Kerbalized SpaceX

9 hours ago, Nemesis75 said:

Are the RPM and Asset Props on Curse under a different name? I've searched the whole name, just RPM and just Asset Props with no luck.

Different names. ASET props, I misspelled it. Here are both the links to the mods.

RPM-https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/105821-131-rasterpropmonitor-still-putting-the-a-in-iva-v0293-1-january-2018/

Asset Props- https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/116430-aset-props-pack-v15-for-the-modders-who-create-iva/

I installed the mod last night, what a great mod ! I like being able to fly a Falcon 9!

Do have a question about the proper order of parts; what parts do I use to connect the 2nd stage to the 1st stage? If I use an interstage, the Mvac does not get a thing around it and is just open to the atmosphere - doesn't really look SpaceX like :P

There's numerous recovery mods out there - what's the suggested recovery mod so I can recover the first stages?

3 hours ago, Kip336 said:

I installed the mod last night, what a great mod ! I like being able to fly a Falcon 9!

Do have a question about the proper order of parts; what parts do I use to connect the 2nd stage to the 1st stage? If I use an interstage, the Mvac does not get a thing around it and is just open to the atmosphere - doesn't really look SpaceX like :P

There's numerous recovery mods out there - what's the suggested recovery mod so I can recover the first stages?

Thanks! Understand the confusion, their is actually two nodes on the very bottom of your upperstage tank, just slightly spaced apart. Connect your engine to the upper most of the two nodes on the bottom of the tank. Then use my Falcon 9 decoupler on the second node. This places the engine inside of the interstage decoupler. Let me know if this isn't clear and ill post you a screen shot.

23 minutes ago, eskimo22 said:

can you make the BFR crew cabin tweakscale compatible in the next update? and has @mrtagnan fixed the realplume configs yet?

Yeah, I'll do it if I remember. The BFR is going to be 5.5m in the new update anyways. Its almost ready just need to make sure everything is working right. I'm tied up with an exam this week so I unfortunately wont be able to get everything ready for upload. 

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:31 AM, Kip336 said:

Missed this part. FRMS is what I use. It creates save points that allow you to go back to the point of decouple and manually control those stages. 

On 3/8/2018 at 7:57 PM, harrisjosh2711 said:

Big changes coming concerning how the BFR functions. Thanks to some guy who didn't know what he was talking about that who pestering me on YouTube about how the BFR didn't work right. He was trying to argue that it was suppose to enter nose up even after I showed him the video from SpaceX proving him wrong. Any how I decided to change it up a little bit as thought I could make it a little easier/fun. Here is what I came up with. It may see a few small changes in the future like possibly and elevon but this will be for the most part how the BFR will function in the future. You guys like the new way or old way better?

Your guy might be right. 

What SpaceX video showed is the BFR landing on Mars, coming directly from Earth and breaking into its tin atmosphere without orbital insertion. In that case it does make sense to be nose down as there is almost no atmosphere on mars. While it was not said clearly, Musk said that, unlike Earth entry, Mars entry would degrade the shield. If I had to guess, I suspect landing on Earth would be nose up, like the shuttle. That way minimise G and is easier on the heat shield.

( I am very curious to see how they will flip the BFR in the much denser earth atmo, specially when coming back from mars. It have to be pretty high into the atmosphere I think, otherwise it would be pretty hard on the structure and crew.)

7 hours ago, RedParadize said:

Your guy might be right. 

What SpaceX video showed is the BFR landing on Mars, coming directly from Earth and breaking into its tin atmosphere without orbital insertion. In that case it does make sense to be nose down as there is almost no atmosphere on mars. While it was not said clearly, Musk said that, unlike Earth entry, Mars entry would degrade the shield. If I had to guess, I suspect landing on Earth would be nose up, like the shuttle. That way minimise G and is easier on the heat shield.

( I am very curious to see how they will flip the BFR in the much denser earth atmo, specially when coming back from mars. It have to be pretty high into the atmosphere I think, otherwise it would be pretty hard on the structure and crew.)

You are welcome to explain how that thing down there could ever coast in like a space shuttle. Keep in mind their dry weight is only 2-3 tons difference. Also note the payload for the BFR goes in nose. Mighty dangerous for coasting in slow in a thick atmosphere nose first. I'm not sure if any elevon's or cold gas thrusters in the world could alter the course of the beast, considering the tiny delta wing, flying below subsonic speeds. In the presentation you can see during the BFR's decent it gains a positive net lift for only a few brief seconds. "The BFR is entering here extremely fast" says Elon. The rest of the time its is falling down. It my opinion that the BFR is designed to be a professional air brake. But its certainly arguable and I'm sure we will see many changes before we see the real thing. It is SpaceX we talking about here. I like to look at it this way. SpaceX doesn't have a BFR, Kerbalized SpaceX does. Until then my BFR is right!:sticktongue: I'm joking.

