Rocket Science

Regor

Do you rocket science before you build rockets?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you rocket science before you build rockets?

WARNING! BIG IMAGES AND INSANE SCIENCE!

Hello forum,

So I decided to build a rocket that gets into orbit, WITH SCIENCE.

I started with looking at how much dV i needed:

Spoiler

iAwMVW6.jpg

Once I knew how much dV i needed, I needed to think about the stages:

Spoiler

fAFZqVY.jpg

Then I did the calculations to find out the Wm/Dm ratio:

Spoiler

CPkDelG.jpg

So I needed to know how much fuel I needed using SCIENCE and trial and error:

Spoiler

SNi9Ctf.jpg

Then we needed to start on the lifting stage:

Spoiler

9SqRMvv.jpg

So I needed to know how much fuel I needed for this stage:

Spoiler

sMk6ftm.jpg

However, It had way too much dV:

Spoiler

UavwUBC.jpg

So we needed to optimise:

Spoiler

vtvHtLK.jpg

And I found the perfect combination:

Spoiler

HcnkIIX.jpg

I hope you enjoyed taking a look at this thread,

mabdi36 

I don't use MechJeb, so there's always some variation in dV budget for LKO ascent. So I typically just overengineer my first stage comfortably, and do the math for all the other stages.

QuantumG's dV calculator is hugely useful, unless you're just dying to do the calculations by hand. (QuantumG is one of the regular posters over at the NSF forums.) And even if you do it partly by hand, no one calculates logarithms manually. If I have a lot of dV calcs to do, I write the formulas out in Excel...this is particularly good for optimization problems where I have to iterate over a range.

Just now, sevenperforce said:

I don't use MechJeb, so there's always some variation in dV budget for LKO ascent. So I typically just overengineer my first stage comfortably, and do the math for all the other stages.

QuantumG's dV calculator is hugely useful, unless you're just dying to do the calculations by hand. (QuantumG is one of the regular posters over at the NSF forums.) And even if you do it partly by hand, no one calculates logarithms manually. If I have a lot of dV calcs to do, I write the formulas out in Excel...this is particularly good for optimization problems where I have to iterate over a range.

I really like doing math by hand

I can't yet see the images (stupid mobile operator !), but is this meant for in-game ? Thought this was yet another attempt at making RL rockets.

EDIT : My problems for KSP rockets are usually with the controls; most of the rockets have troubles going at max Q (I think) so one wrong movement and it's done, no space for you today...

Edited by YNM

1 hour ago, mabdi36 said:

No, it's hard paper math

Well, what I was asking is whether this is for Kerbin (in-game) or Earth. 3.3 km/s is waay too low for LEO. Nothing stops you from using abacus in-game. :sticktongue:

Edited by YNM

4 minutes ago, YNM said:

Well, what I was asking is whether this is for Kerbin (in-game) or Earth. 3.3 km/s is waay too low for LEO. Nothing stops you from using abacus in-game. :sticktongue:

No its LKO not LEO

I believe it is 9.5km/s in real life

Edited by mabdi36

6 minutes ago, mabdi36 said:

No its LKO not LEO

I know, it is. It wasn't clear without the images as I can't see them back then (now on wi-fi, where imgur and such isn't blocked by stupid internet controls).

4 hours ago, mabdi36 said:

You need 9,4km/s to get to orbit IRL, but from my experience in Realism Overhaul, sometimes you could do with 9,1km/s and other days you need 10km/s. So it changes. But 9,4/5 is the ideal amount.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.