Kerbalized SpaceX

1 hour ago, Jasseji said:

Link corrected.

Hm, Ok, other way around, basically what you need is some kind of Transfer Vehicle to get you from Earth to Moon AND Back to a return Trajectory (with some juice to spare for re-insertion corrections) plus carrying enough Additional Fuel to Refuel the Pod for the Final Landing - the Pod itself should only carry enough Fuel to be able to land on the Moon and get back to the Orbiting Transfer Vehicle - at least in Stock it works, no matter how the Pod gets to the Transfer Vehicle in the first place (i have launched them together but i could have donr it seperately)

I need to play around with it in stock. I play both, I just chose to go RSS this time around. In RSS you only have enough to land. Now we are seeing eye to eye. The "plus carrying enough additional fuel to refuel the pod for the final landing'' I'm trying to come up with an idea/part to help me skip this part. Something the pod can use. I said- some sort of booster thinking forward to duna/mars. With a small powerful booster section connected to the bottom you could potentially get back into orbit. This could open up the possibility of multiple stops in one mission. 

9 hours ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

If I'm understanding you correctly- The pod doesn't actually have its own docking port. It has a place for a docking port- you need to add it in the VAB. If this isn't ur issue please post a pic.

Oh, well that just means i'm an idiot for not noticing

3 hours ago, Jasseji said:

Here is a Mission i just did using Sobol's SLS:

Pod was able to land on Mun and Take off no problems, then intercept the Loitering Service Module, burn back to return trajectory and safely land on Kerbin

What ae you using to re-dock the pod to the ship like that?

Nice though. I like!

Edited by harrisjosh2711

7 hours ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

What ae you using to re-dock the pod to the ship like that?

Nice though. I like!

Just good old Clamp-O-Tron's in between :P

But this is only for Visuals, in reality i believe the pod would dock to the Transfer Vehicle using the front port, in space it doesnt really matter if the design is streamlined.

I will be playing around with other Docking ports (docking rings) - the idea of something breaking the Heat Shield is a bit appaling :P Some kind of flat docking port is needed to fit around the HS

Oh and when we are on the topic of the exterior model design - dont you think the bottom Heat Shield should be a bit more round ? It looks a bit flat i think compared to other heat shields

Edit: you wrote that you managed to make a dock port which extends from around the shield ?

Edited by Jasseji

6 hours ago, Jasseji said:

Just good old Clamp-O-Tron's in between :P

But this is only for Visuals, in reality i believe the pod would dock to the Transfer Vehicle using the front port, in space it doesnt really matter if the design is streamlined.

I will be playing around with other Docking ports (docking rings) - the idea of something breaking the Heat Shield is a bit appaling :P Some kind of flat docking port is needed to fit around the HS

Oh and when we are on the topic of the exterior model design - dont you think the bottom Heat Shield should be a bit more round ? It looks a bit flat i think compared to other heat shields

Edit: you wrote that you managed to make a dock port which extends from around the shield ?

Yes, the docking port I made is exactly that. A ring/port that goes around the heat shield. One reason the heat shield doesn't extend as far. I made it with this idea in mind from the beginning. The docking rings from Near future construction will work as well. Although, you need to re-scale them. Anyways, as to the heat shield, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) @Bottle Rocketeer 500 is working on a new heat shield for it. At any rate, the heat shield isn't at the top of the list, but its on the list of things to do. 

I had another idea for the redocking, actually you dont need any extra part at all.

Make the bottom node of the Heatshield a Docking Port and use a Service Module like for the Orion with a ring - there the node should be a docking port as well, then add 4 animated Umbilical Clamps - this is i believe how it could be done in reality, the Pod approaches the module, sits itself on top of the place where it left, then via Remote Control the clamps are activated (or even activated when the pod touches some specific point)

@Jasseji I like that idea! I will have to look into how to make that animation. I know how to do one with no problem, but to have four- synchronized in the same animation?.?. Last time I tried that I ended up scraping the entire model. It works fine in blender, but when I export it to unity the animated objects are thrown all out of whack. 

3 minutes ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

@Jasseji I like that idea! I will have to look into how to make that animation. I know how to do one with no problem, but to have four- synchronized in the same animation?.?. Last time I tried that I ended up scraping the entire model. It works fine in blender, but when I export it to unity the animated objects are thrown all out of whack. 

great, you could just start with a ring without the clamps and add them later on :D

in the meantime, i seem to have problem with the RCS on the pod - top and bottom seems to have a far to low gain to be able to properly control it - any ideas ?

3 minutes ago, Jasseji said:

great, you could just start with a ring without the clamps and add them later on :D

in the meantime, i seem to have problem with the RCS on the pod - top and bottom seems to have a far to low gain to be able to properly control it - any ideas ?

