Kerbalized SpaceX

2 hours ago, RaiderMan said:

I take it from that screen..that you're building in parachutes?

Yes, I am making an attempt at building in parachutes at least. I'm not sure if it is going to work though. What has me worried is parachutes are staged, but so also are the engines on the pod. Can a object have multiple different stages? I have no clue. I'm pretty positive I have never seen that before so I'm leaning towards a no, but that doesn't mean I wont give it a try.

look to bluedog's apollo, the nose cone is a docking port/parachute mount. the parachutes are a separate part that plugs into the nose cone part on the apollo. try that, model in a set of slots, then model the parachutes as separate parts with a required automatic symmetry to match the slots in the dragon.

42 minutes ago, RaiderMan said:

look to bluedog's apollo, the nose cone is a docking port/parachute mount. the parachutes are a separate part that plugs into the nose cone part on the apollo. try that, model in a set of slots, then model the parachutes as separate parts with a required automatic symmetry to match the slots in the dragon.

I was considering something along those lines, ill look into it. 

Turns out it indeed cannot have two stages though. Not without writing some sort of plugin that is. I have it working now. The chute deploys when you light the engines. 

Edited by harrisjosh2711

6 minutes ago, Grand Ship Builder said:

Maybe make the parachutes a separate part, like a thin band that  can be placed inside the shroud.

That would make it easier but could potentially present an issue with the node for the docking port. I'm going to try my best to get what I have working first because I already invested the time to do it that way. But that will likely be my contingency plan.

4 minutes ago, Grand Ship Builder said:

I like how you used landing legs for the booster whereas you didn't for the space ship, even though it's vice versa in real life.

I highly recommend you using landing legs on both if you plan on re-using them, which I do highly recommend (I use FMRS for re-usability). Unless you of course you can land your rocket back on the launch pad efficiently and reliably like spaceX plans to do so with the BFR. In which case you should probably like apply for a job with them or something.......

1 hour ago, Transformatron said:

Can You add a trunk for the normal dragon?

Welcome to the forums!

Yes, coming soon. Have a lot to do but I already have the trunk, panel covers, and solar panels modeled. So its just down to texturing now.

Edited by harrisjosh2711

Thanks! Also, welcome to the forums. Sorry for the inconvenience but I don't answer the ETA question anymore. Its just to hard to give a concrete answer as it depends on what I have to do, in real life, and what I feel like doing in my free time. It could be tomorrow, it could be two weeks from now. I suppose the best answer is when its done. I generally switch frequently between what I'm working on, as to not get burned out on any one item. Which makes it even more difficult to gauge an ETA. With that said, the BFR cargo is of the top priority to finish.... all that is left is modeling a small interior for the fairing, which I have already started.... so very soon!. Also, feel free to ask about or give your input on anything you may see I'm actively working on, I would be happy to share where I'm at in terms of development.

Edited by harrisjosh2711

No go on that. #1) 2 much drag 2)not how real bfr is designed 3) weighs 2 much for any aerodynamic engine like super dracos.

you know bad things always happen when you accidentally press space bar. Don't put that evil on me:wink:

Edited by harrisjosh2711