[1.12.x] PatchManager

• 1 month later...

Not a bug per say, but a comment on the default behavior. By default, patch manager stores active patches in the patch manager directory, as opposed to nested within the parent mod. Three problems. 1) There is no warning to a user who is used to uninstalling a mod by deleting its folder that part of its functionality has been copied out of said folder. This would puzzle and frustrate me for a while before I figured it out. 2) Some module manager patches make use of their directories alphabetical position. This is probably bad practice, but one that is totally broken by the default behavior. 3) For whatever reason, some of my patches, which are not dependent on alphabetical position, work when nested in my folder but fail to apply when nested in yours. My best guess is that a file name length limit is getting exceeded when you append data to the front end of the file name. Regardless, it was annoying to figure out. For now, when I push the dev release of methane rockets, I'll have to instruct users to change their patch manager settings to nest my patches in my folder. I'd perfer not to have to do that kind of thing on a real release though.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I've been using Patch Manager to apply personal tweaks and to make it easier for friends to do the same.

While I really like PM's flexibility in managing tweaks/patches, I share the opinion of  @zekew11 in that it bugs me that the default behavior is to store patches in PM's folder, since like he mentioned, users will remove a certain mod folder and expect all changes made by that folder to 'be gone'. Then again I appreciate the use case mentioned in the OP of ease of distributing a specific setup of tweaks to others.

Here's my suggestion:
- By default store patches in the mod folder;
- Add a "Export current patches" button to the ingame UI that creates a folder containing all the currently active tweaks;

That would appease both use cases since whoever 'installs' the exported folder will be able to make all the changes 'be gone' by simply removing the folder. It also makes it more user friendly for someone to share their current setup with friends without having to dig through PM's folders and see which parts need to be kept and which don't.

Besides that I'd honestly prefer the stock KSP UI style and it'd be nice if the window didn't have a horizontal scrollbar all the time when it isn't needed. :P

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Just in case, this isn't supposed to work in 1.9, right? Asking just in case it is supposed to work anyways and happens to be not working in my game for any other reason besides the 1.9 update

EDIT: Nevermind, it's an issue with the old Keridian Dynamics parts pack

Edited by juanml82

On 2/19/2020 at 8:14 PM, juanml82 said:

Just in case, this isn't supposed to work in 1.9, right? Asking just in case it is supposed to work anyways and happens to be not working in my game for any other reason besides the 1.9 update

EDIT: Nevermind, it's an issue with the old Keridian Dynamics parts pack

Just to clarify, this works fine in 1.9

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
5 hours ago, hemeac said:

@linuxgurugamer, I can see some great potential for this with my tech tree as a way to make some of the configuration options more visible to players.  When the patches are activated, are they loaded under the normal MM load order on the next restart (ie. respect BEFORE and AFTER)?

Yes, that is correct.  All this does is move specified patches in and out of specified folders, and the player is instructed that the changes won't take effect until the next reboot

@linuxgurugamer, this is perfect, think this will help users who may want to change some of the options I've set without them needing to understand MM.  Can you add a note on the CTB and Toolbar Controllers as required dependencies on the OP?  I wasn't able to get the window to pop up without them.  As an aside, this is working in 1.11.0

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.