93 members have voted

1. 1. Did you know about this change

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you like the change

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care

Interesting.  I did not know this.  I do prefer just Mun.  We call the moon, the moon, because it's the only moon around Earth.  That's not actually it's name.  I always felt as though Mun was the actual name of the first moon around Kerbin.  Kerbals don't seem to call their home planet The Kerbin.  So I don't see why they'd call the moon, The Mun.  Maybe it's another attempt by Squad to use "funny" word play.  Along with the hilarious "Fat 455" and "Big-S" wings.  Two names I have a MM patch to change, so I'm not constantly cringing in the VAB.

5 minutes ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

I wonder if it's in response to mispronunciations? I actually heard someone in a video pronounce it "munn". Talk about cringe-worthy.

The original error in that was expecting Americans to know how to pronounce the double-dot U.  If you're a German speaker, or have significant experience in a number of other languages, you'd recognize that as being about midway between "mun" and "moon" -- almost exactly the way Scott Manley pronounces it in his videos, in fact -- but if you're a typical American, it's going to come out as "munn".  Unless they either fix the spelling or include a pronunciation key for stock body names, this problem will always exist, because a significant fraction of players will continue to be monolingual Americans.

Mind you, I'd always assumed "Mün" was the proper name for the body, just as our moon's proper name is Luna -- and if that's the case, calling it "the Mün" would be grammatically incorrect -- like saying "the Mars".

42 minutes ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

The original error in that was expecting Americans to know how to pronounce the double-dot U.  If you're a German speaker, or have significant experience in a number of other languages, you'd recognize that as being about midway between "mun" and "moon" -- almost exactly the way Scott Manley pronounces it in his videos, in fact -- but if you're a typical American, it's going to come out as "munn".  Unless they either fix the spelling or include a pronunciation key for stock body names, this problem will always exist, because a significant fraction of players will continue to be monolingual Americans.

Mind you, I'd always assumed "Mün" was the proper name for the body, just as our moon's proper name is Luna -- and if that's the case, calling it "the Mün" would be grammatically incorrect -- like saying "the Mars".

Since the Squad staff is mostly Spanish-speaking (a Latin derivative, therefore quite a bit different from German and it's illegitimate offspring known as "English"), I always assumed it was just a "cute" spelling of moon for game purposes. After all, it is actually a moon. Then again, I speak American (with a distinctly Chicago accent), so what do I know? :)

So, I guess The Mun's real name is Loona then.

Edit: Having checked I don't really like it that much at all.

2 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

...but would you write a 3 line MM config about it?

How might I go about that?

Edited by FungusForge

2 hours ago, Ty Tan Tu said:

I wonder if it has to do with the language pact. Is it possible that the definite article is required in some languages and just to make it consistent, they added it to the English langue version too?

It is related to localization, but it's not clear that it was a deliberate change as opposed to the easiest thing for SQUAD to implement.

In 1.2, there was a property called CelestialBody.theName which would return "the Mun" and "the Sun" for those bodies but simply "Duna" or "Kerbin" for everything else. This was convenient for building grammatical sentences about them; in the middle of a sentence you can use theName as-is, and at the beginning you can capitalize the first letter, and you'll have a proper sentence for every planet. This property was removed in 1.3, presumably because it was too specific to English, and a capitalized definite article was baked into the English names for those bodies:

#autoLOC_910035 = The Mun^N
		#autoLOC_910053 = The Sun^N

... which meant that using it in the middle of a sentence is now ungrammatical in English. This was pointed out during the 1.2.9 pre-release but not addressed:

2 hours ago, FungusForge said:

How might I go about that?

// Fix Mun name bug.
@Kopernicus:NEEDS[Kopernicus]
{
	@Body[Mun]
	{
		@Properties
		{
			displayName = Mun
		}
	}
}

MM patch.  Needs Kopernicus.

Edited by klgraham1013

I don't really care though my OCD kind of went off when it is the only body with "the" in front. 

I actually don't like that they switched the position of the science report - pre 1.3 it said the location in the top bar iirc and now it's in the first line of the main text window :D 

the main thing that I find odd, is that:  The Mün was always meant to carry an umlaut (the "ü") 

this can be clearly seen in the writing upon the failed kerbally successful lander featured in the background of the main menu (in some instances of it, as it alternates with the orbit EVA variant)... one would have thought, now that the game features proper localization, (and surely with it the much necessary unicode support for such a thing) that this long existing oversight, as old as The Mün itself, would have been noticed.

no doubt, this has got to be one of the lowest priority bug reports in the whole of ever - but well, I still find it amusingly odd that it is that way

13 hours ago, 2204happy said:

The celestial body used to be called Mun

But I realised 1.3 changed this to The Mun.

It was "the Mun since at least contracts entered the game. Might have even been in the Mun's description since before that time, but I couldn't tell you definitively. Either way, it's been "the Mun" canonically for quite some time.

I see no problem thinking that the Kerbals would call all satellites "Muns" and the one "Mun" that they knew from ancient times is "The Mun"

And I have pronounced it exactly like I pronounce "Moon" since day one, and refuse to believe that any other pronunciation exists. :D

8 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

// Fix Mun name bug.
@Kopernicus:NEEDS[Kopernicus]
{
	@Body[Mun]
	{
		@Properties
		{
			displayName = Mun
		}
	}
}

MM patch.  Needs Kopernicus.

Why? Why not Just change the tag.

12 hours ago, Ty Tan Tu said:

I wonder if it has to do with the language pact. Is it possible that the definite article is required in some languages and just to make it consistent, they added it to the English langue version too?

Correct.

9 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

It is related to localization, but it's not clear that it was a deliberate change as opposed to the easiest thing for SQUAD to implement.

In 1.2, there was a property called CelestialBody.theName which would return "the Mun" and "the Sun" for those bodies but simply "Duna" or "Kerbin" for everything else. This was convenient for building grammatical sentences about them; in the middle of a sentence you can use theName as-is, and at the beginning you can capitalize the first letter, and you'll have a proper sentence for every planet. This property was removed in 1.3, presumably because it was too specific to English, and a capitalized definite article was baked into the English names for those bodies:

#autoLOC_910035 = The Mun^N
		#autoLOC_910053 = The Sun^N

... which meant that using it in the middle of a sentence is now ungrammatical in English. This was pointed out during the 1.2.9 pre-release but not addressed:

These bug reports are still active. Are known. And are prioritised appropriately. They are not forgotten or ignored. You simply have to weigh up all the business priorities and bug reports - along with such bugs impact on the game and prioritise resources appropriately.

21 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

These bug reports are still active. Are known. And are prioritised appropriately. They are not forgotten or ignored. You simply have to weigh up all the business priorities and bug reports - along with such bugs impact on the game and prioritise resources appropriately.

You could plaster this all over the forum and it wouldn't make a difference.

7 minutes ago, regex said:

Well with all that said. I do believe this has been addressed for 1.3.1. But I would need to confirm that and currently not near my PC. So don't quote me on it.

2 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

2 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

Well with all that said. I do believe this has been addressed for 1.3.1. But I would need to confirm that and currently not near my PC. So don't quote me on it.

Cool, thanks for the update. I didn't say they were forgotten or ignored though, just that they weren't addressed in the pre-release, which was factually correct as far as I knew.

2 hours ago, regex said:

Make a difference in what? How often bug"feedback" reports are linked on the forum?

Edited by HebaruSan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.