Orbit the sun and return

The goal of this challenge is to get into an orbit around the Sun, do one complete orbit and return to Kerbin safely. Post a video or screenshots.

Bonus #1: Land on the Mun, then get into orbit around the Sun and return to Kerbin.

Bonus #2: Land on Minmus, get into orbit around the Sun and return to Kerbin.

Bonus #3: Land on the Mun and Minmus, get into orbit around the Sun and return to Kerbin.

Rules: You cannot hack unlimited fuel into parts, but you can use mod parts that do not have unlimited fuel.

No Mechjeb or any other autopilot/auto orbit tool.

Happy Flying!

This is quite easy really, but could be hard for some newer players.

Well, I'm not new to the game, but I still can't return from a Kerbol orbit, because I don't know when I need to make a TKI burn... Would it be similar to a TMI?

Dear Mrs. Kerman,

We are happy to report that your son, Sigvey Kerman, has returned safely from his first experimental Kerbol Orbit Mission, and should be safely returned to you within 3-5 business days. Young Sigvey performed his role with admirable stoicism during his largely-unscheduled-1300-day-mission, and expressed a good deal of excitement when told he could return home. Due to his prolonged time in isolation in deep space, he now pretty much expresses a good deal of excitement regardless of stimuli, or the lack thereof. The single-occupant 1m-craft Sigvey piloted functioned well within nominal parameters, we think. We actually forgot to install any sort of scientific or measurement equipment on board, so we can't really tell for sure. Boy, did we have a big laugh about that when we found out, with poor Sigvey half way to the sun and all. Nevertheless, your son has acquitted himself well and would be up for a promotion, if it weren't for the incessant screaming.

Congratulations, and regrets, Mrs. Kerman. You should be very proud of, and very worried about your son.

I didn't do just one orbit of Kerbol and I didn't stop at any of the bonus waypoints, but I'm going to submit an entry anyway.

I setup my escape burn such that I'd have an apoapsis equal to Kerbin's orbital distance and a periapsis of 7.0855 million KM. This results in an orbit that is about 1 hour shorter than 2/3 of a Kerbin year. Three trips around this orbit finds you arriving at apoapsis just slightly ahead of Kerbin after 212 days in space, with Kerbin closing at about 1575 m/s. A few small orbital trim manoeuvres are all that are then needed to re-enter.

These are my screenshots:

AaIkf.jpg

dQQ54.png

x8Alu.png

Returning to Kerbin after 2 years away]

Total delta-V expended from initial 103 km high parking orbit through re-entry ~1300 m/s.

7mqCL.png

Jumjz.jpg

I should have taken screenies of my recent extra-kerbin trip. I brought my aphelion to 29 million km and then did a retrograde burn until I was in a retrograde orbit of the sun and returned to Kerbin that way, when I captured Kerbin i was moving 15 km/s relative to the planet. (this is called a bi-elliptic transfer isn't it?)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.