Kerbalized SpaceX

1 minute ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

A 90 degree hatch version? Could you clarify a bit? At any rate, I spent a lot of yesterday working on the interior for that pod. I plan on making some changes to the exterior today- so get back to me,

Can you please try to make the windows that @CobaltWolf said the stock windows were, in his post in "KSP Weekly-The 9th Planet", which states the following:

That's an... interesting compromise. Personally I would have liked to see some more work put into the parachute module, to make it support multiple chutes in a single part. :)

One thing that does jump out to me (and this is a major pet peeve of mine) - the color of the windows is too blue, while as of (I believe) 1.1 all the stock windows were updated to be a consistent (or nearly consistent) pale, grayish teal. Specifically, 4f6a72, with a faint black gradient coming in from the edges. I'd like to see the Making History parts follow this, to keep a consistent design language for all the parts. Considering this is the only update the older parts have received in terms of their art assets since being added...

@Bottle Rocketeer 500 yeah I will do something for the windows. Texturing is my least favorite part of the whole ordeal. This thing is a huge project as well. Ill post some pics in a few minutes. I think it has some 34 seats, a living section, Eight engines, RCS. I want to build an add on trunk that will serve as an extension to make it appear a bit more like the ITS. I have already built an early concept.

8 minutes ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

Where are you returning from that fast? Is it a scaled-up kerbol system mod?

I play Real Solar System a lot. Once you step out into that vast abyss- the kerbol system just seems to small:rolleyes:

Edit: That's Earth, if you played, orbital velocity is -give or take- around 8400 m/s

Edited by harrisjosh2711

2 hours ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

A 90 degree hatch version? Could you clarify a bit? At any rate, I spent a lot of yesterday working on the interior for that pod. I plan on making some changes to the exterior today- so get back to me,

@Bottle Rocketeer 500 You are still on that subject?!?!?!:cool: In All seriousness, I told you the plans a few PM's ago as to the scale of the pod.

first off it would be good to know if you are aiming at Stock or RSS compatibility ?

you have scaled your pod to 3.7m, which is fine for RSS/Realistic Scale but too big for Kerbal Stock (not a big deal tho as it can be rescaled on the fly if someone wishes)

I compare it to CxAerospace Station Parts which are supposed to mimic the ISS and with your scale it is the same diamater as the Unity Node (which in real life is 4.5m diameter)

For a Scale-Down to 2,5m the problem arises with the beveled top below the Nose Cover, no docking port really fits there properly - perhaps just make a flat top to accomodate all 3rd Party Docking ports ?

Or create a recess there as in renderings by SpaceX ?

You might take a look at Tundra Exploration how it was handled by them (or Laztek even)

The "90 Degree port hatch" is just nitpicking, you have answered it already, you have chosen to open the hatch to the side, your perogative :wink:

I have been enjoying playing with my new V2 the past few days. This is my new lunar transporter I built in the VAB (completely reusable) docked to its refueling station. The Dragonv2 is launched into orbit by a falcon 9 rocket, where it then is intercepted by the transporter. At which point the two dock together- by way of the new docking port which extends from around the outside of the heatshiled- and launch to the moon. I have yet to figure out how to safely land on the moon and return to the transporter during the journey. I'm thinking ISRU with some kind of booster extension that can connect to the bottom of the pod???? It will need enough fuel to get into orbit and rendezvous with the transporter. You cant use the Dragon V2's boosters because you will need them to land back safely at home. Any ideas? I'm going to build something to allow this.

36317140095_21ab089d2b_b.jpg

36274439536_0b66b41c95_b.jpg

A lot of the parts in these picture are either stock or near future stuff.

43 minutes ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

I tried playing RO once, built a beautiful rocket, and it couldn't even take off.

Lol, we have all had that happen- many times over! I'm playing with Jimbodiahs simple RSS patch at the moment. It works pretty well. Especially if you don't want to deal with all the mods and incompatibilities that come with RO. Don't get me wrong I love RO as well. It just hasn't been updated and I cant get past the loading screen without crashing in 1.2.2. 

41 minutes ago, Jasseji said:

first off it would be good to know if you are aiming at Stock or RSS compatibility ?

you have scaled your pod to 3.7m, which is fine for RSS/Realistic Scale but too big for Kerbal Stock (not a big deal tho as it can be rescaled on the fly if someone wishes)

I compare it to CxAerospace Station Parts which are supposed to mimic the ISS and with your scale it is the same diamater as the Unity Node (which in real life is 4.5m diameter)

For a Scale-Down to 2,5m the problem arises with the beveled top below the Nose Cover, no docking port really fits there properly - perhaps just make a flat top to accomodate all 3rd Party Docking ports ?

