Ike is too Easy to intercept

I would say yes - Ike has a very large SOI  relative to its parent.   This can make maneuvers tricky,  and you have to be careful about leaving ships in orbit that will get captured later.   Long term orbits should either be pretty low over Duna or pretty high.   

But this also makes travel between the bodies,  and gravity assists,  cheap and easy. 

Well, lets quote that description:

Scientists have postulated that Ike is seemingly perfectly positioned to sneakily interfere with any object that presumes to come orbiting near its parent.

in other words, it's intentional.

I've moved Ike far away from Duna in my game, but made duna a moon of an even bigger planet based on Mars, and Duna is even worse:

Spoiler

QDvfP57.png

RqrWYwm.png

86vXyCz.png

8 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

Well, lets quote that description:

in other words, it's intentional.

I've moved Ike far away from Duna in my game, but made duna a moon of an even bigger planet based on Mars, and Duna is even worse:

Hide contents

QDvfP57.png

RqrWYwm.png

86vXyCz.png

what planet did you add? Does it have a breathable atmosphere?

Breathable for engines, yes.

For humans (and presumably kerbals?) no.

The MW is based on the same composition as the science reports from the atmosphere analysis:

"The atmosphere appears to be nearly 50% CO2, 40% nitrogen, and 10% Oxygen."

The pressure at sea level is 0.2 atmospheres. Thus the partial pressure of oxygen at sea level is about the partial pressure of oxygen on earth at 16km... nearly 2x as high as mt Everest. I should remind you that even though people can climb Everest without supplemental oxygen, its been found they suffer minor brain damage by doing so. Also worth noting, a U2 could fly over 20km, so that's clearly enough oxygen for jets to still work.

However... if you were to compress the air, then there'd be the hypercapnia problem. If you compressed the air, and put it in a greenhouse, and let plants/algae/cyanobacteria etc pull out CO2 and pump out more oxygen, then it would be breathable.

But who knows about kerbal biology?

In many respects the Earth and Moon can be considered a binary system, because of how similar in scale the two are in terms of mass.

Ike is ~10 times closer the mass of Duna than the Moon is to the Earth. And what, a hundred times closer? Duna and Ike is a binary system. You can not interact with one without interacting with the other.

Best way to avoid it is to focus on Duna then doing the plane change / mid course correction burn and check if Ike messes up, if so do an braking or acceleration burn to move your arrival some hours, this will put ike in another position You would also need an radial component as Pe will also move because of this. 

I actually like how close Ike and Duna are to one another; in both size and distance. It makes for some really great visuals. When you're in Duna orbit, Ike is tantalizingly close. And in Ike orbit, Duna is so close you could almost reach out and touch it. I think for most players, this is the first planet you travel to. You've landed on the Mun (which is awesome) and you've landed on Minmus (which was extremely cool), but now you've traveled to another planet (that has a moon of it's own), and you begin to see that you've only just scratched the surface of this game. That it's going to keep giving you more and you're going to love every bit of it.

On 8.7.2017 at 6:37 PM, KerikBalm said:

Breathable for engines, yes.

"The atmosphere appears to be nearly 50% CO2, 40% nitrogen, and 10% Oxygen."

I wonder if 50% CO2 would allow for a reasonable combustion?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.