Mr.  Sandman

Help fixing a mod (Constellation)

32 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I'm trying to get to Mars in RSS/RO with an heavy ship , insipired by the Constellation program from NASA (2005-2009) and the only mod that gives the BNTR (Bimodal Nuclear Thermal Rocket) engines is way outdated and all the links are broken(mod name : Constellation Essentials).I luckily got the parts from Winged, but they are made for 1.1.3 and I'd like to use them in 1.2.2.The only part that works (1 out of 4 parts) is the engine mount for the BNTRs.

I don't know much about modding/fixing ,so I gently ask someone that understands coding and Module Manager to help me.Thanks!

Constellation Essentials parts here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yyrs766kcqmd8wg/AACJDLpj2QnMoRmIrsNEq3s3a?dl=0

 

Part demonstation:

 

Edited by Mr. Sandman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Edit: Found a "patch note" for the engines made by someone , but I have no idea on how to use it.

}
}
@MODULE[ModuleGenerator]
{
@OUTPUT_RESOURCE[nuclearWaste]
{
@name = DepU235Rods
}
@OUTPUT_RESOURCE[nuclearFuel]
{
@name = U235Rods
}
}
@RESOURCE[nuclearFuel]
{
@name = U235Rods
}
@RESOURCE[nuclearWaste]
{
@name = DepU235Rods
}
}
@PART[bahars68b]
{
@MODULE[ModuleEngineConfigs]
{
@CONFIG[LiquidH2+LiquidOxygen]
{
@PROPELLANT[LiquidH2]
{
@name = LqdHydrogen
}
@PROPELLANT[LiquidOxygen]
{
@name = LqdOxygen
}
}
}
}

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All so if your using the file you posted your missing 2 cfgs

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, MeCripp said:

All so if your using the file you posted your missing 2 cfgs

Yeah I noticed that.That's the file Winged gave me (since the main thread of Constellation Essentials has broken links).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MeCripp & @Mr. Sandman: i had created a repository for these parts but i removed them since the parts were readily available. Seems that it would be a nice idea to resurrect it and update the parts (since RO also has support for it and the parts are mostly unique among other mods).

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

@MeCripp & @Mr. Sandman: i had created a repository for these parts but i removed them since the parts were readily available. Seems that it would be a nice idea to resurrect it and update the parts (since RO also has support for it and the parts are mostly unique among other mods).

I would fix the mods for 1.2.2 and 1.3 , but I know nothing on modding and MM patching , so I just put this here hoping someone fixes it. :I

Also , WInged game me some parts , but as @MeCripp said , some of them are missing.

Edited by Mr. Sandman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Phineas Freak said:

@Mr. Sandman OK, give me some time and i will do a quick & dirty update.

Sure , take your time.As I can see you're a RSS/RO/RP-0 collaborator , so I believe you have lots of things to do other than fixing a mod just because I asked.But by the way , thanks a lot , I really appreciate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No problem! This is actually one of the first mods that i ever used (back in my stock KSP days) and also configured for RO so it has a special place in my mod (and support) list. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

No problem! This is actually one of the first mods that i ever used (back in my stock KSP days) and also configured for RO so it has a special place in my mod (and support) list. :D

Yeah they would be a nice addition to the part list on the main thread of Realism Overhaul!

Edited by Mr. Sandman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

OK, repository is live: https://github.com/PhineasFreak/ConstellationEssentials

Note to stock KSP users: the parts have been rescaled to better fit other "stock" parts (5 m for the structural Copernicus parts and 6.25 m for the Ares V engine mount) but the overall stats (inert masses, thrust/Isp values) have not been adjusted yet. Since i have absolutely no idea of how to balance the parts for stock KSP i'd like for someone to take a look at them and take a stab on it.

Edit: also, the parts are compatible with any previous craft files (part names were preserved) and are compatible with RO (the RO configs are part of the official RO distributions).

Edited by Phineas Freak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Phineas Freak said:

OK, repository is live: https://github.com/PhineasFreak/ConstellationEssentials

Note to stock KSP users: the parts have been rescaled to better fit other "stock" parts (5 m for the structural Copernicus parts and 6.25 m for the Ares V engine mount) but the overall stats (inert masses, thrust/Isp values) have not been adjusted yet. Since i have absolutely no idea of how to balance the parts for stock KSP i'd like for someone to take a look at them and take a stab on it.

That was fast!Thanks a lot for fixing those old (but unique) parts.Is Constellation Essentials going to be updated (on the CE thread) or is it going on the main thread of RO?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Mr. Sandman Since the original CE thread is now locked the best bet would be to create a new thread about it. RO, as i note, has it's own support for them via MM patches so we only need to update the RO OP and add it to the "supported list" (if it is not already included).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Phineas Freak said:

@Mr. Sandman Since the original CE thread is now locked the best bet would be to create a new thread about it. RO, as i note, has it's own support for them via MM patches so we only need to update the RO OP and add it to the "supported list" (if it is not already included).

Yeah the RO way looks better and up to date , but I would leave a message on the CE thread (maybe asking a moderator to let someone do so) saying that the 1.2.2/1.3 fixed version is now supported on the main thread of RO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea, as i see it is not on the suggested list. I'll leave a note to the RO thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are they really outdated? I tested bntr and rs68 in 1.2 and they worked fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, winged said:

Are they really outdated? I tested bntr and rs68 in 1.2 and they worked fine. 

There was something to fix on the Real Fuels stuff and sadly some files were missing , now it should be okay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

@winged Not per se for RO because i replaced 90% of the part config to make it compatible with RO and fix some bugs with the modules. They were broken for stock though (gimbal modules and RealFuels ModuleEngineConfigs were outdated and incompatible). And the fact that they went MIA (fortunately i keep an archive with most of the "old" mods).

Edited by Phineas Freak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Bottle Rocketeer 500 Thank you! Do also check the sizing since IIRC the original diameter of the Copernicus parts was 3.75 m and i have increased it to 5 m (no idea if it makes sense for stock).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Phineas Freak I'll keep it 3.75m for stock, for less non stock diameter, but I think that it was probably 37.5m

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Phineas Freak I've rebalanced all of the engine values in my fork, and I've noticed that the RS-68Bs are OP, but you can't throttle them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Bottle Rocketeer 500 Open a PR and i can take a look at it. That's weird though since the ModuleEngines module does not define a "throttleLocked" field and the min/max thrust values are different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

I meant not fully throttlable.

Of course they are not. These parts were created for RSS/RO and not stock KSP. It is expected that the minimum throttle will not be zero and that's why i am asking for someone to tweak the stats (mass, thrust, Isp) so that the parts will be usable by stock KSP players.

If i was a bad person i could easily decide not to seek/accept any balance requests for stock but every KSP player has the right to play with them, not only RSS/RO/RP-0 players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now