Or create a recess there as in renderings by SpaceX ?

You might take a look at Tundra Exploration how it was handled by them (or Laztek even)

The "90 Degree port hatch" is just nitpicking, you have answered it already, you have chosen to open the hatch to the side, your perogative :wink:

Although I generally play RSS I would like to keep the capsule compatible mostly with stock. I can edit anything I need to meet my needs. This pod will not be getting re-scaled in any updates, the 3.7 is final. I think it will fall in a lot better once the making history parts expansion is released. What me and @Bottle Rocketeer 500 discussed was if the kraken from the upcoming superluminal mod isn't 2.5 in scale, then I would create another Dragon v2 like pod 2.5 in scale. I actually already have a little work done into it. That by no means is a promise I will finish it though. 

9 minutes ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

choosing mods which aren't unnecessary, yet realistic enough can take me days. 

Tell me about it! Installing mods for a new kerbal save is a half day affair.

4 minutes ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

Although I generally play RSS I would like to keep the capsule compatible mostly with stock. I can edit anything I need to meet my needs. This pod will not be getting re-scaled in any updates, the 3.7 is final. I think it will fall in a lot better once the making history parts expansion is released. What me and @Bottle Rocketeer 500 discussed was if the kraken from the upcoming superluminal mod isn't 2.5 in scale, then I would create another Dragon v2 like pod 2.5 in scale. I actually already have a little work done into it. That by no means is a promise I will finish it though. 

Tell me about it! Installing mods for a new kerbal save is a half day affair.

so, flat top then and let people re-scale it ? :D

10 minutes ago, Jasseji said:

so, flat top then and let people re-scale it ? :D

You know, I haven't really considered what your were asking because I haven't re-scaled it. You are saying that once you re-scale the pod a docking port wont fit under the nosecone right, so it needs a flat top? If so, that is an unforeseen problem. No, I'm not sure what that solution will be yet, but it will not be to remove the nosecone and make it flat.

Edited by harrisjosh2711

7 minutes ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

You know, I haven't really considered what your were asking because I haven't re-scaled it. You are saying that once you re-scale the pod a docking port wont fit under the nosecone right, so it needs a flat top? If so, that is an unforeseen problem. No, I'm not sure what that solution will be yet, but it will not be to remove the nosecone and make it flat.

no i mean the grey bulge below the nosecone -if that would be flattened then the problem is gone

8 minutes ago, Jasseji said:

no i mean the grey bulge below the nosecone -if that would be flattened then the problem is gone

Ah, Got you. You were saying you believe that some type of indention could fix it as well? Removing the bulge or adding an indention could both be options, if so. Yes, I will do something about this. Have you been re-sizing it to the .65 scale I suggested? If not what re-scale value are u using?

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Edited by harrisjosh2711

Just now, harrisjosh2711 said:

Ah, Got you. You were saying you believe that some type of indention could fix it as well? Removing the bulge or adding an indention could both be options, if so. Yes, I will do something about this. Have you been re-sizing it to the .65 scale I suggested? If not what re-scale value are u using?

.66 but .65 would make only a small difference - the indentation would work only with APAS - type docking ports though (like Cx Aerospace APAS or Bluedog CADS), others like NASA NDS will work only with a flat top

I am using a mix of mods, trying to pick best parts from all - i know the best bet to get rid of re-scale issues would be to switch to RO/RSS but then again Principia only works properly with the Stock System for now (n-body Gravity Mod) :D

3 minutes ago, Jasseji said:

.66 but .65 would make only a small difference - the indentation would work only with APAS - type docking ports though (like Cx Aerospace APAS or Bluedog CADS), others like NASA NDS will work only with a flat top

I am using a mix of mods, trying to pick best parts from all - i know the best bet to get rid of re-scale issues would be to switch to RO/RSS but then again Principia only works properly with the Stock System for now (n-body Gravity Mod) :D

This pod isn't set up for RO. I haven't gotten around to that yet. If any one would like to do that for me I would be extremely grateful. You have gotten  lucky though. I'm in unity, that piece is a separate game object- I deleted it and just exported it from unity. Ill put up a link before long as long as every thing is good.

26 minutes ago, Jasseji said:

BTW, you want to achieve something like this ?

Kw0C2yY.png

Going Orion style huh, nice! Something like that. I want to be able to land the pod on, say mon, well sure you can then re-fuel and take back off, If you can manage to get back into orbit. But, then you need fuel on your craft to refuel a second time, for the landing. I'm considering some type of circular solid fuel engine that would sit directly below the heat shield and would provide most the necessary boost to get back into orbit of a non-atmospheric planet. Ill put up a early model pretty soon. I'm open to ideas!

