Guess what I just found out...

Chel

They give the people in cadaver lab their names so that their status as humans is maintained, to try and keep it as respectful as possible. There is still some joking according to my wife, partially as a defense mechanism, really.

You should hear our dinner conversations, lol. Our kids are probably a little odd as a result :wink: .

yup it remind me their lunch conversations as well, (some peop's are chocked by such conversations while there's no reason in fact) i myself wondered if i should not do something like that at some point ... but it's neccessary depressurization let's say ^^ "itadakimasu they said" hehe

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

12 hours ago, qzgy said:

Where do you live and what have you done to see that kind of stuff?

Also, not all humans deserve to die a painful death....

I saw the first dude, when there was a serious earthquake, something broke, or blew up, I don't remember.

Second was just freaking around, threw something into a campfire, it blew up, Tadaaa! Congratulations! You are on fire.

All humans, deserve death, you can't just escape it. Probably because we do so many awful things, that we don't even think about it.

4 minutes ago, cratercracker said:

All humans, deserve death, you can't just escape it. Probably because we do so many awful things, that we don't even think about it.

Yeah, doing awful things without thinking about it is very common in nature. But I wouldn't go so far as to say anything, including humans, deserves a painful death. Everything has to die, eventually. But most animals try to pass their genes on before that happens...

But there's no reason to fear death. After you die, the atoms and compounds in your body can then be used by other life. That's cool, at least for me. And I would consider it honorable to have my body used as a resource for other life. After my time on this Earth is finished, of course. Preferably after a long, long, time...

Occasionally i had the pleasure to dissect stonehard dead moose out of frozen lakes.

With a rather large chainsaw.

Fish appreciate this service, having a ton of slowly rotten flesh in the water doesn`t make a joyful spring. :wink:

On 11/07/2017 at 2:11 PM, Bill Phil said:

But there's no reason to fear death. After you die, the atoms and compounds in your body can then be used by other life. That's cool, at least for me. And I would consider it honorable to have my body used as a resource for other life. 

totally this here as well

Welhp, think about it this way (I guess), the animal will die, it`s a fact of life, but why it dies is as important, the animal will die for ye`s learning, but it also dies to give some perspective (we are just squishy meat bags with a startling capacity to think :wink:), and once you realize that, you kind of get the fact that you are not, in fact invincible (which sadly, most people of my age believe.... I think), and... yeah. Last year, we were doing sustainability as a unit in science, and the teacher showed us a video of a plastic straw being removed from a sea turtle`s nose (ouch!), everyone was all like "that poor sea turtle!" or something, and my only reaction was (pretty much) "Better out than in!" am I cold and heartless? 

I personally have done two dissections so far, and there will be probably more next year, I`ll be completely honest, I don`t really like the sight of blood, like, large wounds will make me puke, there`s no question about it (hey! I want to be an aerospace engineer! not a surgeon!) but, just grit ye`s teeth and accept that it`s something that you have to do, and try to get something out of it..... and don`t bounce the lens around the room. no, really. sheep eye dissections.

Half my class thinks i`m heartless from that sea turtle.....

To me, dissecting animals and various animal parts has been an invaluable experience. Even though it is regretful that an animal has had to die for it, it certainly did not die in vain. Other than learning facts about biology, it has created a sense of awe for the complexity and elegance of nature and the realisation that humans are not much different from other animal species. It has fostered feelings of kinship and the need to protect these things that are obviously so very delicate. I do not think that images in a book could ever have conveyed this at the same level.

Simply existing means causing suffering and death. The act of cleaning your kitchen lays waste to millions of lives in the form of bacteria colonies. Eating means taking away the only Earthly possession other organisms have and consuming it. Driving a car causes thousands of beautifully diverse and complex bugs to be splattered to death with no usefulness or significance at all. The best we can do is to reduce the suffering as much as we can, to honour the lives that have to be taken for us to exist and to make sure those deaths are of as much use as possible.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.