39938118925_e2141d6e6f_b.jpg39938396045_9e8c6f1bb7_b.jpg

12 hours ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

You are welcome to explain how that thing down there could ever coast in like a space shuttle. Keep in mind their dry weight is only 2-3 tons difference. Also note the payload for the BFR goes in nose. Mighty dangerous for coasting in slow in a thick atmosphere nose first. I'm not sure if any elevon's or cold gas thrusters in the world could alter the course of the beast, considering the tiny delta wing, flying below subsonic speeds. In the presentation you can see during the BFR's decent it gains a positive net lift for only a few brief seconds. "The BFR is entering here extremely fast" says Elon. The rest of the time its is falling down. It my opinion that the BFR is designed to be a professional air brake. But its certainly arguable and I'm sure we will see many changes before we see the real thing. It is SpaceX we talking about here. I like to look at it this way. SpaceX doesn't have a BFR, Kerbalized SpaceX does. Until then my BFR is right!:sticktongue: I'm joking.

I do not think (and never said) that it would "fly" like the shuttle, not at lower altitude. But it no doubt can create enough lift to stay in the upper atmosphere long enough to slow down to more reasonable speed. As a exemple, look at the entry profile of the Apollo vs Soyuz, both have a high density/volume, one have much more lift than the other. 

Like I said, I am very curious to see how and when they plan to flip it in earth atmosphere. I have difficulty to imagine something that big turning around without breaking or having huge G stress. If I add to guess, it would probably be at high altitude, a bit like the booster are doing it, but that's just me guessing. Still,, even with the wings and altitude the weight distribution will be a issue. They might use LOX/LM vernier who knows. I wonder if they considered putting the header tank in the nose, that would bring the weight closer to the center... Anyway, for both case it would require more complex piping.

I have think a bit more about the "nose up or down" thing. It probably will depend on the approach. If the BFR is orbiting, then I would guess it would go nose up from the start with a angle of attack like the shuttle to minimise heat load. If it's coming from Mars however, it think it would be nose down at start and then roll to be nose up. The Idea is that BFR will be coming from Mars much quicker, above orbital speed. You do not want to have a too shallow entry profile or bounce on the atmosphere. So you start nose down with the lift pulling down to maintain the shuttle in the atmosphere, once you get bellow orbital speed then you roll nose upward to maintain yourself in high atmosphere as long as possible.

I think I put enough word like I "guess" and "think" to show my level of confidence on my own expertise on the subject. Don't you think?

since the BFR will be 5.5m in the new update, the amount of fuel should (to be accurate to a stock fuel tank of equivalent) be 25955 LF and 31732 OX. The thrusters should use LF/OX instead of monopropellant and should have a thrust of around 30 KN (SpaceX will use LOX/LM for the RCS thrusters).

Edited by eskimo22

7 hours ago, RedParadize said:

I do not think (and never said) that it would "fly" like the shuttle, not at lower altitude. But it no doubt can create enough lift to stay in the upper atmosphere long enough to slow down to more reasonable speed. As a exemple, look at the entry profile of the Apollo vs Soyuz, both have a high density/volume, one have much more lift than the other. 

Like I said, I am very curious to see how and when they plan to flip it in earth atmosphere. I have difficulty to imagine something that big turning around without breaking or having huge G stress. If I add to guess, it would probably be at high altitude, a bit like the booster are doing it, but that's just me guessing. Still,, even with the wings and altitude the weight distribution will be a issue. They might use LOX/LM vernier who knows. I wonder if they considered putting the header tank in the nose, that would bring the weight closer to the center... Anyway, for both case it would require more complex piping.

I have think a bit more about the "nose up or down" thing. It probably will depend on the approach. If the BFR is orbiting, then I would guess it would go nose up from the start with a angle of attack like the shuttle to minimise heat load. If it's coming from Mars however, it think it would be nose down at start and then roll to be nose up. The Idea is that BFR will be coming from Mars much quicker, above orbital speed. You do not want to have a too shallow entry profile or bounce on the atmosphere. So you start nose down with the lift pulling down to maintain the shuttle in the atmosphere, once you get bellow orbital speed then you roll nose upward to maintain yourself in high atmosphere as long as possible.

I think I put enough word like I "guess" and "think" to show my level of confidence on my own expertise on the subject. Don't you think?

