I'm buidling a deep space probe to Saturn and Jupiter, but the core overheats (on Earth and space) after a few minutes in flight.I'm using an RTG to power it and some radiators to cool it down,but they don't seem to be powerful enough or even to work.I noticed that I produce way too much electricty than I actually need and maybe this is the cause of the overheat.

This is the message I get and a picture of the probe for comparsion:

MnReV2c.png

BppXiqH.png

So yeah , any solutions?Maybe less power?I really have no idea.

Edited by Mr. Sandman

I'm not sure I see any radiators there in your pic. In any case, do you understand the one-hop rule for fixed radiators? And that retractable radiators cool your entire ship? Which kind are you using, in general?

Just now, bewing said:

I'm not sure I see any radiators there in your pic. In any case, do you understand the one-hop rule for fixed radiators? And that retractable radiators cool your entire ship? Which kind are you using, in general?

They are hidden inside the probe and they are fixed radiators.Does a fixed radiator differ from a retractable one?You can just explain me the way KSP handles heat and/or general rules to prevent this.

Yes, the fixed and retractables are different.

Fixed radiators are attached to a parent part.

They only cool:

* the part they are directly attached to.

* all the parts that are directly attached to that parent part.

And that's all. So if you want them to cool your RTGs, then the radiators have to be directly attached to the same part that all the RTGs are attached to.

Retractable radiators cool your entire ship, as I said. So you can place them anywhere.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Sandman said:

Does a fixed radiator differ from a retractable one?

A retractable radiator draws heat away from your entire ship no matter where the radiator is placed or the heat is produced.
A fixed radiator draws heat away from the part it is attached to and the parts attached to that. But ONLY if you activate it!

By default all radiators are switched off. Retractables are switched on when they are unfolded. Statics must be activated manually.

Edit: Ninja'd by @bewing

Edited by Tex_NL

32 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

A retractable radiator draws heat away from your entire ship no matter where the radiator is placed or the heat is produced.
A fixed radiator draws heat away from the part it is attached to and the parts attached to that. But ONLY if you activate it!

By default all radiators are switched off. Retractables are switched on when they are unfolded. Statics must be activated manually.

Edit: Ninja'd by @bewing

34 minutes ago, bewing said:

Yes, the fixed and retractables are different.

Fixed radiators are attached to a parent part.

They only cool:

* the part they are directly attached to.

* all the parts that are directly attached to that parent part.

And that's all. So if you want them to cool your RTGs, then the radiators have to be directly attached to the same part that all the RTGs are attached to.

Retractable radiators cool your entire ship, as I said. So you can place them anywhere.

I'm trying to do a Voyager-ish probe , so I would avoid big retractable radiators.I saw a mod called "Heat Pumps" (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/115734-heat-pumps-v130-for-real-fuels-may-1-2017/) and I'll try it later.I just want to drain my heat from the Plutonium RTG in a sneaky way.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.