Kerbalized SpaceX

17 minutes ago, Oneiros said:

Are you aware there may be legal issues regarding your use of the spacex logo and virtual copies of their designs? I hope you got their approval for this.

Not to be a nark because this mod looks great. It just worries me a little.

I consider it descriptive use of the logo and designs which does fall under trademark law as fair use. Essentially, I'm just describing how SpaceX's products work not using the logo to indicate a separate source of products. I have posted a pic to Elon's twitter before and I haven't gotten a cease and desist notice yet so........ cross my fingers.......

Edited by harrisjosh2711

5 minutes ago, Oneiros said:

Oh ok cool. I guess it would all change if you started selling your mod. Makes sense.

Yep. I would be facing law suits from several entities if I tried to sell it. I don't believe mods should cost money though. In my mind, that's not what modding is about.

Edited by harrisjosh2711

• 1 month later...

Well good to see this thread opened back up, couldn't figure out why it was closed in the first place. Problem is none of the links are working and spacedock seems to be down at the moment to get the latest 1.33 release. Ckan shows it but can't connect to get it.

16 minutes ago, MikeO89 said:

Well good to see this thread opened back up, couldn't figure out why it was closed in the first place. Problem is none of the links are working and spacedock seems to be down at the moment to get the latest 1.33 release. Ckan shows it but can't connect to get it.

Yea spacedock has been down since I came to life today. Ill put the links back up on the first page and you can download from curse if you are installing manually. If you are installing CKAN you will have to wait until spacedock comes back online. I closed the thread because I was working on my own website. It got held back due to funding issues and now do to sheer laziness. I opened this forum back up because thanks to the new falcon heavy launch on Feb 6 the number of users to this mod has vastly increased, so I figured it only fair.

11 minutes ago, MikeO89 said:

What's new in 1.33?

Re-structured files- must do a fresh install of mod, Retractable falcon heavy radial decoupler, falcon heavy interstage decoupler(2 versions), falcon fairing & fairing base, Side boosters for FH(2 versions), FH nosecone. Ill post some new picks from the new update shortly on the first page. The download sites already have them.

Edited by harrisjosh2711

11 minutes ago, MikeO89 said:

You say must do a fresh install of mod. Using ckan to update, does it do this?

Yes CKAN will do this.

11 minutes ago, eskimo22 said:

@harrisjosh2711 What do you think of the fuel numbers for the BFR that I sent you?

That sounds cool! Not sure what fuel numbers your talking about though as I haven't received anything from you that I know of. When and how did you send it? I will certainly check them out- I wont be able to work on the mod again till this weekend though. I hope I have time then, Its a very busy semester at school.

36 minutes ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

Yes CKAN will do this.

That sounds cool! Not sure what fuel numbers your talking about though as I haven't received anything from you that I know of. When and how did you send it? I will certainly check them out- I wont be able to work on the mod again till this weekend though. I hope I have time then, Its a very busy semester at school.

around 1 or two weeks ago. the units were, 25955.6 LF and 31723.5 OX for a scaled down 5.5m BFR, equivalent to a kerbal fuel tank of similar size, (to be completely accurate it should be ~10% more due to propellant densification)

Edited by eskimo22

5 minutes ago, eskimo22 said:

around 1 or two weeks ago. the units were, 25955.6 LF and 31723.5 OX for a scaled down 5.5m BFR, equivalent to a kerbal fuel tank of similar size, (to be completely accurate it should be slightly more due to propellant densification)

I will check those numbers out soon. Sorry I looked over that. 

18 minutes ago, eskimo22 said:

the units for a 7.5m BFR ship (BFS) would be 65815.2 LF and 80440.9 OX

I know how to stack a stock tank to estimate fuel levels. Is that what you are doing? I told you the fuel in the bfr is unrelated to its size. But related to delta v. You are giving me fuel numbers and not twr and delta v. Can the bfr launch with 150 tons payload and that much fuel in the current configuration??? How far will it go with that amount of fuel? You must not have enough fuel to land and launch from the mun without refueling in orbit. You must only have enough fuel to land on duna when leaving kerbin orbit with full tanks. If I put that amount of fuel in the bfr it won’t pass a single one of those checks. Answer these questions while you determine what the fuel should be. The only way I can do what you want is to downscale the bfr until it’s fuel amounts match it’s size. That’s not the direction I chose to go with mod. Im pretty sure this is the fourth time I have tried to discuss this with you but you keep coming back with the same thing?