That atleast makes a lot more sense to me. When I think about the entry of the BFR I am doing that from the perspective of a interplanetary ballistic trajectory. Re-entry from LEO could absolutely be different making the assumption that the BFR isn't engineered to a point where it is only designed to operate in one fashion. As to the weight distribution and lift, that is why I say we will likely see many changes to the BFR before actual production. That is going to be a head ache for SpaceX and could potentially cause some huge changes in the design. I guess we will have to wait for them. It going to be exciting!

5 hours ago, eskimo22 said:

since the BFR will be 5.5m in the new update, the amount of fuel should (to be accurate to a stock fuel tank of equivalent) be 25955 LF and 31732 OX. The thrusters should use LF/OX instead of monopropellant and should have a thrust of around 30 KN (SpaceX will use LOX/LM for the RCS thrusters).

I will check it out. Depends on how much delta V it has if I use those specific numbers. I will change the fuel for the thrusters.

6 hours ago, eskimo22 said:

the real BFS will have ~6.5 to 7 KM/s of delta V I think the Kerbal BFS should match that.

We will see.

5 hours ago, eskimo22 said:

Plz put the BFR decoupler in the composites node on the tech tree as opposed to the meta-materials node

I can do that. 

42 minutes ago, eskimo22 said:

Now that i think about it, the entire BFR (minus the engines) will be made from carbon fiber, so the entire thing should be in composites not just the decoupler.

1.4.1 wont work on my computer, what to do?

If you are saying I should split the BFR into pieces, no. If you want that level of realism you shouldn’t be playing stock KSP anyways. Fuel mass vs structural mass is in no way realistic in KSP.  Stock fuel tanks weigh far more than they should.

as to why you can’t run 1.4.1 that is something you need to take over to the squad help forums. That sucks!

Edited by harrisjosh2711

5 minutes ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

If you are saying I should split the BFR into pieces, no. If you want that level of realism you shouldn’t be playing stock KSP anyways. Fuel mass vs structural mass is in no way realistic in KSP.  Stock fuel tanks weigh far more than they should.

no, I am saying that the existing BFR ship and booster parts should be put in the composites along with the decoupler. no edits to the dry mass.

Edited by eskimo22

1 hour ago, eskimo22 said:

no, I am saying that the existing BFR ship and booster parts should be put in the composites along with the decoupler. no edits to the dry mass.

Oh, I see what you are saying- I feel dumb lol. When you said composites I thought you were saying that I needed to break the BFR into pieces. Composites essentially means made up of different pieces. Yea, I will look into that. At some point I want to set the mod up to give it a direction if you want to play a spaceX career mode. I just haven't made it their yet. It depends on how early you can get composites if I will put it all there or not. 

8 hours ago, eskimo22 said:

I looked up the delta V on a BFS, a BFS will have just over 6 km/s of delta V with a 150t payload and 9 km/s without a payload

I can’t give the bfr that much delta v. If earths orbital velocity is 8500 ms and kerbins is 2400 than kerbins orbital requirement is apx. 28% of earths. So maybe the bfr should have 9km * .28= 2520ms with zero payload? Also, it seems this delta v number is only for the upper stage as 6km/s falls far short of orbital requirements (bare minimum u would need around 9.5km/s) this means if I make the bfr how you ask, when assuming how much fuel the bfr carries, you would likely have around 15km/s, which has no place in a stock herbal. I like playing rss because it bothers me how slow the orbital speeds are in stock. Literally in a to scale system you are traveling at 240% the speed of stock and hence need 240% the resources meaning a bfr in stock would have almost 2.5 x the delta v it would need.

Edited by harrisjosh2711

43 minutes ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

I can’t give the bfr that much delta v. If earths orbital velocity is 8500 ms and kerbins is 2400 than kerbins orbital requirement is apx. 28% of earths. So maybe the bfr should have 9km * .28= 2520ms with zero payload? Also, it seems this delta v number is only for the upper stage as 6km/s falls far short of orbital requirements (bare minimum u would need around 9.5km/s) this means if I make the bfr how you ask, when assuming how much fuel the bfr carries, you would likely have around 15km/s, which has no place in a stock herbal. I like playing rss because it bothers me how slow the orbital speeds are in stock. Literally in a to scale system you are traveling at 240% the speed of stock and hence need 240% the resources meaning a bfr in stock would have almost 2.5 x the delta v it would need.

I agree, 9km/s is INSANELY OP in stock KSP. 

6.5-7 km/s is a better delta v for a BFS without a payload (that's what it currently has)

Edited by eskimo22