presence of parachute very strange. 

My country does not have money for scientific aerial experiment, If it is some kind of drone it must be from another country.

What you think judging by the video? Thanks

This doesn't look like a satellite. Even if it was there's no way it could have survived reentry.

I'm not saying this ironically, but it's probably a weather balloon with the parachute actually being the deflated balloon. Balloons are cheap and pretty much anyone can send one up for experiments, weather measurements and so on, even if this one looks more advanced than a simple "GoPro balloon".

I'm sure some university or meteorological association will come claim it soon.

Edited by Gaarst
Typo

24 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

This doesn't look like a satellite. Even if it was there's no way it could have survived reentry.

I'm not saying this ironically, but it's probably a weather balloon with the parachute actuallu being the deflated balloon. Balloons are cheap and pretty much anyone can send one up for experiments, weather measurements and so on, even if this one looks more advanced than a simple "GoPro balloon".

I'm sure some university or meteorological association will come claim it soon.

It is a Google Ballon yes. Just found out.

You have no idea how things are expensive in my country. tax import make it 100% more expensive. Think about a video card to play games like a $500 GTX1080? It is around U$1000 and that is not all. The money X work hours any worker gets here is WAAAAAYYYYY less then in USA or other developed countries, For example a programmer gets something like U$9000 a year (if he is lucky enought to get a good contractor that pays that) while in USA it is around U$80.000 almost 10x more. Now you understand why everyone whants to go live in US? 

Edited by felcas

25 minutes ago, tater said:

It's a balloon.

Guy filming not smart enough to image the labels on it?

You have no idea how simple minded people are in certain parts of undeveloped countries.

It is not about being dumb, they just lack experience in life / malice. The people in this place actually only worries about survival, they are more worried to make food and find water and eventually materials to build a poor house. 

The guy has a smart phone, and posted this on the internet. That hardly matches with "only worried about survival," lol.

Take an image of the text on it, as it likely tells you exactly what it is.

2 minutes ago, tater said:

The guy has a smart phone, and posted this on the internet. That hardly matches with "only worried about survival," lol.

Take an image of the text on it, as it likely tells you exactly what it is.

You just don't understand, because it is not part of your reality, but that is ok.

I'd make the same comment to an American who took such a video---as many would do all over the country---and would not bother to film the one part that would instantly identify the craft.

Seriously, this could have landed in many metro areas in the US and the typical person would make a similar video. Most people are not that bright---not most Brazilian people, most people everywhere full stop. :D 

Just to clarify, my post was never meant as a slight on Brazilians, but on people in general.

51 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

it's probably a weather balloon with the parachute actuallu being the deflated balloon. Balloons are cheap and pretty much anyone can send one up for experiments, weather measurements and so on

The parachute is probably a parachute...  It's pretty common for expensive payloads to be suspended from a parachute which is in turn suspended from the balloon itself.  When the envelope pops (as it inevitably will), the payload begins to fall and the parachute automagically inflates without needing any fancy deployment equipment.

This video shows the chute fairly clearly.

18 minutes ago, DerekL1963 said:

The parachute is probably a parachute...  It's pretty common for expensive payloads to be suspended from a parachute which is in turn suspended from the balloon itself.  When the envelope pops (as it inevitably will), the payload begins to fall and the parachute automagically inflates without needing any fancy deployment equipment.

This video shows the chute fairly clearly.

You're probably right. In hindsight it looks like the landing was soft so it might very well be an actual parachute.

Edited by Gaarst

Like said earlier, there is no way this is a satellite, at least from orbit.

If it was, it would not have reached the ground, hell, spent rocket stages that landed back on the ground look even more damaged, although most of these stages dont reach full orbital velocity.

lm3a_03.jpg

2 hours ago, NSEP said:

Like said earlier, there is no way this is a satellite, at least from orbit.

If it was, it would not have reached the ground, hell, spent rocket stages that landed back on the ground look even more damaged, although most of these stages dont reach full orbital velocity.

lm3a_03.jpg

I would like to see this crashing into the ground. LOL

4 hours ago, tater said:

I'd make the same comment to an American who took such a video---as many would do all over the country---and would not bother to film the one part that would instantly identify the craft.

Seriously, this could have landed in many metro areas in the US and the typical person would make a similar video. Most people are not that bright---not most Brazilian people, most people everywhere full stop. :D 

Just to clarify, my post was never meant as a slight on Brazilians, but on people in general.

Yes, one Norwegian poached an deer who was equipped with an radio tracker tracer and took the tracer with home with the deer. 
If the deer had an collar with an box it would not take much imagination to realize it might be some tracking device and you should not take it home 

They can easily see the labels. But would you near-sniff a completely foreign-feeling object, unknown of it's characteristics ? Also they probably don't speak English (Spanish-Portuguese users being some of the other big communities on the .net apart from english)

Edited by YNM

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

Looks like a balloon to me. Which state did it land in?

It seems to have a solar panel so that it can run for a long time.

Already identifield as Google X ballon.

1 hour ago, YNM said:

They can easily see the labels. But would you near-sniff a completely foreign-feeling object, unknown of it's characteristics ? Also they probably don't speak English (Spanish-Portuguese users being some of the other big communities on the .net apart from english)

Actually, I think it is the opposite.

It never came to their mind to take picture of labels.

At the other side, yes they are pretty much curious, they guy with the red shirt was just hostering a knife probably used to cut the parachute material or to poke the UFO :). Some time ago, there was a report on a UFO crash that hit the countryside here in my country. It was about a black ball with strange texture and ondulations, and people was touching it and moving it. It was a spherical rocket fuel tank and the residues was actually poisonous to touch and breath. Also check out the Cesium accident here in Brasil.

By way, we speak portuguese here in Brasil. :wink: 

Edited by felcas

20 minutes ago, felcas said:

Actually, I think it is the opposite.

It never came to their mind to take picture of labels.

It's on the right, the labels. Of course potato-quality videos doesn't allow inscriptions presented that way to be read. It's more that they just "huh, what's this" and gloss over it. Pretty sure someone must have read it afterwards.

Is that on the local news ?

Also, thank you to remind me your language stems off portuguese. We... just gloss over the difference with spanish here.

Edited by YNM

28 minutes ago, YNM said:

It's on the right, the labels. Of course potato-quality videos doesn't allow inscriptions presented that way to be read. It's more that they just "huh, what's this" and gloss over it. Pretty sure someone must have read it afterwards.

Is that on the local news ?

yes local news.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.