1 hour ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

I have been enjoying playing with my new V2 the past few days. This is my new lunar transporter I built in the VAB (completely reusable) docked to its refueling station. The Dragonv2 is launched into orbit by a falcon 9 rocket, where it then is intercepted by the transporter. At which point the two dock together- by way of the new docking port which extends from around the outside of the heatshiled- and launch to the moon. I have yet to figure out how to safely land on the moon and return to the transporter during the journey. I'm thinking ISRU with some kind of booster extension that can connect to the bottom of the pod???? It will need enough fuel to get into orbit and rendezvous with the transporter. You cant use the Dragon V2's boosters because you will need them to land back safely at home. Any ideas? I'm going to build something to allow this.

A lot of the parts in these picture are either stock or near future stuff.

Why you dont want to use the Pod's boosters for landing and takeoff ?

the concept i see here would be like this (Orion Style):

Main Stage (SLS) +  Upper Stage + Service Module + Dragon Pod

Main Stage gets you to a 150km parking orbit, maybe with a little nudge from the upper stage.

Upper Stage is used for Mun transfer, maybe SM to finalize circulation

Pod Lands, ascends, re-docks with SM and burns for re-entry, dragon takes the rest of the fuel from SM and land on Kerbin - trick is to tune the sizes of the upper stage and SM tanks to allow for this

@Jasseji here is a drop box link to a 2.5 sized version that has room to place a stock docking port. Replace your dragon2 folder with the one in here. I haven't done any testing with this other than what you see in the photos.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/30twxvqww4gqcni/DragonV22.5-master.zip?dl=0

36276956596_469c02ffb9_m.jpg35924641020_1b0f2e0e65_m.jpg

Edited by harrisjosh2711

Here is a Mission i just did using Sobol's SLS:

Pod was able to land on Mun and Take off no problems, then intercept the Loitering Service Module, burn back to return trajectory and safely land on Kerbin

Edited by Jasseji

1 hour ago, Jasseji said:

Why you dont want to use the Pod's boosters for landing and takeoff ?

the concept i see here would be like this (Orion Style):

Main Stage (SLS) +  Upper Stage + Service Module + Dragon Pod

Main Stage gets you to a 150km parking orbit, maybe with a little nudge from the upper stage.

Upper Stage is used for Mun transfer, maybe SM to finalize circulation

Pod Lands, ascends, re-docks with SM and burns for re-entry, dragon takes the rest of the fuel from SM and land on Kerbin - trick is to tune the sizes of the upper stage and SM tanks to allow for this

The problem there is I'm not using conventional engines to power my transporter. Its carrying Xenon. Also it never leaves space- it would cost far more to launch every time. Its my idea to provide an extremely cheap way to transport to the moon. You only need a rocket big enough to get your capsule into space. From there the transporter will pick you up and fly you to the moon. Keep in mind I'm playing in RSS so I need 8400 m/s. most my 2nd stage is spent getting into orbit. I save a little under a quarter tank on my boosters so I can turn them around and land them at KSP. Remember I'm developing this from a spaceX point perspective. 

12 minutes ago, Jasseji said:

Here is a Mission i just did using Sobol's SLS:

Album jtVow will appear when post is submitted

Pod was able to land on Mun and Take off no problems, then intercept the Loitering Service Module, burn back to return trajectory and safely land on Kerbin

The link doesn't work.

Edited by harrisjosh2711

Link corrected.

Hm, Ok, other way around, basically what you need is some kind of Transfer Vehicle to get you from Earth to Moon AND Back to a return Trajectory (with some juice to spare for re-insertion corrections) plus carrying enough Additional Fuel to Refuel the Pod for the Final Landing - the Pod itself should only carry enough Fuel to be able to land on the Moon and get back to the Orbiting Transfer Vehicle - at least in Stock it works, no matter how the Pod gets to the Transfer Vehicle in the first place (i have launched them together but i could have donr it seperately)

Edited by Jasseji

38 minutes ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

@Jasseji here is a drop box link to a 2.5 sized version that has room to place a stock docking port. Replace your dragon2 folder with the one in here. I haven't done any testing with this other than what you see in the photos.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/30twxvqww4gqcni/DragonV22.5-master.zip?dl=0

36276956596_469c02ffb9_m.jpg35924641020_1b0f2e0e65_m.jpg

Thank you, now works beatifully :)

TSxoO7j.png

EKwjhKq.png