Kerbalized SpaceX

44 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

Very lovely indeed, is there a cargo version of the BFR and how do you drop cargo down?

There will be a cargo version, but it is not finished as now. Here is a pic of what I have planned for the cargo version. The inside is hollowed out just slightly to allow a little extra space. Its going to take me a little while to figure out how to get this animation exported correctly into unity. I have yet to be able to successfully export multiple animations, where the animations have more than one part that moves. Its simple if its multiple animations with single parts. 

37711910282_269c2e8f3c_b.jpg

Took the 3.75m BFR on a test flight in 2.5x kerbin. Made it to orbit with a booster landing, did a lunar flyby with just barely not enough fuel to land at the end. Full scale BFR ripped apart on the pad with autostrut its so big. Had to autostrut the launchclamps. but 12m BFR can into space.

Edited by Kerbal01

12 minutes ago, Kerbal01 said:

Took the 3.75m BFR on a test flight in 2.5x kerbin. Made it to orbit with a booster landing, did a lunar flyby with just barely not enough fuel to land at the end. Full scale BFR ripped apart on the pad with autostrut its so big. Had to autostrut the launchclamps. but 12m BFR can into space.

Awesome. I haven't tried it out with auto strut. I use kerbal joint reinforcement.

1 hour ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

Awesome. I haven't tried it out with auto strut. I use kerbal joint reinforcement.

Can 2 BFR's be docked together with the Dragon 2 docking ports?

edit: some of the 3.75m BFR parts aren't showing up when you search for BFR, the main engines and the docking port.

Edited by Kerbal01

22 hours ago, Grand Ship Builder said:

In b4 someone straps a kerbal to the side of the open bay and closes it.

Yes. I meant to relabel it as the BFR(3.75) port. It really doesn't function how it was originally designed to do so on the V2 anymore. You can consider it the back port for the BFR 3.75 now

19 minutes ago, RaiderMan said:

*tilts head consideringly* struts? what struts? I know not what you speak of, are they edible?

Good One!

Ohh, so I believe I have the whole animations things sorted out. Thanks so much to @DECQ for the info. Its really simple. You export one of the parts with the animations separately- tah dah..... This means I can get to finishing the BFR cargo variation. Also it is now a top priority to get a parachute into the dragonv2 like the real one is designed. Has anyone ever seen a parachute integrated into another part? It doesn't seem like anything that should be to difficult. 

52 minutes ago, Kerbal01 said:

had to expend the booster and we can't get back, but: https://imgur.com/a/Pi5z0

The 3.75? I launched it yesterday and it seemed to need a little extra fuel in the booster. Did you refuel in orbit?

I haven't tested much with the 3.75 but the 7.5m bfr will indeed have enough fuel for return if your refuel from an elliptical orbit around kerbin. It will take at least two rendezvous to refuel it, so you will need to plan ahead. I left with my apoasis about 90degrees in front of the moon. Launched both refueling crafts the next orbit and had to launch to the nub immediately to rendezvous in time.

Edited by harrisjosh2711

2 hours ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

Yes. I meant to relabel it as the BFR(3.75) port. It really doesn't function how it was originally designed to do so on the V2 anymore. You can consider it the back port for the BFR 3.75 now

You quoted the wrong person, I think.

3 hours ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

The 3.75? I launched it yesterday and it seemed to need a little extra fuel in the booster. Did you refuel in orbit?

I haven't tested much with the 3.75 but the 7.5m bfr will indeed have enough fuel for return if your refuel from an elliptical orbit around kerbin. It will take at least two rendezvous to refuel it, so you will need to plan ahead. I left with my apoasis about 90degrees in front of the moon. Launched both refueling crafts the next orbit and had to launch to the nub immediately to rendezvous in time.

No on orbit refuel, I expended the booster. 572 m/s left in the tank, should I risk it?

edit: risked it, miserable failure.

Edited by Kerbal01

15 hours ago, Kerbal01 said:

No on orbit refuel, I expended the booster. 572 m/s left in the tank, should I risk it?

edit: risked it, miserable failure.

Yea, that tank will come with a lil extra fuel next update. I had to drop the booster with around 600ms on the 3.75 version. I would prefer somewhere around 1100ms. That's about where the 7.5 version needs to be decoupled for a safe return