Vessel Manager

I think most players run in to issue managing vessels when you go deeper in to career mode. Solution seems simple, allow players to create their own categories and sub categories and place vessels in to categories. Making this visible in map view and tracking station.

Current categorization structure becomes unmanageable very quickly, and it is very annoying to keep looking for that vessel you put in orbit of ike and just cant find it.

At least allow separate categorization via orbiting body, ie - select Duna and show vessels only relating to Duna in their respective categories, or select Ike and see only relevant vessels.

Additionally I think you should be able to create thumbnail for your vessel and have it appear in map and tracking station if vessel is selected, so you can easily identify it visually. This opens the ability to identify and even rename and re-categorize vessels from tracking station. 

So here are my suggestions to the point.

1) When in map or tracking station, player can open category interface and add categories, vessels could be droped in to category or subcategory. For example, I can create category called Communications Network, and then create sub category for Jool then place some communications satellites that are in Jools SOF in that category. I can also disable whole category from being displayed on the map, so these satellites do not interfere with orbital maneuver planing, but they can be found quickly when needed. I think this level of control for player in required for career mode to truly develop.

2) Taking picture of the vessel and making that available in Map and tracking station view, ability to take screenshot that disables interface and ties the photo to given vessel. This photo can then be seen in map and tracking station view for easy identification.

On 7/8/2017 at 0:49 PM, Tyko said:

great idea...while they're at it they could make the same category system work in the VAB/SPH so you could assign designs to certain missions / destinations.

Absolutely, VAB needs better management as well. 

While I haven't played much, only about a month in, I can see this being a good thing.  I'm already planning on putting a station and base into orbit around, and on, all the planets/moons as one of my career goals.  With that much stuff in space, a better way to manage it would be ideal.  Even if not by category, maybe just by the body it's on/around? 

For those of you willing and able to install utility mods to accomplish this, may I interest you in these?

(No one has commented whether Haystack works in KSP 1.3)

and for good measure, a VAB autosave mod:

Edited by JadeOfMaar

• 1 month later...

Thank you JadeOfMaar for providing links to existing modes, I tested all of them and must say they they are not up to the task, that I need. which is to manage vessels already in orbits and on missions.

I still think this is not plugin territory, this is core gameplay and must be part of the game to make it usable. 

I am at 83 vessels in my campaign managing multiple ongoing long contracts and I hate the game... impossible to play 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.