Limit the Location Field

klesh

Is it possible to set a reasonable character limit to the Location field of our profiles? 

I realize it can be used for fun and to give a little personal flair to your account, but there are a few posters who shall remain nameless that are, in my opinion, abusing the seemingly infinite character capacity of the current location field.  This results in a Location listing (for a particular user) that is 17 rows long, more often than not longer than the actual content of their posts.  Another user's location field is 26(!) rows long.  Its annoying.

Rather than setting the poster to ignore (I'm certainly open to reading their quality posts), and not being able to turn off viewing of that portion of an account (the way you can turn off signatures) is it possible to limit the characters in that field?

Thanks!

Edited by klesh

Just to illustrate how obnoxious a one-line reply with a 26-line location field looks on the Kerbal Space Program Forums:

4wEeUFz.png

Well, you're not lying, Red.  I just checked another Invision Power Services, Inc board and indeed there is no limit there either:

DFdnlMv.png

Edited by klesh
tested another Invision Power Services board.

10 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Turns out I was mistaken, though. I've turned on a length limit for the location field, give it a try now.

Oh wow, hey, thats service!  I just gave it a go and the longest it can get now is 7 lines which looks good.  Its long enough for a campy entry for flair, but isn't offputtingly long by any stretch of the imagination.  Thanks!

I might have to pm you for the method if the fellas over at the DayZ forums don't know how to limit the field.   Thanks again.  :kiss:

Edited by klesh

19 hours ago, John FX said:

I came here to start a thread about this so I will join this one.

If there is a limit, it only affects new locations.

Old, long locations are still displayed.

Software limitation, I'm afraid. Changes to these sorts of things only get applied when the content is updated, same goes for the profanity filter and the acronym hints. 

2 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Software limitation, I'm afraid. Changes to these sorts of things only get applied when the content is updated, same goes for the profanity filter and the acronym hints. 

I thought as much but I thought I would mention it, at least the next person who comes along will (in theory) read this and have an answer.

Thanks for stopping any more.

3 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Not a matter of UPDATE user SET location=LEFT(location, 50) ? :D

Edited by Kerbart
Because posting through mobile devices... is not optimal.

23 hours ago, John FX said:

I came here to start a thread about this so I will join this one.

If there is a limit, it only affects new locations.

Old, long locations are still displayed.

I noticed that too, but I already had those folks on ignore so I decided not to complain too much. :wink:

imho location we're bound too are often too small, wich tend to restrict our sight of things out of this/thoose/that location(s) ... but well ... [insert some boring historical & evolve wall of text stuff] 2cp

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.