7 minutes ago, eskimo22 said:

The units for a 9m (Human) scale BFS would be 113728.7 LF and 139001.9 OX

You won’t have to worry about the fuel numbers in the real scale stuff. The tanks will hold more fuel than a stock tank (call it fuel density).

26 minutes ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

I know how to stack a stock tank to estimate fuel levels. Is that what you are doing? I told you the fuel in the bfr is unrelated to its size. But related to delta v. You are giving me fuel numbers and not twr and delta v. Can the bfr launch with 150 tons payload and that much fuel in the current configuration??? How far will it go with that amount of fuel? You must not have enough fuel to land and launch from the mun without refueling in orbit. You must only have enough fuel to land on duna when leaving kerbin orbit with full tanks. If I put that amount of fuel in the bfr it won’t pass a single one of those checks. Answer these questions while you determine what the fuel should be. The only way I can do what you want is to downscale the bfr until it’s fuel amounts match it’s size. That’s not the direction I chose to go with mod. Im pretty sure this is the fourth time I have tried to discuss this with you but you keep coming back with the same thing?

You won’t have to worry about the fuel numbers in the real scale stuff. The tanks will hold more fuel than a stock tank (call it fuel density).

The BFR (my rescaled and modified version) can haul 150t into LKO and have sufficient fuel to return with ease, although the liftoff TWR is lower than a real BFR. The BFR can go to Duna carrying a large payload or crew with orbital refueling in less than 200 days (each Kerbin day is 6 hours). I used procedural tanks to estimate the volume of the BFR tanks (I have not taken densification into account in the numbers I sent you).

Edited by eskimo22

26 minutes ago, Kilo60 said:

Love this mod!

However where is the heat shield and decoupler for the smaller, crewed Dragon Capsule?

I only have a heat shield and decoupler ring for the larger Dragon Capsule in my parts list...

Thanks!

Tundra Exploration has a better Dragon 2 for stockalike players, although Kerbalized SpaceX (JNH) has a better BFR (because of tweakscale, and IMO it looks better)

@harrisjosh2711Does @mrtagnan have the new BFR RealPlume Configs yet?, they were especially beautiful on the first stage.

Edited by eskimo22

1 hour ago, eskimo22 said:

The BFR (my rescaled and modified version) can haul 150t into LKO and have sufficient fuel to return with ease, although the liftoff TWR is lower than a real BFR. The BFR can go to Duna carrying a large payload or crew with orbital refueling in less than 200 days (each Kerbin day is 6 hours). I used procedural tanks to estimate the volume of the BFR tanks (I have not taken densification into account in the numbers I sent you).

If you have plenty of fuel to return than you should try seeing if you have enough delta v for 200 or even 250 tons. 

On a technical basis, have you taken into account that the bfr uses methalox fuel which has an entire different density than rp1? I haven’t really looked into the density of methane but I believe it’s less dense than RP-1 meaning you need more tank space to carry the same amount of fuel.

i suppose what it comes down to is I KNOW the BFR is currently far to overpowered. But you are telling me it should be more powerful? I just don’t get it man. I understand that according to the size of the tank there should more fuel but if add more fuel I only make the problem worse. So in mind any suggestion to change the fuel has to included changes in thrust, isp, & dry mass as well. I mean, I designed the thing from a cylinder. I drew it’s textures. I tested and wrote it’s configs. I balanced it. Nobody knows this bfr better than I do. In all honesty I don’t get much time to actually play the game but last time I flew the bfr the only thing I could think of was I need to figure out a way to nerf the power on this thing.

if anyone thinks the bfr should be more powerful put in a word for eskimo22. If you agree with me and think the bfr could stand to loose some power just don’t say anything and let me be in peace:cool: please do click like if you are as tired of this same  old conversation as I am. I find myself repeating myself over and over saying the same thing but somehow I keep expecting an different outcome....????? 

2 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

Love this mod!

However where is the heat shield and decoupler for the smaller, crewed Dragon Capsule?

I only have a heat shield and decoupler ring for the larger Dragon Capsule in my parts list...

Thanks!

Thanks man! At the moment I don't have a heat shield for the 2.5m dragon sorry about that. I will keep that in mind in the future. I'm a little fuzzy on the direction this mod is currently headed so I cant give any specific details but I will do something to address that.

The 7.5m BFR should stay, because SpaceX In real life plans on making bigger versions in the future (cough cough ITS cough). The 5.5m BFR would be an addition to the mod, not a replacement for the 7.5m BFR.

Edited by eskimo22