Rover won't go south.

Why does this rover not want to go south?  It does just fine in any direction, but south.  Is this the same reason the stock landing gear haven't worked right since 1.0?  Even the rovers won't stay straight.

Edited by Alshain

Don't know how your compass is different from mine but it goes south pretty well. It looks like it doesn't want to go EAST. In fact, when you try to go east it turns south instead.

From the video it seems that it has trouble going east, not south. This is shown by the 90 on the compass and the direction of the runway.

From some testing, the problem seems to be caused by the Probodobodyne Rovemate being upside down. 

SAvzzSL.png

I created this test rover here and it turns by itself when the 90 is at the top of the nav ball, going forwards or backwards. It works fine when controlled from the docking port on the front.

For the first 16 seconds or so I only touched W and S on the keyboard. Then I switched control to the docking port to show it working normally.

An interesting thing I noticed is that due to the Rovemate's orientation, the 90 is at the top of the nav ball when the rover is facing west, as opposed to east in @Alshain's video.

Edited by Jas0n

Ever notice when you pick the RoveMate in the spaceplane hangar that it sits on its front end? Its normal orientation is flat side facing prograde. Since this doesn't work for your typical rover, the navball is weird.

The usual fix seems to be to place a control point of some kind where 'prograde' should be, then pick 'control from here' before driving the rover. That control point can be another smaller probe, such as the OKTO2 or QBE, a junior docking port, or a command seat. Interestingly, putting command seats on the top of the RoveMate facing prograde, and then putting a kerbal in one, would be enough to have the correct orientation.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.