I would prefer to go ahead an face that battle against the animations :mad: (gameface)!

Yeah the pod's RCS capabilities from the top and bottom are severely limited, although not useless. I followed the real v2 in setting up the ports and there aren't any that face directly in that direction (unless I missed something). I suppose this is a limitation on the real V2. With that said I am able to dock the pod by itself. You just have to hold that button a little bit harder:D. Maybe the RCS could be tweaked. Ill keep that in mind for a further update.

20 minutes ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

I would prefer to go ahead an face that battle against the animations :mad: (gameface)!

Yeah the pod's RCS capabilities from the top and bottom are severely limited, although not useless. I followed the real v2 in setting up the ports and there aren't any that face directly in that direction (unless I missed something). I suppose this is a limitation on the real V2. With that said I am able to dock the pod by itself. You just have to hold that button a little bit harder:D. Maybe the RCS could be tweaked. Ill keep that in mind for a further update.

I would help out but i never grasped the concepts of importing animation to Unity from Lightwave/Maya - and i cant grasp blender at all :P

11 hours ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

Regarding RCS, the tweak would have to be done on the model itself, yes ?

It's possible to dock, yes but a pain in the backside :D

9 hours ago, Jasseji said:

Regarding RCS, the tweak would have to be done on the model itself, yes ?

It's possible to dock, yes but a pain in the backside :D

No, RCS is nothing but empty game transforms in unity. The ports on the model are solely aesthetic. perhaps just rotating or adding one out the same port could fix it. I just don't want any RCS coming out of phantom ports. 

Maybe I'm just pretty good at docking,  lord knows I didn't ever think I would get it down when I started playing this game. Have you tried docking with mechjeb using my pod? I'm just curious how it does. I rarely use mechjeb anymore.

Edited by harrisjosh2711

This looks so good, it needs to be "stock".  So I have to ask: Any chance of an "abandon-ware" license which will retains the current license for as long as you care to maintain it, but automatically re-license the add-on components when conditions are met that indicate you no longer will maintain it -- relicense to something that allows others to maintain it like GPL for the Code and CC-by-NC-SA for the art ?

1 hour ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

No, RCS is nothing but empty game transforms in unity. The ports on the model are solely aesthetic. perhaps just rotating or adding one out the same port could fix it. I just don't want any RCS coming out of phantom ports. 

Maybe I'm just pretty good at docking,  lord knows I didn't ever think I would get it down when I started playing this game. Have you tried docking with mechjeb using my pod? I'm just curious how it does. I rarely use mechjeb anymore.

ye, tried it with MechJeb, it does the job but ater a few attempts

I second the License stuff :P

32 minutes ago, Murdabenne said:

This looks so good, it needs to be "stock".  So I have to ask: Any chance of an "abandon-ware" license which will retains the current license for as long as you care to maintain it, but automatically re-license the add-on components when conditions are met that indicate you no longer will maintain it -- relicense to something that allows others to maintain it like GPL for the Code and CC-by-NC-SA for the art ?

Yes I am 100% open to a "abandon-ware" license. The moment I decide to quit developing it, anyone who cares to maintain it may. I will change the licensing to reflect this at some point. 

Edited by harrisjosh2711

4 minutes ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@harrisjosh2711 Can you please upload the ITS to the Github page, because I want to test it out and possible get some good screenshots for you.

Sure, I was going to wait till the interior was finished till I released it, but I don't mind a beta release.:P It will be a few hours. I have a few errands to run and I need to export from blender one last time(darn normal). That model you seen is not yet ready for play, unfortunately.:(

1 hour ago, Jasseji said:

Please, i believe there are enough "holes" to make that RCS stuff work :P

Its on the list for the next update.

28 minutes ago, Jasseji said:

BTW, i tried to load the IVA in Unity but i believe the seats are abit too close to the Panel - i can try to make some kind of control center for the IVA if you'd like

Yes, those front seats did end up rather close. That was my first time setting up something like that. I made a mock IVA but I didn't consider the control board and stuff when I did it. The IVA is on the list of things to do as well. That would be awesome if you would make some type of control board for it. Ill welcome any help that's offered (credit given of course). I Need it! I start back to school in two weeks, It will be impossible to maintain the same level of output at that point. I will bust my butt to finish everything I possibly can before that.

I have a big Customer Installation starting next week (Databases, Servers) so i will propably set up Unity on my Work laptop again and try to come up with something :P (Or Copy part of the ALCOR Pod Layout)

Could you move the Seats a bit back in the meantime and get me an updated IVA-Frame ?

BTW, Started playin around with the Dragon in Stock-Scale RSS - i am still a strong advocate for a 2.5m Scale :P (in real life the Diamater is 3.7m)

Edited by Jasseji