Imgur albums broken ... again?!

Azimech

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Imgur link is still not working on this forum, but it's working on the French KSP forum with this code

[diapo-imgur]https://imgur.com/a/Tbxre[/diapo-imgur]

So, why is it impossible here ?

Edited by gilflo

5 hours ago, gilflo said:

Imgur link is still not working on this forum, but it's working on the French KSP forum with this code

[diapo-imgur]https://imgur.com/a/Tbxre[/diapo-imgur]

So, why is it impossible here ?

I dunno. Let's see if our tech guy does. @ManeTI

• 2 weeks later...

"And things seemed to go downhill even further, looking at the above post."
Now read this again with the deepest voice you ever heard in a commercial.
Slap this voice to a popular figure ... like the Marlboro man ... see his voice and observe his eyes ... and by some great, spiritual mechanism you will know ... that everything will be alright.

"Hey, that's a mighty fine ceiling you've got! Wish I had one of those.
Yep.
Beautiful ceiling.
All around.

I mean above me.
Hey, lady, you never smoke in here, do ya?
Well, you know ... looks pristine.
Gimme a pack of those silvers, 20+ Max turbo's.
A bit to the right, gal.
No, I want menthols.
Yeah? So I changed habits.
Keep the change. Maybe you can buy me a drink after work.
Yeah. That's a very big cocktail.
What? No, my place is a mess. How's yours?
I'll see you at 9."

On 11/15/2017 at 9:31 PM, Vanamonde said:

Works for me. Did you use the bbcode link, @Zeiss Ikon

No, I didn't use the bbcode link.  Last I heard, all I had to do was paste in the URL.

VGxxem6.png

That doesn't look much like an image...  EDIT: In the editor.  Apparently it only embeds when you save the message.  Makes it hard to be sure you're getting your images in the right order...

Edited by Zeiss Ikon

12 hours ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

That doesn't look much like an image...  EDIT: In the editor.  Apparently it only embeds when you save the message.  Makes it hard to be sure you're getting your images in the right order...

I see the embedded image before I post but I am using the direct link:
6OjbZfq.png

Why would direct links work for some and not for others?

Testing:

https://imgur.com/cxHeEA4

cxHeEA4.png

https://imgur.com/cxHeEA4

cxHeEA4.png

Aha!!  None of the links supplied by imgur work the way I'm used to, but if I'm viewing their preview, I can right click and "copy link location" (exact menu text is likely to vary in different browsers) and paste here, and the link embeds inside the editor as it used to do.  BBcode works once saved, but doesn't show in the editor.  Links provided by imgur's functions always show as links.  :rolleyes::confused:

12 hours ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

Why would direct links work for some and not for others?

Aha!!  None of the links supplied by imgur work the way I'm used to, but if I'm viewing their preview, I can right click and "copy link location" (exact menu text is likely to vary in different browsers) and paste here, and the link embeds inside the editor as it used to do.  BBcode works once saved, but doesn't show in the editor.  Links provided by imgur's functions always show as links.  :rolleyes::confused:

To use the built in image display, you use a link directly to the image , eg: http://imgur[.]com/blahblah[.]jpg or whatever.  imgur provides a bunch of link types, usually without the file extension so the servers can interpret what you want based on browser, and feed you different formats (eg, html5 v anim gif etc).  If yu use the actual image file link, it's fine, for imgur and for any other image hosting site.

It's the forum's code for displaying embedded imgur albums, which are a "special" imgur thing, is what keeps going haywire.  And my understanding of the main issue, is imgur keep changing how they expect embeddings.  Which then means a stack of changes in the forum code.  Esp as the forum doesn't allow anything but the wysiwyg editor, you can't really change the embedding code.  It's built into automagicness. which then needs updating.  And even then, old album links will still be broken.

I have to say, the old forum software worked fine. And having used fora for almost 20 years, didn't have any reason to complain. The WYSIWYG interface however has caused me lots of frustration. And when I finally tried it with a smartphone this year, it was even worse. So much that I try to avoid it and rather use my PC.

8 hours ago, Azimech said:

I have to say, the old forum software worked fine. And having used fora for almost 20 years, didn't have any reason to complain. The WYSIWYG interface however has caused me lots of frustration. And when I finally tried it with a smartphone this year, it was even worse. So much that I try to avoid it and rather use my PC.

Yup the move to the new software was not a step in the right direction.. I get cold sweats at the thought of yet again going through all my pictures and albums and checking and updating them. I just can't be bothered any more.. I do this for fun and that aint fun.

Edited by Majorjim!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.